Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Urgent – Can't reach travel agent to change ticket – how to proceed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent – Can't reach travel agent to change ticket – how to proceed?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Exclamation Urgent – Can't reach travel agent to change ticket – how to proceed?

I'm booked on a flight tomorrow (August 18) and need to change the dates (non-refundable ticket booked through a travel agent). Unfortunately, the TA seems to have gone missing! I managed to talk to her around noon yesterday, but since then she has not answered her phone, and there is no voice mail option. It just rings and rings before cutting off finally.

As of a few minutes ago, the itinerary had not been changed by her, as I can still see it online and Emirates phone reps can pull it up. They say they can't make any changes unless the TA authorizes them (which I can understand).

A phone agent I just talked with said that they can cancel the outbound leg so I am not charged a no-show fee. When I asked her about a residual credit for the itinerary for future rebooking, she said they do not issue those. But I (actually, the TA) was issued one before when I had to make an itinerary change:

EMIRATES TICKET:

AIR TOTAL USD 1400.34

EXCHANGE TICKET NUMBER 176-XXXXXXXXXX USD -866.34

AIRLINE CHANGE FEE USD 400.00

EMIRATES INVOICE TOTAL USD 934.00

I don't know whether we were not on the same wavelength, and she though I was asking about a refund for the canceled ticket, or whether they don't issue the credit in such a case to the passenger but only to the TA, or what she meant. But it certainly happened a few months ago.

Is there anything else I can (or should) do at this point that I'm not thinking of? If I don't hear from the TA tonight, I will book a totally new itinerary myself (probably not on Emirates, as at this point they cost more for the dates I now need than other carriers do) and ask Emirates to cancel at least my outbound leg tomorrow. And I know a new itinerary on another carrier can be canceled within 24 hours if I do hear from the TA and learn she has rebooked me on Emirates.

I suppose I will have to take up the issue of getting a refund from the TA if she fails to change the itinerary in time. Any advice on how to approach that?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Can you get to the airport tomorrow? Try to check-in or ticketing desks once it's under airport control
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Can you get to the airport tomorrow? Try to check-in or ticketing desks once it's under airport control
Thanks, skywardhunter. Unfortunately, I can’t get to the airport tomorrow.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa

Thanks, skywardhunter. Unfortunately, I can’t get to the airport tomorrow.
I'm not 100% sure how much control EK can take, but in that case my best guess is to try calling the ticketing desk at the airport at that time or call EK and get the number from them if you can't find it. Maybe they can assist over the phone. By non-refundable do you mean it is a Saver ticket? This would be shown on your eticket next to each flight (Economy Saver, Economy Flex, Business Saver, Business Flex, etc).

If it is a Special it cannot be changed - at all. A saver I believe can be changed but for a high fee, a Flex can be changed for a reasonable (usually) fee, and a Flex Plus is fully changable for no fee (you always pay the fare difference, though). So keep this in mind and set your expectations accordingly.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

All I can see is the fare buckets - T & M.

EDIT: Those are Economy Saver and Economy Flex.

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; Aug 17, 2018 at 7:46 pm Reason: Update fare classes
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:19 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Emirates rarely do non-refundable.

In your case the most restrictive fare will apply (the Saver) and it will be refundable less charges. What's important is to cancel the booking so you don't get charged a no-show fee, the refund then can be dealt with later through TA.

Have you tried requesting a refund on the EK website? this will automatically cancel your booking.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I was able to cancel via the call center.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I was able to cancel via the call center.
Did you get any residual credit that you could apply to a future booking?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xobile
Did you get any residual credit that you could apply to a future booking?
I did, but it is in limbo, as the agent still owns the reservation, and we had not been able to reach her as of a few weeks ago.

I need to check into it again – I have been away on an extended assignment and am just back in the office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.