Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A380 First class: Pros and Cons I haven't seen being talked about

Old Sep 13, 18, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I'm making this thread because I wasn't able to find the information I wanted to share anywhere online. I apologize in advance if this is all common knowledge. I put the different topics in order of what I would think are the least talked about to the most talked about, so hopefully the most interesting stuff will come first. I do have 2 pictures I wish I could post, each one illustrating one of the pros, but I am a new member of this forum so I'm understandably not allowed.

Pros:

Leg Stretching

Being able to have your legs fully stretched for the entire flight, even during takeoff and landing, by propping your feet up on the table in front of you. I didn't ask, but I'm pretty sure the flight attendants saw me and didn't say anything. Even if you're not tall enough to reach the front table, you might be able to use the side console. For reference, I'm 1,84m and I had to use the side of the table since the middle was too close.

Corn Flakes

What I asked for was corn flakes. What I got was a bowl of corn flakes with the milk in a small metal pitcher on the side, a small white ceramic cup with 3 packets of browns sugar, 2 packets of white sugar, and 2 packets of sweetener, a basket with 4 different pastries, and a plate with 3 different jams, butter and honey. I was blown away.

Cons:

Power Outlets

The power outlets have a power limit of 150 watts. If you plug in anything that pulls more than that, they shut down until you unplug it. My laptop isn't particularly big or expensive, sporting a 15.6" screen, an i7-6700HQ and a GTX 950m (the main power consumers), but at the 110 volts the sockets run at, its charger pulls 220w. The most efficient universal charger that I was able to find that could supply my laptop with enough power to run still needed 187w. According to what I was told by a live chat customer support employee, that limit is the same on every class of every flight Emirates operates. I understand that there needs to be a limit, but I wish it was bigger for First, especially considering how few seats it has. I guess I would had still been able to use my laptop for some time by giving it to a cabin crew member for them to charge it using their maintenance plugs once it ran out of battery, if it didn't come busted out of the box. Thanks Asus.

Food

They ran out of the main course dish I wanted to have 2 hours after takeoff. This was a 17 hour flight. The one I settled on was mediocre. A friend of mine that was also in first was able to get the one I originally wanted but apparently it was also nothing special so I guess I didn't miss out on much. To be fair, I had another 4 varieties of food and they were all quite good.

Shower

While it is amazing to be able to have a shower on a plane, I found the inside of it to be too cold during mine. By the end of it I was almost freezing. This is because you only get 5 minutes of running water, so you have to rinse yourself and then turn off the water while you scrub, and the water that stayed on my body cooled quickly. The lack of some sort of general heating in the bathroom seems odd to me, considering the floor is heated.

Wi-fi (This is probably the most common and predictable issue of the ones I encountered).

The Wi-fi did not work every time I tried to use it, approximately 3 hours after takeoff and 3 hours before landing, multiple times each time. The plane was at cruising altitude both times, so that wasn't the problem. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it.

That's all I have to say for now, thank you for reading. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by dmlf1; Sep 13, 18 at 10:13 am Reason: Dot instead of space
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thanks for this post and welcome to the EK forum. Two things that surprise me: didn't know they had corn flakes onboard, and this is one of the only instances I've seen of the first choice not being available in F, where generally EK is well regarded for not running out of options.

The shower is unfortunate, the plastic can be cold, one could probably ask the crew to increase the ambient temperature but one shouldn't need to. For what it's worth, 5 minutes of running water is a luxury I don't have in Cape Town where we are restricted by water restrictions to 90 second showers, so I can only partially empathize I've recently treated myself on a few occasions to 4-minute showers, ssh, don't tell the mayor!

FUN FACT: While EK don't fly an A380 to CPT, the airport has published water restrictions in place requiring all aircraft to tanker their onboard water from their origin, i.e. no refills, wonder how this would affect the shower as I believe that EK has a limited dedicated water supply for these, so it probably depends on what's left over from the inbound flight.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Thanks for this post and welcome to the EK forum. Two things that surprise me: didn't know they had corn flakes onboard, and this is one of the only instances I've seen of the first choice not being available in F, where generally EK is well regarded for not running out of options.

The shower is unfortunate, the plastic can be cold, one could probably ask the crew to increase the ambient temperature but one shouldn't need to. For what it's worth, 5 minutes of running water is a luxury I don't have in Cape Town where we are restricted by water restrictions to 90 second showers, so I can only partially empathize I've recently treated myself on a few occasions to 4-minute showers, ssh, don't tell the mayor!

FUN FACT: While EK don't fly an A380 to CPT, the airport has published water restrictions in place requiring all aircraft to tanker their onboard water from their origin, i.e. no refills, wonder how this would affect the shower as I believe that EK has a limited dedicated water supply for these, so it probably depends on what's left over from the inbound flight.
Well at least you can probably turn on a heater in your bathroom. That really sucks though, even only rinsing myself when I felt I needed to I used up most of the 5 minutes of running water, I'd probably have to look up a guide on how to take a shower that short if I needed to. I hope things get better over there.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by dmlf1 View Post
Well at least you can probably turn on a heater in your bathroom. That really sucks though, even only rinsing myself when I felt I needed to I used up most of the 5 minutes of running water, I'd probably have to look up a guide on how to take a shower that short if I needed to. I hope things get better over there.
It's been raining so hopefully no more water restrictions soon, and we don't have built-in heaters in South Africa and no electrical outlets in bathrooms (which seems sensible to me, given the water), and this winter has been blisteringly cold, but that's go nothing to do with EK
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
Just flew on EK First on both plane on 2 legs
LAX - DXB on A380
And DXB - SIN on B777

A380 seems to fly smoother than b777 although the weather difference can be the cause.

Suite size, both seems similarly sized,

Wifi, horrible on a380 ... very slow and only useful for text only chat
B777 wifi is waay better

Shower on a380 .... looks like it was a gimmick at first but actually it was very useful.
5 minutes of water is sufficient for me.
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), EK Plat, TG*G
On the hearing point, I find that some of the good attendants tend to heat up the bathroom at a considerably higher temperature ahead of oneís shower. I am not sure if this is only possible on the newer A380s or if itís something that can be done fleet-wide, but it certainly makes the shower much more comfortable.
Old Sep 13, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
I'm making this thread because I wasn't able to find the information I wanted to share anywhere online. I apologize in advance if this is all common knowledge. I put the different topics in order of what I would think are the least talked about to the most talked about, so hopefully the most interesting stuff will come first. I do have 2 pictures I wish I could post, each one illustrating one of the pros, but I am a new member of this forum so I'm understandably not allowed.

Pros:

Leg Stretching

Being able to have your legs fully stretched for the entire flight, even during takeoff and landing, by propping your feet up on the table in front of you. I didn't ask, but I'm pretty sure the flight attendants saw me and didn't say anything. Even if you're not tall enough to reach the front table, you might be able to use the side console. For reference, I'm 1,84m and I had to use the side of the table since the middle was too close.

Corn Flakes

What I asked for was corn flakes. What I got was a bowl of corn flakes with the milk in a small metal pitcher on the side, a small white ceramic cup with 3 packets of browns sugar, 2 packets of white sugar, and 2 packets of sweetener, a basket with 4 different pastries, and a plate with 3 different jams, butter and honey. I was blown away.

Cons:

Power Outlets

The power outlets have a power limit of 150 watts. If you plug in anything that pulls more than that, they shut down until you unplug it. My laptop isn't particularly big or expensive, sporting a 15.6" screen, an i7-6700HQ and a GTX 950m (the main power consumers), but at the 110 volts the sockets run at, its charger pulls 220w. The most efficient universal charger that I was able to find that could supply my laptop with enough power to run still needed 187w. According to what I was told by a live chat customer support employee, that limit is the same on every class of every flight Emirates operates. I understand that there needs to be a limit, but I wish it was bigger for First, especially considering how few seats it has. I guess I would had still been able to use my laptop for some time by giving it to a cabin crew member for them to charge it using their maintenance plugs once it ran out of battery, if it didn't come busted out of the box. Thanks Asus.

