Business class sale

Old Mar 4, 18, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Smile Emirates Business Class

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on Emirates Business Class. My hubby and I are looking to fly from Manchester to Perth Australia. I used to live in Perth and have not been back since 2005. We have never flown business class before and this will be a once in a lifetime treat for us. Looking at the prices we could only afford the Business saver fare which will be about £6, 200 return for us both. Is Business Class worth the extra money ?? I have only ever travelled in Economy Class on Emirates.
I would be grateful for any advice regarding best places to sit on the plane etc and any other tips that will help make this trip special. Many Thanks
Old Mar 4, 18, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Mishmac View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on Emirates Business Class. My hubby and I are looking to fly from Manchester to Perth Australia. I used to live in Perth and have not been back since 2005. We have never flown business class before and this will be a once in a lifetime treat for us. Looking at the prices we could only afford the Business saver fare which will be about £6, 200 return for us both. Is Business Class worth the extra money ?? I have only ever travelled in Economy Class on Emirates.
I would be grateful for any advice regarding best places to sit on the plane etc and any other tips that will help make this trip special. Many Thanks
Hi there, whether it is worth the money is something only you can answer, as it differs for every person. It's a long flight, though not the longest EK has by a long shot, however you'll get chauffeur drive to and from the airport, as well as lounge access so no meal costs at the airports, and of course arrive much more rested
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:07 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
Hi Mishmac
If you fly out of copenhagen you can save about 900£ per person on etihad. I dont know your dates but when i did a random check a fare for 2200 showed up. I would take etihad over emirates all day. The savings are considerable.
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gametitans View Post
Hi Mishmac
If you fly out of copenhagen you can save about 900£ per person on etihad. I dont know your dates but when i did a random check a fare for 2200 showed up. I would take etihad over emirates all day. The savings are considerable.

^

There is a 'premium fare deals' thread here on FT. I'd recommend the OP keep their eye on it. Business class to OZ should be possible in the 2000-2500 range for a variety of different carriers. But some of those fares might need a short flight to Europe to start. (Make sure plenty of connecting time for separate tickets) Certainly worth it at that those prices for a once in a lifetime experience.
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gametitans View Post
Hi Mishmac
+ No chauffeur drive in MAN
+ Cost of separate ticket to CPH
+ Risk of unprotected misconnect
+ EY don't fly out of CPH, looks like intra-European flight to Brussels first
​+ Inconsistent J product on EY, though this route seems to be A330 and B787 which should be decent (only flown EY A330 J)

So you're suggesting to add 2 intra-europe flights in Y seats (even if booked in J it's intra-europe J), a risk of a misconnect, a big back track through Europe, worse lounges (since contract not airline operated unlike EK at MAN) and no chauffeur drive at MAN.... Yes, I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post

^

There is a 'premium fare deals' thread here on FT. I'd recommend the OP keep their eye on it. Business class to OZ should be possible in the 2000-2500 range for a variety of different carriers. But some of those fares might need a short flight to Europe to start. (Make sure plenty of connecting time for separate tickets) Certainly worth it at that those prices for a once in a lifetime experience.
It can be, but the suggestion via CPH makes no sense as it becomes MAN-CPH-BRU-AUH-PER
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hi,
You said that it's a once in a lifetime treat, so I'd say go for it. Live life while you can.

You'll get the full chauffeur drive, upstairs on the A380, and the great EK lounges at MAN / DXB & PER.
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:40 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You said that it's a once in a lifetime treat, so I'd say go for it. Live life while you can.

You'll get the full chauffeur drive, upstairs on the A380, and the great EK lounges at MAN / DXB & PER.
And only 1 stop. Welcome to the EK Forum Mishmac. Once in a lifetime trip and if youíre prepared to pay the fare then go for it. You could end up jumping about Europe, Middle East and Asia to get a really good fare but needing a holiday after your holiday to get over just the flying. You will certainly get the most out of a simple itinerary and am sure you wonít be disappointed with the EK experience.

Now that youíre here, donít be a stranger and if you need anymore hints, tips or advice then stick around and join in.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
thijsseh, ElJudioErrante and m3red like this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 3:50 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
Just one word of warning Mishmac, once you have travelled in business class you will find it very difficult to go back to travelling any other way - take it from one who knows!! Between 2008 and 2012 I did 9 trips from UK to Australia initially in economy but then I splashed out on business class a couple of times and once I achieved Gold status I was upgraded on several occasions. I have now reached an age where the thought of travelling any other way fills me with horror!! Go ahead and book it and enjoy the whole experience - you only live once!

