Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Review Emirates Business Class A380 - DXB to ZRH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:33 pm
Original Poster
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member

I hope you are not tired of these: my review of my flight from Dubai to Zurich in J with Emirates in March this year (2018).

tl;dr:
This was my first time using the Emirates Business Class lounge/terminal in DXB, so I took a closer look at this part of the journey. It was a Sunday afternoon and the lounge was basically empty. I liked the drinks and food on offer and the fact that the smoking rooms were not the worst part of it, but actually really cool pub-like bars. And of course the direct access to the plane without any contact to the Eco-plebs ;D

For more photos see my blog: Emirates Business Class A380 - DXB to ZRH - Continental Traveller

Departing from the Downtown Palace in Dubai the king sent us on our way in a truly royal manner: Emirates Business Class, where the service already starts from your doorstep all the way through via the grand Business lounge (rather terminal) at DXB, the great A380 product and ending at your home with the chauffeur service. I know, it sounds like advertisement, but rest assured that I am not contracted by Emirates and paid for the flight myself. I was just happy with their wholesome service offering. Read below to find out why!

The previous leg of this journey is reviewed in this post: Emirates Business Class B777 - SEZ to DXB

We booked our chauffeur drives early before our vacation and everything went just fine. The booking process for this was very easy via the EK website from the “Manage Booking” section.

Lounge - DXB Emirates Terminal 3

The driver dropped us off at DXB Emirates Terminal 3 at the entrance for Business and First Class passengers. Since there is a huge check-in hall reserved for premium customers of Emirates, there was no line for us at all and we were on our way to the lounge area after a few minutes.

Spanning the length of the whole concourse on top of the “normal people’s area”, a map is definitely helpful for this monstrous lounge.

And this is only the lounge in concourse A. Is your flight departing from B you’ll have something similar to this(I think half the size of this). And in C there is only a small room.

A whole section on one end of the lounge was closed…

…I wonder why, because there was no renovation work or anything in the closed area.

I entered one of the smoker lounges, which are designed like an English pub, and was greeted by happy bartenders who were making jokes with each other. This happiness directly swept over to me when I approached the bar to order Champagne - as I always say: when your employees are happy your customers will notice that.

Near our gate we entered our A380 directly from the lounge. This feature is one of the best of this Business Class lounge and adds to the seamless experience.

The Cabin

The cabin was as expected. I already reviewed this A380 Business seat in this post. Service was again warm and efficient.

Has anyone ever tried the HMDI port?

Dining

After a Veuve Clicquot for starters, I was looking forward to my chosen lunch menu.

The dishes were well prepared and quite tasty. Starting with the halibut carpaccio…

…and continuing with the chicken baharat and it was really good complete with a glass of Ch teauneuf-du-Pape Blanc.

The Bar

No A380 EK Biz flight without stopping by the bar.

Summary

One word describes the Emirates Business Class best: seamless.

All the features added to the flight experience are there to reduce waiting time, travel time and to make those times as comfortable as possible.

Starting with the chauffeur service, the separate check-in terminal, the lounge with its access to the plane without standing in the economy line and ending with the chauffeur drive home.

Admittedly, the lounge is only this great in Dubai and you usually don’t have this at other airports when flying Emirates. I also read elsewhere that this lounge is packed at certain times - when we were there on a Sunday afternoon it was basically empty.

I still don't like the Emirates interior design style that continues in the lounge as well. But that's just a minor point.

For more photos see my blog: Emirates Business Class A380 - DXB to ZRH - Continental Traveller
pierreza likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:58 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Thanks for the review. I think seamless is a good word to describe the DXB J and F experience. You will find (if not already) that a number of outstation lounges are even better in quality and decor than the DXB J lounges, although not matched in scale.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla
You will find (if not already) that a number of outstation lounges are even better in quality and decor than the DXB J lounges, although not matched in scale.
Couldn't agree more. And with much better dining options....
Silverswimmer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
We were in B business class lounge yesterday morning and never know it so packed.

Quite disappointing really - the scrambled egg was cold.

We had the new A380 onboard lounge with the seats and tables on both MRU-DXB and DXB-MAN.

Much prefer the old lounge with just the seating. If couples are already seated at the two available tables it seems rude to sit there too and disturb them so in reality the seating area is usually hogged by a few people now.

The old long seats were much a much more practical concept.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by daisymay2
We were in B business class lounge yesterday morning and never know it so packed.

We had the new A380 onboard lounge with the seats and tables on both MRU-DXB and DXB-MAN.

Much prefer the old lounge with just the seating. If couples are already seated at the two available tables it seems rude to sit there too and disturb them so in reality the seating area is usually hogged by a few people now.

Did you go to the Champagne Bar? While not as deserted and tranquil as it once was it is still a protected quiet haven in the B madness
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Did you go to the Champagne Bar? While not as deserted and tranquil as it once was it is still a protected quiet haven in the B madness
LOL! Been before a couple times and quite liked it and this time too lazy to walk there! Besides I already had enough wine and champagne on MRU-DXB flight and more to come!
Agree that end is much quieter!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:40 am

too lazy to walk there!
I suspect that's how most pax feel, which is why the lounge is significantly more crowded towards the entrances, even the dining area in the far left corner is much quieter than front left.

Another tip: The B lounge has a separate entrance/exit on the C-gates side (where the smoking area is), depending on where you're coming from/going to this can save significant back tracking. It's also conveniently nearer the Champagne Bar
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:41 am

Nice post.

Havent seen the Qi chargers in the lounge before. Nice touch. Anyone know when they started placing those?

I seem to usually transit through B.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Please don't tell everyone! We like to keep it quiet there...
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:58 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK

I have not physically seen the new on board lounge, but that is exactly what I surmised from seeing the pictures. And it looks a bit like a railway carriage layout to boot.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Please don't tell everyone! We like to keep it quiet there...
Haha I don't think there are enough people reading here to fill up the Champagne bar at a single time, so only fair to spread the word a bit, the staff there is lovely too and the more people interact with them the more recognition they may get
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:10 am

Seating on right of bar

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I have not physically seen the new on board lounge, but that is exactly what I surmised from seeing the pictures. And it looks a bit like a railway carriage layout to boot.
Exactly! The seating area with table on the left hand side facing the bar is very much like a railway carriage. I have pic of the right side of the bar seating.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: Skywards
According to Emirates the bar seating design was meant to emulate a yacht or sports boat not a railway carriage seating. I totally agree, the table with opposite seating is not very practical for the majority. Of course, if your a family of four or two couples, then its perfect.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: SLH Indulged, M&M, SPG, IHG Elite, Hyatt Member
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Thanks for the review. I think seamless is a good word to describe the DXB J and F experience. You will find (if not already) that a number of outstation lounges are even better in quality and decor than the DXB J lounges, although not matched in scale.
Thanks, I hope I'll be able to check out those outstations at some point.

When even that huge lounge is full, the feeling of luxury is nearly gone.

Alright, that is what I missed Is there actually a selection of different Champagnes or is it the same Moet?

Originally Posted by johhn14
Nice post.
Havent seen the Qi chargers in the lounge before. Nice touch. Anyone know when they started placing those?
I seem to usually transit through B.
Thanks, I was as surprised as you about those and had to take a picture. I already imagine the future of having these everywhere, like inside the cabin integrated in tables etc.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by lightwalker
Alright, that is what I missed Is there actually a selection of different Champagnes or is it the same Moet?
It's a branded Moet & Chandon Champagne Bar with four different types of Moet on offer (NV Brut, Nectar, Grand something and a vintage, 2007 or so? not sure but can check tomorrow night as I'll probably stop by during my transit)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.