Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Missed check-in and was denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed check-in and was denied boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

ADDED: Early in the morning, at small airports and at some foreign outstations, if you show up three hours before scheduled departure, the check in counter probably won't even be staffed.
My local small airport (about a million passengers a year) actually shuts down entirely to public use for a couple hours after passengers from the last flight of the night arrive and pass through and doesn't reopen until 2 hours before first scheduled departure of the morning. Gives the cleaners and repair folks a solid 3-4 hours of uninterrupted work time every overnight.
MSPeconomist and ukdoctor like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:37 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by beachmouse
My local small airport (about a million passengers a year) actually shuts down entirely to public use for a couple hours after passengers from the last flight of the night arrive and pass through and doesn't reopen until 2 hours before first scheduled departure of the morning. Gives the cleaners and repair folks a solid 3-4 hours of uninterrupted work time every overnight.
Oh, absolutely, I once arrived a bit early at Linköping, a small airport in Sweden, for a KL flight to AMS which departed around 16:00 if I remember correctly. I arrived at the airport about 2 hours early, only to find all doors locked! A bit later the airport opened up just for our flight and all was well.
A bit surreal when you are used to DXB....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Well, I do spend too much time in pubs/bars. So I just consider my extra time in the club as being in a bar that servers crappy drinks, but is free. :-)

Certainly a legit action by the carrier. But many airlines would rebook for free on the next available option in this case.
US airlines != Most airlines
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by beachmouse
My local airport is also similar .Just under a million pax a year. It also shuts down after the last flight of the day and the post aircraft ( around 2200 hrs or so) and reopens 2 hours for the morning redeye just before 7.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exwannabe
But many airlines would rebook for free on the next available option in this case.
Outside the US, most carriers would tell you to pound sand.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While some small airports do not open until a short(ish) time prior to a flight, others also use the same staff for ticket counters as well as the gate and ramp. Thus, when the check-in deadline passes, the counter closes and the counter staff head to the gate and ramp. Not a question of being a couple of minutes late for check-in and finding someone who might still process you, but a matter of arriving to find no open counter and thus no bag check (or check in if one does not have a BP).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Flying for decades from one of those "small airports", I'm quite used to "counter" personnel heading out to the ramp to (a) signal parking instructions to the arriving flight's aircrew, (b) rolling out the "stairs", and/or (c) helping to unload, shift and load baggage (and often repeating part of the exercise prior to departure). Fortunately, the days of pulling through the prop or pulling the chocks have long passed.

Those memories helped to reinforce my "environmental conditioning" to follow the even arbitrary and capricious rules adopted by the airlines. Of course, 3 years "living" aboard an aircraft carrier aided my adaptation to existence bound by the rules. The "Dawn Launch" occurs close to "First Light", but not until the ship turns into the wind, enough wind to get the birds off the deck, even in the age of steam cats.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna

Ouch! In Paid F

My colleague (chairman) got denied J on BA because he qued at the wrong gate and the gate had closed 20 minutes before departure...gone are the times when staff used to chase you down to make sure you boarded your flight.

10 years ago in Japan, boarded a flight with check in 30 minutes to departure - thats what I call service

Joy of travelling is gone...

I fear you are out of touch with the real world here.

With over 8,000 flights a week through Dubai International they couldn't possibly chase people down. If you had not reached check in what would you expect to happen here?

And let's be honest, what happened 10 years ago in Japan is hardly relevant.

Frustrating I know, and EK could have been flexible on the rebooking, but passengers should check in on time. With 300+ others looking for an on time departure, and the risk of a missed slot, they won't take the chance.
BearX220 and pierreza like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.