Last edited by JudeS; Mar 4, 18 at 3:51 am Reason: to add a sentence
Old Mar 4, 18, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
It can be, but the suggestion via CPH makes no sense as it becomes MAN-CPH-BRU-AUH-PER
It depends. There's all the Nordic countries, Germany, even fares from London. Garuda has £1860 return to Australia (although that is SYD only ATM). Separate tickets can be an issue, but a leisurely flight MAN-LON and overnight in an airport hotel could potentially save £2000-£2500. I don't necessarily see a problem with a double connection - not necessarily the one suggested via CPH - as long as there is an overnight stay at an airport hotel. The rest is all protected on a single ticket.

EK is no doubt a good product, but a trip of a lifetime can be even sweeter knowing you've got a great product and a couple grand left over for spending.
Old Mar 4, 18, 5:15 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards
Hi Mishmac. we fly Emirates from Manchester for holidays, not business. We usually go 'half and half' - economy out and business back (or vice versa once), so we are well rested for going back to work. We're currently thinking about a close to retirement trip to Australia (Brisbane) business both ways. Our reason for doing so is to make the the very long journey part of the holiday and to do something really special. Amongst the advantages of business are:
  • Chauffeur drive to Manchester Airport and in some (but not all) other airports
  • Quick check-in and fast track security at Manchester
  • A wonderful lounge at Manchester. It's a joint first class / business class lounge, and other Flyertalkers say it's one of the best Emirates lounges.
  • Lovely quiet ride on the Airbus A380 - all Emirates flights from Manchester are on the A380 apart from (rarely) a few odd dates.
  • Emirates in flight entertainment (same as economy) is world-leading, plus for business: noise cancelling headphones
  • A seat that is made up into a bed with a mattress, so you can sleep for hours.
  • On overnight flights longer than so many hours, you'll receive an amenity kit in a Balenciaga bag that is actually worth keeping.
  • Eye masks, flight socks and a range of soft drinks are available at your seat on long haul flights in business class but not economy. Also the blanket is more like a quilt than in economy.
  • On the Airbus A380, the on-board lounge is a great place to chat properly with your family, as well as for grazing on canapes en route to the toilets and grabbing an orange juice or something more alcoholic on the way back to your seat.
  • The lounge in Dubai is a better bet for breakfast than on board, so you can sleep on overnight flights rather than bother with breakfast on board.
  • I still think the Emirates business lounges in Dubai are special. The food is adequate rather than great, but there's plenty of choice. I should mention, following a query from a family member who had never flown business, that all food and drinks are included on board and in the lounge, unlike in the commercial lounges. The arm chairs are comfortable. You can get free papers. Other Flyertalkers say that the lounge in the A terminal is the best, though your boarding card will direct you to the nearest lounge to your departure gate.
  • For economy passengers, Dubai airport is rather short of seating and it's not very comfortable.
  • Boarding at Manchester and also Dubai for your onward flight, business has priority boarding, so you can be comfortably in your seat enjoying an orange juice or champagne while economy is still boarding.
  • Business gets fast track security and immigration cards in a number of airports.
  • You arrive feeling much more refreshed.
So it's really a case of the balance of the cost of the flight to the benefits. Having said that, Emirates can have some bizarre pricing at some times of year where they are much more expensive than the competitors. I suppose they must be selling even at these prices. FYI The cheapest I've seen the Brisbane flights for my dates in July are around £3,200 per head, though they briefly rocketed to £4.400 for a few days when the January sale ended before falling back to the sale prices! We tend to think of a price we are prepared to pay and then see whether Emirates is in that ball court.

