Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Introduces A380 To GLA (Apr-Sep 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Emirates introduces A380 to Glasgow

Link here as posted by Saltire74 and others on the forum.

Interesting that it's temporary. Is this common on the EK network to have X metal in peak seasons only?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:30 am

They are doing it because of reduced capacity at DXB due to runway works but i guess if its successful, they will continue with it.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by freakstar
They are doing it because of reduced capacity at DXB due to runway works but i guess if its successful, they will continue with it.
The runway works finishes on May 30th, the 380 is currently scheduled until end of September.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ft101
The runway works finishes on May 30th, the 380 is currently scheduled until end of September.
yes hence why they have one a day unitl 30 May and twice a day thereafer. I guess summer is peak time for them and probably wont have the capacity later in the year
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

I understand the whole Dubai works thing but out-with this period the A380 will only run until end of September and then the twice daily 777's will return.

Not the greatest of partners asking them to invest £8m+ and then not be sure about it for the long term.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:55 am

yes hence why they have one a day unitl 30 May and twice a day thereafer. I guess summer is peak time for them and probably wont have the capacity later in the year
OK, you're previous post read as if it was only during the runway work with the potential for more. School summer holidays definitely sees a peak as I benefited from earlier this year with an op-up. I usually try to avoid it but there can be plus points.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y

Not the greatest of partners asking them to invest £8m+ and then not be sure about it for the long term.
In my opinion they should have been making that investment long ago regardless of there being an A380 or not - the current boarding arragements for Emirates flights are not satisfactory in this day age (particularly for premium passengers)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:19 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I have opened this stand-alone thread for this piece of (welcome) news from EK today as it better reflects the now confirmed situation.

Look forward to seeing the A380 flying over my house on a regular basis next year. Will be a change from the A32X, 737 and various turboprops that we most regularly see/hear.

Saltire74
​​​​​​​EK Forum Co-Moderator
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:40 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Who wants to go to DXB in the summer anyway?! Oh that's right, Scots!!

Looking forward to being on a 388 all the way from SYD to GLA (hence handle), but concerned for the potential of a fight at the J bar.
ps107, Bouncingsouls and bogof like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I got a bit excited when I read that earlier. I'm flying on EK25 next year. The A380 is starting on EK25, but by the time I travel in July, it will have swapped to EK27, and EK25 will be back to a 777. I'm travelling in J from Brisbane, on a 777 and when I saw the announcement about the A380 flying to Glasgow, I hoped I'd get to travel part of my journey in what feels like a premium cabin. It'll still be a bit more comfortable than being in Y, so I shouldn't complain too much.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Skywards silver
I wonder if this temporary swap to the A380 from Glasgow will affect any Edinburgh bookings in J and F during the same timeframe would people decide to use GLA instead of EDI for the bar, shower etc.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by weegraeme
I got a bit excited when I read that earlier. I'm flying on EK25 next year. The A380 is starting on EK25, but by the time I travel in July, it will have swapped to EK27, and EK25 will be back to a 777. I'm travelling in J from Brisbane, on a 777 and when I saw the announcement about the A380 flying to Glasgow, I hoped I'd get to travel part of my journey in what feels like a premium cabin. It'll still be a bit more comfortable than being in Y, so I shouldn't complain too much.
Don't the 777 J seats have a bit of slope? Had a freind on it recently and that's what she said it felt like. Or maybe just a dodgy seat!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by bogof
Don't the 777 J seats have a bit of slope? Had a freind on it recently and that's what she said it felt like. Or maybe just a dodgy seat!
5-10%, the newer ones are flatter/flat I believe. Never bothered me
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by bogof
I think they are. EK25 is a day/afternoon flight so I wasn't sleeping I'm on a 777 into Dubai too. I'll just have to hope it's been upgraded by then. It's possible but I'm not holding my breath
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I’ve been told by someone who works at BA at Glasgow Airport that a new Emirates lounge is being made next to the new gate as well. I am not sure how credible this is given the current GLA lounge is recent and I’m not sure how making a new one next to the gate is worth the investment for a service which at present is only seasonal (A380 will only run for a few months in the year).

Has anyone heard anything similar. Yes it does sound crazy but worth sharing to see if anyone has heard any rumblings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.