Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates from US to Dubai on points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates from US to Dubai on points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by m3red
You do know it’s ramadan in May / early June next year? Not the best time for a visit - that and it’s very hot.
I like me some iftar though... it's like brunch (minus the booze) every night!
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by donjo
My plan was to transfer AMEX points to the Emirates frequent flyer program. So when I entered June 2 through June 9th, they have space available and show the following result for 2 passengers: 435,000 Miles + USD 3,444. Total price in Skywards Miles and USD, including airfare, taxes, fees, and carrier-imposed charges for 2 passengers. I do like your idea of ending up in Cairo though. I suppose I could spend a couple days there, fly to Dubai for a few days, then back to Cairo for the return trip. Adds a repositioning flight to YYZ which I'm ok with, and the back and forth to Cairo but saves an enormous amount of money, plus I'd get 5x points on Amex for the travel spend. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. Only thing I would add is that paying for the flights will be somewhat north of $15,000 vs the $3,444 since it's for 2 passengers. Thank you!
No problem. Just as an FYI if you match your 1K to Alaska 75k and credit there you'd also get ~80K redeemable, couple trips to Hawaii for two.

Last edited by Metanoia; Nov 2, 2018 at 1:18 am
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:17 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Mrs. Outoftown and I have no status on Emirates either, but so far our two trips with first leg IAD to Dubai, then to Maldives and another to Mauritius have been excellent. I booked separate rows for each of us in coach. I had 5 seats to sleep across, my wife was OK with 3 seats to stretch out over. Their movie offerings and meals in coach are excellent. I know their first class is exemplary, but those costs or the miles you are burning could go for other things. I never signed up for the Emirates ff program, but instead collected a few JetBlue Trueblue points. Our out-of-pocket was $800 for each rt from IAD. I can't believe any airplane seat is worth what you are considering.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by outoftown
Mrs. Outoftown and I have no status on Emirates either, but so far our two trips with first leg IAD to Dubai, then to Maldives and another to Mauritius have been excellent. I booked separate rows for each of us in coach. I had 5 seats to sleep across, my wife was OK with 3 seats to stretch out over. Their movie offerings and meals in coach are excellent. I know their first class is exemplary, but those costs or the miles you are burning could go for other things. Also don't forget to collect a few JetBlue Trueblue points if you pay for your seat. Our out-of-pocket was $800 for each rt from IAD
Did you get the rows in coach all to yourself IAD-DXB?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:23 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Did you get the rows in coach all to yourself IAD-DXB?
When the sale price showed up super-discounted on TheFlightDeal, I knew those A380s were wide open. Airbus strong-armed Emirates into getting more A380s than they really need. We planned on having rows to ourselves.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
When the sale price showed up super-discounted on TheFlightDeal, I knew those A380s were wide open. Airbus strong-armed Emirates into getting more A380s than they really need. We planned on having rows to ourselves.
You'd be surprised how full they can get. Also at most 4 seats together in a single set. 3-4-3
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:32 am

We'll probably be losing another US A380 city :-/ Thankfully I live near a few. But maybe BOS will get it?

DFW comes to mind as the biggest A380 loss due to its connectivity. IAH got theirs back but I won't fly United - I'd rather drive in from Hobby after flying WN.

Back on topic - YYZ comes to mind as a cheap F city, CMB seems to have increased in price... are there any others I should know about?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:55 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I know you asked for F, but you may find better redemption availability in J depending on where you reposition.

CAI, MCT, CMB, HYD, BAH were some good options for point-beyond travel, but that list may have changed in the past year or two. Occasionally you do find some surprising or wacky options, so play around.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Keyser.Soze
I've been trying to book a one way award LAX - DXB - MXP flight in 1st class in August 2019 for quite some time. However, every single date in August has 1st class locked out for award bookings. Is this because 11 months is too far in advance or am I too late to the party here? Trying to figure out the optimal time to try to book or if I need to just book the business class version of this now and pray that a 1st class spot opens that I can use more miles to upgrade to.

The business class route in total is ~ 137k miles + $580 USD in fees.

I'd be fine going business class for the DXB - MXP leg but would really want 1st for the LAX - DXB leg.
Weirdly, LAX- DXB and SFO-DXB opens up upgrade award seats during check-in. If you check cabin loads on ExpertFlyer, getting J and waiting for an upgrade to F might be your best bet. Especially considering that in the US, there's no service difference between J and F until check-in anyways.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Weirdly, LAX- DXB and SFO-DXB opens up upgrade award seats during check-in. If you check cabin loads on ExpertFlyer, getting J and waiting for an upgrade to F might be your best bet. Especially considering that in the US, there's no service difference between J and F until check-in anyways.
Do you mean they open F upgrade seats during airport check-in or online-check in? Just wondering, got a trip coming up in a few days.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Do you mean they open F upgrade seats during airport check-in or online-check in? Just wondering, got a trip coming up in a few days.
It becomes space-available at the airport. Any seat open and you can upgrade though they often make you wait until boarding
Metanoia likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Physical check-in at the airport and yes, they often make you wait and have the gate agent process the upgrade. Again, annoying, but no big deal in LAX or SFO because you're not missing out on a First Class lounge or something.
Metanoia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.