Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates to Emirates same flight number stop in Bali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

Hi,

looking at EK flight AKL-DXB with a 1:55 hour stop in DPS (flight number remains the same),

Can anyone tell me what the process for the stop is - offloaded I presume? No clearing immigration. Any other pointers.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Hi,

looking at EK flight AKL-DXB with a 1:55 hour stop in DPS (flight number remains the same),

Can anyone tell me what the process for the stop is - offloaded I presume? No clearing immigration. Any other pointers.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
I don't know, and haven't seen any reports of this route (it's quite new), but given the duration of the stop and the segments I'd say you'd get off and follow signs for international transit, taking you back to the departures hall (maybe transit security enroute, I don't know as I've only arrived at, not transited DPS)
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:24 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I don't know, and haven't seen any reports of this route (it's quite new), but given the duration of the stop and the segments I'd say you'd get off and follow signs for international transit, taking you back to the departures hall (maybe transit security enroute, I don't know as I've only arrived at, not transited DPS)
Wouldn’t be surprised if it was something similar to SIN if it’s that length of a stop. Everybody off, including all hand luggage. Possibly an In Transit Boarding pass. Through security and into the departures area to wait for re-boarding.

S
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
But
EK has a stop in RGN (Myanmar) and the pax stay on board whilst it is cleaned and refueled
SS
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
EK has a stop in RGN (Myanmar) and the pax stay on board whilst it is cleaned and refueled
Similarly in BKK on the way to HKG, the through passengers stay on and the aircraft is cleaned and re-stocked around them. From previous threads I believe it's dictated by the destination country's security requirements.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:31 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
One can get off in BKK on EK419 if they want. Its a long walk back though.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: Skywards silver
the stops that you get to stay on board for, is it still possible to have drinks from the galley etc in J class when in the ground?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I took the DPS-AKL leg of this flight a few weeks ago and the plane was empty when I boarded, implying transit pax get off
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I'd guess there is always an additional security check before any plane can take off towards NZ.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
been exchanging messages with EK social media team

you get off plane and transit

you dont have to clear customs, but it's not clear what any other processes are

there are mentions elsewhere Indonesia has a Transit with Visa - and for some this may cost US$10 (but I have no idea if that is correct or not)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:13 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Silverswimmer
But
SS
‘Depends on country regulations. DXB - CMB - SIN you are not supposed to get off in CMB, I have to stretch my legs because nobody can really stop you . They have agents asking to see your BP but they aren’t strict and you anyway have two BPs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:13 am

been exchanging messages with EK social media team

you get off plane and transit

you dont have to clear customs, but it's not clear what any other processes are

there are mentions elsewhere Indonesia has a Transit with Visa - and for some this may cost US$10 (but I have no idea if that is correct or not)
Since you don't pass immigration I don't see how a visa would be required, this is a common misconception, mainly with Americans, because for some reason the USA has decided that convenience sucks and there's no international-to-international airside transit. Virtually every other airport around the world does permit this, however, without requirement for a visa, transit visas are generally required where one needs to go land-side for whatever reason, whether this is collecting and re-checking bags or switching airports (e.g. LHR-LGW)
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Since you don't pass immigration I don't see how a visa would be required, this is a common misconception, mainly with Americans, because for some reason the USA has decided that convenience sucks and there's no international-to-international airside transit. Virtually every other airport around the world does permit this, however, without requirement for a visa, transit visas are generally required where one needs to go land-side for whatever reason, whether this is collecting and re-checking bags or switching airports (e.g. LHR-LGW)
yes that was my assumption as to what the process would be (and agree with you in relation to US) - I am surprised Emirates could not say that
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:30 am

yes that was my assumption as to what the process would be (and agree with you in relation to US) - I am surprised Emirates could not say that
Presumably they just go from what timatic says. transit visas are one of those weird things no one really understands, people see it in the timatic readout and go into a blind panic over whether they're required. Lots of nationalities get visa-free or visa-on-arrival into Indonesia so even if it was needed you could probably sort it out there, but then again, you're on a single through-flight DXB-AKL via DPS, I am 100% certain EK would not require you to have travel documents for Indonesia on such a routing.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:10 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Presumably they just go from what timatic says. transit visas are one of those weird things no one really understands, people see it in the timatic readout and go into a blind panic over whether they're required. Lots of nationalities get visa-free or visa-on-arrival into Indonesia so even if it was needed you could probably sort it out there, but then again, you're on a single through-flight DXB-AKL via DPS, I am 100% certain EK would not require you to have travel documents for Indonesia on such a routing.
agreed, never understood the point of transit visas; It’s either you are allowed landside or you are not. Needing a visa to stay at the airport to only to go landisde for several hours is a bit pointless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.