Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK DXB-MAA is $200 upgrade worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I have been flying OW exclusively for the last 5 years and haven't flown EK in a while. I'm flying SFO-DXB-MAA this weekend and I got a $200 upgrade offer for the last leg. Is it worth it?

I have exit row at the moment and I'm tall. EK operates a 777-300ER on this route.

I'm looking for an upgrade offer in the first leg and will very likely pull the trigger if I get one for sub $1000. Anyone with recent data on this?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
If they give you EK lounge access at DXB and chauffeur drive at MAA , I would say its worth it(especially if you have a long layover at DXB )

The problem is that a lot of the cash upgrades do not have either ..
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
If they give you EK lounge access at DXB and chauffeur drive at MAA , I would say its worth it(especially if you have a long layover at DXB )

The problem is that a lot of the cash upgrades do not have either ..
They definitely do not include these benefits
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

No lounge access or chauffeur drive. I'm inclined to wait it out. Praying to get an upgrade offer for the SFO-DXB leg 🤞
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
They definitely do not include these benefits

Outstation lounges are usually excluded and so is the chauffeur drive. A friend did get access to the DXB lounge a few months ago on a cash upgrade. He is only a blue.

Are you sure that all cash offers exclude the DXB lounge ?

i will try to contact him and try to find out.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

ukdoctor likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:57 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Go for it
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Outstation lounges are usually excluded and so is the chauffeur drive. A friend did get access to the DXB lounge a few months ago on a cash upgrade. He is only a blue.

Are you sure that all cash offers exclude the DXB lounge ?

i will try to contact him and try to find out.
Every discounted cash upgrade offer I've seen or that's been discussed here has, there might be exceptions, and the lounge staff might've accidentally let him in because the BP says business
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:31 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Probably makes sense to take this upgrade so you can get some rest after the long SFO leg.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xlr
Probably makes sense to take this upgrade so you can get some rest after the long SFO leg.
True. I took it and got the last aisle on J. Haven't seen any upgrade offers for SFO-DXB yet. ~24 hours to go before flight.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by pdilip

True. I took it and got the last aisle on J. Haven't seen any upgrade offers for SFO-DXB yet. ~24 hours to go before flight.
Not to burst your bubble but maybe to set expectations, the flight is pretty wide open in Y for EK226 tomorrow so I'd say it probably won't happen.

F4 A4 J7 C7 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L0 T0 V0 X0
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Not to burst your bubble but maybe to set expectations, the flight is pretty wide open in Y for EK226 tomorrow so I'd say it probably won't happen.

F4 A4 J7 C7 I0 O0 P0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 H0 Q9 L0 T0 V0 X0
I was sorta fearing that as I didn't get an email. I'll try asking them during check-in. If Y, is wide open I might end up making my own lie flat seat 😁

Thank you for looking this up 🙏🏼🙏🏼
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks

The upgrade was totally worth it. I wasn't too tired after the SFO-DXB leg (probably the best A380 Y product) and was excited once I boarded the Chennai flight.

They have a brand new 777-300ER now after flying an aging plane on this route forever. I was shocked that this flight even had first class suites. I got a chance to check it out before the flight and it was great.

I will not hesitate to upgrade on the return if they offer it.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by pdilip
The upgrade was totally worth it. I wasn't too tired after the SFO-DXB leg (probably the best A380 Y product) and was excited once I boarded the Chennai flight.

They have a brand new 777-300ER now after flying an aging plane on this route forever. I was shocked that this flight even had first class suites. I got a chance to check it out before the flight and it was great.

I will not hesitate to upgrade on the return if they offer it.
All EK aircraft have F suites, unless you the mean the new fully enclosed ones from floor to ceiling?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:05 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
All EK aircraft have F suites, unless you the mean the new fully enclosed ones from floor to ceiling?
I think you mean ‘all 3 class EK aircraft have F suites’?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.