Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Arsenal tickets - Away fan experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Anyone used miles for Arsenal tickets as an away fan?

Looking at redeeming for a couple of tickets for one of the upcoming games but the relative I plan to bring with me is an away fan. eg

- Are the general admission tickets in a specific section with other Emirates / corporate ticket holders (and presumably therefore a bit more mixed in terms of support)
- Ok to wear away top?
- Are there any specific rules for the Suite tickets? Eg I assume a dress code so no sports shirts but ok to wear away scarf?

Am I overthinking this? Not been to a premier league before...
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus
Anyone used miles for Arsenal tickets as an away fan?

Looking at redeeming for a couple of tickets for one of the upcoming games but the relative I plan to bring with me is an away fan. eg

- Are the general admission tickets in a specific section with other Emirates / corporate ticket holders (and presumably therefore a bit more mixed in terms of support)
- Ok to wear away top?
- Are there any specific rules for the Suite tickets? Eg I assume a dress code so no sports shirts but ok to wear away scarf?

Am I overthinking this? Not been to a premier league before...
I wouldn’t wear away colours in the home end of any stadium.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
I wouldn’t wear away colours in the home end of any stadium.
Never a problem at Rugby (club and National), NFL (most teams...), Baseball, GAA (Ireland), etc. etc.

Do realise that Soccer is different hence my specific question on the Emirates tickets for Arsenal.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:18 am

Never a problem at Rugby (club and National), NFL (most teams...), Baseball, GAA (Ireland), etc. etc.

Do realise that Soccer is different hence my specific question on the Emirates tickets for Arsenal.
It is not like rugby union. It depends on where you sit and who the opposition is but in the premier league I wouldn’t risk it. Lots of mindless idiots at football so why make yourself a target?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

I think they were being specific to football (the game played with the feet) and it is exceptionally good advice, coupled with sitting on your hands and keeping your mouth firmly shut if your (away) team scores or does something good! Even the most mild mannered fans will take umbrage. It's still tribal.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by m3red
It is not like rugby union. It depends on where you sit and who the opposition is but in the premier league I wouldn’t risk it. Lots of mindless idiots at football so why make yourself a target?
If you’re in the Superbox less of a chance of violence but just dirty looks

That said, unlike in the normal seats you can actually take hot drinks in a mug out into the stands so you could do some damage there...
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I know at Old Trafford that away colours are banned in the corporate hospitality areas. I reckon it will be the same at Arsenal.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:49 am

Would recommend colours, or acknowledgement of being an away fan in the home ends. its horrifically expensive for anything once you get there- but is a great ground to see.

Sadly my club are no longer in the premier league - despite having won it a while ago!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Being an Arsenal fan myself... never knew you get tickets using miles.
If you are able .. enjoy the game..
So, if you are sitting at an away ground, and wish to wear the proud colours of Arsenal,
I would suggest a jacket to cover the colors until you enter the ground. (as long as you are not seated in the home area.
I have been to many away games with Arsenal , and have always been aware of my surroundings etc.
Enjoy
P.S. most ground suites require an attire and team colours are usually not permitted.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:43 pm

Football tops should only be worn on a football pitch.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:04 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101
Football tops should only be worn on a football pitch.
Or by people under 15.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:39 am

The state Arsenal are in presently it will be extremely hard to not jump up and down celebrating a goal for the away team because it will happen often.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Yikes. Where did I leave my riot gear?

This was meant to be a relaxing day out for the middle-aged! (Looking at the game against Man-U on New Year’s Day).

If I mysteriously stop posting after 8pm GMT on 1/1/2020 you’ll know why...
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:16 am

This was meant to be a relaxing day out for the middle-aged! (Looking at the game against Man-U on New Year’s Day).

Don’t wear colours
Dambus likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:08 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

That’s reasonably high profile. Now there’s no particular problem with home and away fans (Spurs aside) mixing around the ground at Arsenal but there has been a certain amount of tension between the Clubs on the pitch at least over the past few years.

It’s also one thing mixing outside, but tensions are inevitably higher during the game.

I would imagine Arsenal will not allow colours in the hospitality areas, but I will say that generally speaking you’d have no problem being open about your allegiance. I’ve watched Norwich games at Highbury as a guest of a supplier and there really wasn’t an issue - although obviously losing as usual tended to help! At Fulham a few years ago, in a fairly vital game at the bottom of the PL, I paid for a space in a shared box which obviously had mostly home fans. To be fair, the Fulham staff took the mick more than anyone, although very good-naturedly ...

So redeem for the tickets if it’s an option, use common sense and I’m sure you’ll have a great time. If you haven’t been the Emirates is a wonderful stadium, and in my experience Arsenal’s hospitality has always been excellent.
Dambus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.