Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Do Emirates have the on-board menu allergen information available on the plane?

Old Oct 8, 18, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

I have my first Emirates First flight next month. I'm wondering if Emirates carry the menu allergen information on board? I need to avoid gluten. I know I could order a gluten free special meal in advance but I've long since given up doing that when flying business or first as the meals are always incredibly disappointing. I'd rather be able to find something on the normal menu. BA have what they call the 'Chefs Chat' information on board which shows allergen information. I'm hoping Emirates have something similar?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 8, 18, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hi mr_moon, unfortunately I have no idea, but this seems like the perfect kind of question that the EK Twitter team would be able to answer. They are generally quite responsive and I usually get a response in under an hour when I send them a DM to @EmiratesSupport, though you can also tweet publically asking if they have such info onboard as it may be helpful to others and doesn't pertain to a specific booking. That being said, mass-catered food often contains Gluten, and if you are Celiac I'd imagine you'd want to avoid risking not having anything available to eat during the flight, I'd suggest ordering the SPML and onboard if the allergen info is available and you can ascertain that a dish is suitable for you ask the crew if they'd kindly let you order off the regular menu (they'll likely be aware of your dietary restriction if you've asked them for the allergen info), just be aware that it will probably depend on all other pax being served first so they get their first choice, but EK don't really run out of food in J or F, so...
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:24 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
I have gluten intolerance (not coeliacs). I used to order GFSPML on EK. And most of the time the crew would ask if I wanted something from the normal menu (J & F). I can cope with a bit of cross contamination so not the end of the world. Cannot remember what info there is on board, if any, on allergens.

S
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:53 am

They only have that information out of Europe as it is a requirement there.
Old Nov 3, 18, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Hey,

Thought I'd post an update on where I got with this. I spoke to Emirates directly and sadly they told me they do not have food allergy information available on board or online before the flight.

I find this really poor service for what is meant to be one of the best airlines in the world. For all BA's faults, at least they manage to do this right.

I find it hard to believe that Emirates are unwilling to let passengers who are paying thousands of pounds for first class flights know what ingredients their menu items contain!

Last edited by mr_moon; Nov 3, 18 at 1:17 pm
Old Nov 3, 18, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mr_moon View Post
For all BA's faults, as least they manage to do this right.
It may well be a legal requirement for BA, so the incentive is much greater.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: