Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Introduces A380 To GLA (Apr-Sep 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Introduces A380 To GLA (Apr-Sep 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Guys, don’t get too chewed up about it. I’ve been a frequent flyer for a good few years now and I will not say that BA are better than EK on a 77W or A380 or vice versa. I’ve had crap A380 seats on BA and brilliant 77W seats on EK (and vice versa). Likewise for service. At the end of the day, you’re paying for the space. It’s better than economy. The service is an added extra and if it’s good it’s an added bonus.

S
I have been lucky enough to have booked the "best" CW seats with direct isle access... I have only had 1 instance where I was in the isle (was upgraded from PE - was very appreciative of that ) and the other instance was just on a "normal" window seats. I have not tried the 777 seats but from the comments here, it is either "acceptable for sleeping" or not at all... I mean the CW is by no means amazing but I suspect sleeping flat is much better than at an angle. But I want to try out the bed when I travel on the 777 next month. I used some points to upgrade to F on this flight just because a lot of the posts here about their J put me off...

On a odd note, I was looking at some prices from GLA to DXB and GLA to HKG prices - what is weird is the price to HKG is CHEAPER than to DXB!! How does that work ? I am essentially travelling the DXB to HKG leg for free lol
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:47 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by AceCobra1
I have been lucky enough to have booked the "best" CW seats with direct isle access... I have only had 1 instance where I was in the isle (was upgraded from PE - was very appreciative of that ) and the other instance was just on a "normal" window seats. I have not tried the 777 seats but from the comments here, it is either "acceptable for sleeping" or not at all... I mean the CW is by no means amazing but I suspect sleeping flat is much better than at an angle. But I want to try out the bed when I travel on the 777 next month. I used some points to upgrade to F on this flight just because a lot of the posts here about their J put me off...

On a odd note, I was looking at some prices from GLA to DXB and GLA to HKG prices - what is weird is the price to HKG is CHEAPER than to DXB!! How does that work ? I am essentially travelling the DXB to HKG leg for free lol
I’ve been on CX J AMS-HKG and vice versa. Two of the most painful flights I have endured given the reviews of CX J Class. EK 77W Flights GLA-DXB & DXB-PEK, some of the best sleeps in the air. Likewise BA CW seats. One of the better ones on a 777, not so good on an A380 and middle of the road on a 744. Great 2 hour sleep on a 3.5 hour flight on a BA mid haul A321. Best sleep ever on EK in 2K F class on an A380. I wish I could afford to do that every time.

S

AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
I noticed the same thing a few years back. Sydney or Melbourne to Dubai was dearer than Sydney or Melbourne to London. This was on QF and EK.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

. . . . but I suspect sleeping flat is much better than at an angle.
Stick a book under the top legs of your bed and find out - chances are you'll never notice, but this wouldn't be flyertalk if most posters didn't ..... about it. Same with having 6 middle seats in Business which can be avoided with a bit planning - flyertalk posters have them down as the devil incarnate when most of the world would be more than happy to fly in them.
thijsseh and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Stick a book under the top legs of your bed and find out - chances are you'll never notice, but this wouldn't be flyertalk if most posters didn't ..... about it. Same with having 6 middle seats in Business which can be avoided with a bit planning - flyertalk posters have them down as the devil incarnate when most of the world would be more than happy to fly in them.
That is actually a good idea.... But I am going to get the crew to show me around the J seat on the 777 - thought they might think I am weird putting a book under my feet to see if I can get the bed feeling flat

I am personally not massively bothered being in the middle of the 3 man seat but think throwing in an angled bed is a no no for me...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
That is actually a good idea.... But I am going to get the crew to show me around the J seat on the 777 - thought they might think I am weird putting a book under my feet to see if I can get the bed feeling flat

I am personally not massively bothered being in the middle of the 3 man seat but think throwing in an angled bed is a no no for me...
It’s a strange misconception of the EK 77W product that people think it’s lie flat when it’s always been marketed as angle flat, or at least not sold as a fully flat bed. If you truly want to feel like you’re in bed, F is the only way. If you want to see what is much worse fly Y (especially on BA).

m3red and AceCobra1 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I don't notice the difference between lie flat and angle flat. I actually like the 777 seat since it is 2 inches wider than the A380 seat.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:49 pm

Before the A380, the GLA route was upgraded to the new business with the "fridge" and lie flat seats on the 777.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by F10GLA
Before the A380, the GLA route was upgraded to the new business with the "fridge" and lie flat seats on the 777.
Did they "upgrade" both the 777s or is it just the afternoon flight ?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:41 pm

Did they "upgrade" both the 777s or is it just the afternoon flight ?
Neither. The new layout only made an occasional random appearance.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold

pretty basic to understand - direct flights are more expensive than indirect ones, also supply and demand.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
great news for weegies (im happy!).

Airline partner Emirates has confirmed that the world’s largest commercial passenger aircraft will return to Glasgow in 2020.

The huge double-decker aircraft, which has a wingspan of almost 80 meters and can carry over 500 passengers, will return to the airline’s popular Glasgow-Dubai route from March.

Emirates plan to operate the iconic A380 on a year-round basis on the double daily service, Scotland’s busiest long-haul route. One of the airline’s Boeing 777 aircraft fleet will continue to be used on the route.

https://cm.glasgowairport.com/media-...=&utm_content=
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
great news for weegies (im happy!).

Airline partner Emirates has confirmed that the world’s largest commercial passenger aircraft will return to Glasgow in 2020.

The huge double-decker aircraft, which has a wingspan of almost 80 meters and can carry over 500 passengers, will return to the airline’s popular Glasgow-Dubai route from March.

Emirates plan to operate the iconic A380 on a year-round basis on the double daily service, Scotland’s busiest long-haul route. One of the airline’s Boeing 777 aircraft fleet will continue to be used on the route.

https://cm.glasgowairport.com/media-...=&utm_content=

hopefully it’s still the afternoon flight that gets the A380.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:12 pm

Odd the article says it's 399 in economy which is an older ULR frame and not required for GLA.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101
Odd the article says it's 399 in economy which is an older ULR frame and not required for GLA.
It's not a EK press release, so no doubt they've just looked it up on Wiki

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.