FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Business Upgrade Offers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1942762-business-upgrade-offers.html)

nakedpenguin Nov 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Business Upgrade Offers

Usually when I fly emirates and have an Economy ticket at online checking 48H before I get an upgrade offer for all flights. This time I got one by email for only one flight. I took it and at online checkin there was no option to upgrade the the other flight.

could this be because I accepted the email offer or would there simply be no availability on the other flight, other wise they would have also added that option in the email offer correct?

Matt.Edwards Nov 28, 2018 5:28 am

most likely there were no award seats available. You can use Expert Flyer to check

skywardhunter Nov 28, 2018 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards (Post 30475180)
most likely there were no award seats available. You can use Expert Flyer to check

I think OP may be referring to cash upgrade offers. These depend on the load and revenue forecast of the flight, if EK determines that they will have empty seats in J and think that they can entice some Y pax to purchase a discounted cash upgrade to that cabin they will make these offers available. You can tell if a flight has such offers available from the "P" fare bucket being >0 as this fare bucket is used exclusively for these offers.

Occasionally EK also offers miles upgrades (where available) at OLCI, in my experience at the full upgrade price though there have been reports of discounted miles upgrade offers

Rydad1 Nov 28, 2018 6:55 am

What is the typical cash price if one wants to upgrade from an economy ticket to business at check-in or at the gate if seats are available?

XXTSGR Nov 28, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Rydad1 (Post 30475376)
What is the typical cash price if one wants to upgrade from an economy ticket to business at check-in or at the gate if seats are available?

Depends on where you're flying to. Could be a couple hundred $$$ on a short flight or several hundred or thousand $$$ on a longer flight.

Rydad1 Nov 28, 2018 7:27 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR (Post 30475452)

Depends on where you're flying to. Could be a couple hundred $$$ on a short flight or several hundred or thousand $$$ on a longer flight.

Specifically JFK or IAD to DXB and back.

lall Nov 28, 2018 7:29 am

The simple answer is that the offer you have received is for only one flight and the price proposed to you reflects the upgrade offer for just one flight of your booking. Don't expect more than that.

skywardhunter Nov 28, 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Rydad1 (Post 30475471)

Specifically JFK or IAD to DXB and back.

IF there is a promotional upgrade offer it would likely be around $1000, however this excludes chauffeur drive and lounge access, i.e. it's just the seat. You also don't earn more miles. You can always upgrade for the fare difference otherwise.

nakedpenguin Nov 29, 2018 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30475204)
I think OP may be referring to cash upgrade offers. These depend on the load and revenue forecast of the flight, if EK determines that they will have empty seats in J and think that they can entice some Y pax to purchase a discounted cash upgrade to that cabin they will make these offers available. You can tell if a flight has such offers available from the "P" fare bucket being >0 as this fare bucket is used exclusively for these offers.

Occasionally EK also offers miles upgrades (where available) at OLCI, in my experience at the full upgrade price though there have been reports of discounted miles upgrade offers

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@skywardhunter, could you explain more about how to check the P Fare bucket to check which flights could have these offers?

Thanks

skywardhunter Nov 30, 2018 12:37 am

Originally Posted by nakedpenguin (Post 30482090)

@skywardhunter, could you explain more about how to check the P Fare bucket to check which flights could have these offers?

Thanks

You would need a membership of ExpertFlyer and then use the Flight Availability tool.

DYKWIA Nov 30, 2018 1:35 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30482579)
You would need a membership of ExpertFlyer and then use the Flight Availability tool.

For which a monthly subscription costs less than a beer in Dubai...

thijsseh Nov 30, 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30482686)
For which a monthly subscription costs less than a beer in Dubai...

i
And if you don’t fly on a monthly basis, you can switch the subscription on and off as often as you wish.
No brainier IMHO

nakedpenguin Nov 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely take a subscription before my next trip takes off!

thijsseh Dec 1, 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by nakedpenguin (Post 30482090)

Thanks

Please understand though that you can’t book these P ‘fares’. They get offered, but it’s not clear (at least not to me) who gets offered them. I don’t think it’s to everyone.
Got offered one on LGW/DXB two days ago for the equivalent of $600 (in ZAR). Or no less than 110000 Skyward miles. I guess that was yet another EK IT blunder (of which I have encountered several in the last week) as the normal mileage cost is 30000....... Did not take the paid upgrade either.

NA-Flyer Jan 14, 2019 4:26 am

How about cash upgrade offers for intra-gulf flights, any idea how much it is around?