Good luck with your planning!
Coathanger and Saltire74 like this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beeorchid View Post
Hi Mishmac. we fly Emirates from Manchester for holidays, not business. We usually go 'half and half' - economy out and business back (or vice versa once), so we are well rested for going back to work. We're currently thinking about a close to retirement trip to Australia (Brisbane) business both ways. Our reason for doing so is to make the the very long journey part of the holiday and to do something really special. Amongst the advantages of business are:
  • Chauffeur drive to Manchester Airport and in some (but not all) other airports
  • Quick check-in and fast track security at Manchester
  • A wonderful lounge at Manchester. It's a joint first class / business class lounge, and other Flyertalkers say it's one of the best Emirates lounges.
  • Lovely quiet ride on the Airbus A380 - all Emirates flights from Manchester are on the A380 apart from (rarely) a few odd dates.
  • Emirates in flight entertainment (same as economy) is world-leading, plus for business: noise cancelling headphones
  • A seat that is made up into a bed with a mattress, so you can sleep for hours.
  • On overnight flights longer than so many hours, you'll receive an amenity kit in a Balenciaga bag that is actually worth keeping.
  • Eye masks, flight socks and a range of soft drinks are available at your seat on long haul flights in business class but not economy. Also the blanket is more like a quilt than in economy.
  • On the Airbus A380, the on-board lounge is a great place to chat properly with your family, as well as for grazing on canapes en route to the toilets and grabbing an orange juice or something more alcoholic on the way back to your seat.
  • The lounge in Dubai is a better bet for breakfast than on board, so you can sleep on overnight flights rather than bother with breakfast on board.
  • I still think the Emirates business lounges in Dubai are special. The food is adequate rather than great, but there's plenty of choice. I should mention, following a query from a family member who had never flown business, that all food and drinks are included on board and in the lounge, unlike in the commercial lounges. The arm chairs are comfortable. You can get free papers. Other Flyertalkers say that the lounge in the A terminal is the best, though your boarding card will direct you to the nearest lounge to your departure gate.
  • For economy passengers, Dubai airport is rather short of seating and it's not very comfortable.
  • Boarding at Manchester and also Dubai for your onward flight, business has priority boarding, so you can be comfortably in your seat enjoying an orange juice or champagne while economy is still boarding.
  • Business gets fast track security and immigration cards in a number of airports.
  • You arrive feeling much more refreshed.
So it's really a case of the balance of the cost of the flight to the benefits. Having said that, Emirates can have some bizarre pricing at some times of year where they are much more expensive than the competitors. I suppose they must be selling even at these prices. FYI The cheapest I've seen the Brisbane flights for my dates in July are around £3,200 per head, though they briefly rocketed to £4.400 for a few days when the January sale ended before falling back to the sale prices! We tend to think of a price we are prepared to pay and then see whether Emirates is in that ball court.

Good luck with your planning!
Very good breakdown of the benefits of flying J, including the soft benefits. I do think a non-stop to the middle east on the A380 with onboard bar is far superior than two short intra-europe hops in an Economy seat and then a flight to AUH in an A330. The onboard bar is an added bonus.

Two comments:
- Economy receive amenity kits on long overnight flights which include tooth brush and tooth paste, socks, ear plugs and eye shades.
- Seating in DXB around the main concourse areas can be tricky but can be found if travelling Y without lounge access. The Concourse A lounge is the best and with >2h before boarding of the next flight I'd trek over there, unless I have a gate at C22 or below (lower C = greater distance). There is also an ice cream cart with nice ice creams and sorbets
Mishmac likes this.
Old Mar 4, 18, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Wow, thank you so much for all the responses so far. I've only joined on here today, so just trying to navigate around the site. I'm going to sit down with a cuppa and read through all your comments. Thanks again & thanks for the nice welcome. ☺☺
Old Mar 4, 18, 7:22 am

Wow, thank you so much for all the responses so far. I've only joined on here today, so just trying to navigate around the site. I'm going to sit down with a cuppa and read through all your comments. Thanks again & thanks for the nice welcome. ☺☺
I have found London-Perth via Jakarta with Garuda in Business Class for 2`000 Euros.

Check this, german only, but I believe you can understand....:-)

Garuda Indonesia Business Class Angebote Asien ab 1.200 Euro Australien ab 2.000 Euro - Frankfurtflyer.de
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:58 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Plat
If EK are your number one choice you could always look at a number of places such as Thailand, Singapore, even bali I suppose. I have travelled to all of these in J return for less than 2k. Then book the rest of your journey with a different airline. (Not sure if EK only do the east coast from some of these locations).

If you chose Singapore you could break up your journey with a night at the Marina Bay Sands in a club room and still have change from the price of going direct.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: