Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Customer Affairs - AKA Ghost Town

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK Customer Affairs - AKA Ghost Town

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:43 pm

The schedule change/cancellation timing may be critical as there is a two week notification clause in EC261 which might come in to play. To find out if it your flight's schedule was changed rather than being cancelled you need access to flightradar (or similar) historical data which you may have to pay for, although I think somewhere on Flyertalk is a thread where people post requests and those with paid access provide the information.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Originally Posted by ft101
The schedule change/cancellation timing may be critical as there is a two week notification clause in EC261 which might come in to play. To find out if it your flight's schedule was changed rather than being cancelled you need access to flightradar (or similar) historical data which you may have to pay for, although I think somewhere on Flyertalk is a thread where people post requests and those with paid access provide the information.
Yeah, the issue here is that they have been unable to provide proof that they did contact me I believe? If the flight was changed or cancelled I believe they have to provide proof that I was personally informed and they have failed to do that, but I want to find out if even the "schedule change" was true before I go back to them or to a lawyer. So thanks for the tip about having a look on FT for someone who can help me out.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:46 pm

Under EC261 the burden of proof is with the airline. If the airline didn't provide the appropriate notice then better to just get on with enforcement and leave them to produce their proof.

EK have a record of being evasive when it comes to EC261, so using the likes of Bott & Co might be worth while even though it costs 35% of the income.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
Under EC261 the burden of proof is with the airline. If the airline didn't provide the appropriate notice then better to just get on with enforcement and leave them to produce their proof.
I'm not sure of the legalities etc, but I seem to remember reading that all they have to do is prove they sent it, not that the intended recipient received it, which opens another can of worms. It can all get very messy.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:08 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by planet_erg
Yeah, the issue here is that they have been unable to provide proof that they did contact me I believe? If the flight was changed or cancelled I believe they have to provide proof that I was personally informed and they have failed to do that, but I want to find out if even the "schedule change" was true before I go back to them or to a lawyer. So thanks for the tip about having a look on FT for someone who can help me out.
EK 194 did not operate on 11 December 2018. I guess they were correct re schedule change.

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:58 pm

Seems like it was cancelled, hence EK claiming the 2 week notice which I think removes the EC261 compensation entitlement.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Seems like it was cancelled, hence EK claiming the 2 week notice which I think removes the EC261 compensation entitlement.
Agreed, so it really comes down to the notice and the burden of proof question. The fact that they claim to have sent me an email AND and SMS and neither were received (details have been verified as correct) would suggest that they did not actually contact me. And email being sent is one thing, but SMS messages are logged with phone companies and there is no record with my provider of having received an SMS on that day. I agree, I will probably have to lawyer up on this, which is disappointing and expensive, but I don's see many other options. I have given them 14 days, so I will keep you all posted.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Fliar
EK customer service has completely let me down. I had a flight cancelled and two downgraded from F to C - no response whatsoever, not via email, not when calling, not via twitter. Amazing.

So, I tend to feel a considerable degree of sympathy of the OP.
Did you get any type of compensation/reimbursement for not getting First class, which you paid for?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:07 pm

Agreed, so it really comes down to the notice and the burden of proof question. The fact that they claim to have sent me an email AND and SMS and neither were received (details have been verified as correct) would suggest that they did not actually contact me. And email being sent is one thing, but SMS messages are logged with phone companies and there is no record with my provider of having received an SMS on that day. I agree, I will probably have to lawyer up on this, which is disappointing and expensive, but I don's see many other options. I have given them 14 days, so I will keep you all posted.
Just put it in hands of Bott & Co and leave them to get on with it. Unless you have a UK address in which case MCOL is easy.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I received this from emirates today:

"In accordance with the EC regulation 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of the European Union, you are entitled to EUR600.00 (Euros Six Hundred only). Please be advised that this is the maximum settlement and any additional expenses incurred, which are not coved by the amount above should have been claimed on your own travel insurance.

The Emirates Skywards miles (30,000 miles) that were initially credited to your account have now been cancelled.

In order for us to process the payment, please ensure that you complete the attached form, manually sign on them, and return a clear scanned copy to me along with a copy of your passport (photograph page), quoting reference DXB/X/SU/xxxxxx/xxxxxxx in your return email. Signatures on the form and passport must tally; virtual signatures are not accepted.

Emirates will process the payment upon receipt of the completed and signed documents, within 21 working days.

Thank you for writing to us, and for allowing me to respond.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Affairs"

Taking back to 30,000 miles they credited for the inconvenience is mean spirited of them, but does not surprise me. Can anyone confirm if they are correct about the expenses? I am pretty sure that the law says that I am entitled to expenses on top of the €600?

Last edited by Saltire74; Jan 16, 2019 at 3:25 pm Reason: Removal Of reference number
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I received this from emirates today:

"In accordance with the EC regulation 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of the European Union, you are entitled to EUR600.00 (Euros Six Hundred only). Please be advised that this is the maximum settlement and any additional expenses incurred, which are not coved by the amount above should have been claimed on your own travel insurance.

The Emirates Skywards miles (30,000 miles) that were initially credited to your account have now been cancelled.

In order for us to process the payment, please ensure that you complete the attached form, manually sign on them, and return a clear scanned copy to me along with a copy of your passport (photograph page), quoting reference DXB/X/SU/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxin your return email. Signatures on the form and passport must tally; virtual signatures are not accepted.

Emirates will process the payment upon receipt of the completed and signed documents, within 21 working days.

Thank you for writing to us, and for allowing me to respond.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Affairs"

Taking back to 30,000 miles they credited for the inconvenience is mean spirited of them, but does not surprise me. Can anyone confirm if they are correct about the expenses? I am pretty sure that the law says that I am entitled to expenses on top of the €600?
They're correct

Last edited by Saltire74; Jan 16, 2019 at 3:27 pm Reason: Removal of ref. no. From quoted post
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:00 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
They're correct
Not completely. I'm not sure what expenses are being claimed (I can't face reading the OP again), but EK have a "Duty of Care" on top of the €600. So, if a flight cancellation meant that an overnight in a hotel was required, EK would need to provide this or pay up in the case the the passenger needed to book for themselves. Similarly, meals and transport would also need to be provided.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
... Can anyone confirm if they are correct about the expenses? I am pretty sure that the law says that I am entitled to expenses on top of the €600?
Under EU261/2004 you are certainly entitled to duty of care related expenses. It is not up to EK to tell you to use Travel Insurance.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:25 am

Indeed does the law says so.

Hotel, reasonable costs for food/beverages (usually airlines provide vouchers with quite stingy amounts or for buffets) and other costs directly related to the delay (like calls to inform work/family, or extra taxi costs) are covered on top of the fixed sum.

I'd remind customer affairs of the law, they seem not to be familiar with it.
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Under EU261/2004 you are certainly entitled to duty of care related expenses. It is not up to EK to tell you to use Travel Insurance.
The expenses the OP outlined are not duty of care expenses (changes to car rental, lost train fare, mileage, lost work time etc). EK are indeed quite right to advise OP to claim on travel insurance although perhaps less abrupt language could have been used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.