Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Missed check-in and was denied boarding

Missed check-in and was denied boarding

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:17 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by BadoRas
Off-topic comments above. Let's please stick to the subject of this thread
actually I believe all the comments are valid and related to whether one believes they are a "terrible airline" or not.
be that late arrivals, missing pax hunting or rustling up a new plane in short order....
cheers 😀
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna
Gold Member. Meant to catch 4.20am flight to New Delhi, arrive at counter at 3.24am and get denied check in because check in closes 60 minutes prior to take off (the agent let it slip the flight was overbooked...)

Forced to PAY 1,000+ dirhams to rebook flight to next available flight

Unbelievable lack of care towards status members

Together with the lack of decent service on 50% of flights, I’m done with giving Emirates my business.

Cant deny they do have a good hard product...esp J class on A380

Very unhappy ☹️
You were late and missed your flight. 100% your fault. Why have deadlines if the airline won't stick to them? What if the slot was missed and 300 other passengers were late at their arrival because they waited for you?
BearX220 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Gotta love it when someone opens an FT account to complain about how hard done by they feel.
jinglish likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This is like the BA conformance. People love it until it bites them. I'm perfectly happy ensuring I arrive well in time for my flight - knowing that if I *am* late, it would generally be my own fault.

The only time I almost got caught was on a FRA-MAN flight a few years back. I was happily enjoying a beer in the city when I realised my flight was departing in an hour (somehow missed an hour)... A quick train ride and I got to the check in desks about 30 minutes before ETD (I had to check a bag!). The check in agent didn't bat an eyelid, and I got to the gate just as boarding was finishing. Phew!
BearX220 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The flight was overbooked. You weren't there and they had a list of upgrades and standbies to process and pax anxious as to whether they'd make it at all, who may have been offered later flights if they don't. Should those pax be left hanging or confirmed in your seat as there's a reasonable assumption you're not coming. And should they then be offloaded again when you showed up, late?

Was your Japan flight domestic? Because those are very different, I often arrive for domestic flights 40 mins before departure. You didn't mention which airport it's this happened at unless I missed it ?
​​​​​
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by Beano HK

actually I believe all the comments are valid and related to whether one believes they are a "terrible airline" or not.
be that late arrivals, missing pax hunting or rustling up a new plane in short order....
cheers ��
I disagree. The thread was titled Terrible Airline, but the subject of the thread is the pax not being allowed to board because he/she arrived too late for check-in, and their unreasonable outrage that the rules were not bent due to their skywards status.

Consequently, THAT is what we are discussing in this thread.

Last edited by BadoRas; Jun 4, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
In BLR, I once arrived 45 minutes before the flight departure to DXB and was initially refused a boarding pass. Luckily, I had checked in online, and did not have any bags to check in. The station manager told me off very politely and allowed the staff to give me my boarding pass. Also didn't hurt that the flight wasn't full. Anyway, haven't reported under T-75 after that experience.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:22 am
vga

Programs: yes
Spice Jet is the terrible one with my experience!!!!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:26 am

Id be interested to hear who these "many" airlines are that allow check in "at the last minute" on International itineraries.....
zeebanker and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:46 am

I wonder if there's an airline staff forum somewhere with a new thread called "Terrible Passenger" where they talk about a passenger turning up after the system has automatically closed boarding at the advertised time, recorded and printed out load weights, ordered fuel required for this load and all the other things that go on immediately prior to despatch.

They would all probably be amazed at how an invidual could possibly think they are so important that all this should be halted and restarted, risking a take off slot and the on time departure of 100s of passengers and blocking a gate that might be needed for an imminent arrival.

What if there was a Platinum member affected by this Gold passenger's actions? Would the OP say "OK, I've been trumped. Treat me as you would treat everyone else"?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
It seems some people only want the rules to apply to them when it suits them. I'm sure we all would want the courts to uphold a law if we had been a victim of a crime.

If the airline says check in closes 60 minutes before, then that is it. Perhaps if the flight is delayed then you may feel aggrieved but besides that you have no excuse.

You cant expect them to change that, otherwise you have a slippery slope.

If them upholding a check in close time counts a cause to call them a 'terrible airline' then I fear the OP will be constantly disappointed.

Last edited by Leaping_Deere; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:12 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:18 am

OP's rant reeks of entitlement. Like my gym teacher used to say "suck it up, buttercup!"
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
The OP is lucky that he was not denied boarding on a BA flight and only on an EK flight.

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

The processes required in order to dispatch an aircraft, particularly a widebody, and especially at a large airport, do not allow the flexibility to accommodate one passenger who doesn’t make it on time.

Status affords you many privileges. Delaying 300+ other people, affecting OTP, crew schedules and aircraft planned utilisation is not amongst them.

As has been mentioned above, should you wish an aircraft to wait for you, fly private 🙄
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna
Many other airlines allow check in at last minute because they understand sometimes there are circumstances outside ones controls.
... it's not self entitlement its a reflection of the business one gives to an airline.

Whether Platinum or plebian, I have never in my life turned up for an international longhaul service < 60m before departure expecting to be allowed through. The formalities require check-in cutoff and manifest freeze at a certain point before boarding begins, and those who understand the system, understand that. I think you should indeed take your business to some putative other airline that better serves your needs; much luck finding it.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This is like the BA conformance. People love it until it bites them.
Ha. This X 100. Sunday through Friday we revere the rulebook, and revel in how it disadvantages others. Saturday the rulebook is a roadblock and an outrage, because it disadvantages US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.