Food

They ran out of the main course dish I wanted to have 2 hours after takeoff. This was a 17 hour flight. The one I settled on was mediocre. A friend of mine that was also in first was able to get the one I originally wanted but apparently it was also nothing special so I guess I didn't miss out on much. To be fair, I had another 4 varieties of food and they were all quite good.

Shower

While it is amazing to be able to have a shower on a plane, I found the inside of it to be too cold during mine. By the end of it I was almost freezing. This is because you only get 5 minutes of running water, so you have to rinse yourself and then turn off the water while you scrub, and the water that stayed on my body cooled quickly. The lack of some sort of general heating in the bathroom seems odd to me, considering the floor is heated.

Wi-fi (This is probably the most common and predictable issue of the ones I encountered).

The Wi-fi did not work every time I tried to use it, approximately 3 hours after takeoff and 3 hours before landing, multiple times each time. The plane was at cruising altitude both times, so that wasn't the problem. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for it.

That's all I have to say for now, thank you for reading. I'll try to answer any questions you might have.
Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Personally, I always found the shower spas very warm, due to the underfloor heating. Never felt cold in the shower either. But maybe one can ask for the heat to be turned up?

Cornflakes - standard stuff on EK in F and J for children's breakfasts. So should be available for other pax, too.

Stretching your legs during the entire flight - isn't that why one would book F in the first place? Propping feet up on the table during takeoff or landing is not the smartest idea IMHO and down to personal discretion during all other times.
Old Sep 13, 18, 2:27 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Iíve always found the bathroom pre-warmed for my shower.

I also ask for the last available time slot and most times they are happy to arrange a double shower, however itís not as great as you think because you get 5mins, then have to wait for them to reset it then another 5mins.

If you do it right though, you can have 5mins soak, scrub during the reset and 5mins rinse.
Old Sep 14, 18, 2:38 am

Programs: Skywards Blue

EK states that WiFi on their A380 is significantly slower, I think it was mentioned during the ICE advert just after takeoff. The 380 is only capable of 864 kbps, which is quite pathetic, and the B777 was advertised as going up to 3 Mbps, but in my experience, it was hovering around the 7-8 Mbps mark.

On my trip to KUL in July, my dad flew the 380, and had a hard time using the WiFi as well, so he eventually gave up. I flew to and from KUL on the B777, and had WiFi almost the entire duration of the flight. Although browsing was a bit slow, probably due to the insanely high latency, everything worked fine, heck I even managed to post an FT thread on the way there asking how to reset the IFE cause the one on my seat wasn't working right.
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:15 am

...by propping your feet up on the table in front of you...
IMO from a hygiene perspective that's disgusting and is akin to putting up your feet on the bulkhead in coach, even though you have your own mini suite.

But that's just me.
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:17 pm

Cons seats that donít go flat

inconsistent rude crew

hit and miss on aircraft

poor food (better recently)

poor ground experience in many places

pros

miles better than j

stellar crews (occasionally)

the wine

the champagne

the spirits

the shower

the new first suites
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post

inconsistent rude crew

hit and miss on aircraft

poor food (better recently)

poor ground experience in many places

pros

miles better than j

stellar crews (occasionally)

the wine

the champagne

the spirits

the shower

the new first suites
Forgot caviar
gillyd22 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 18, 2:54 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Really? In F? Not by design as far as I am aware?
Old Sep 15, 18, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Really? In F? Not by design as far as I am aware?
Some are faulty and are not 180 flat...
Old Sep 15, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Legs :
Please remove your shoes and always keep your socks on.
Keep in mind that pax behind you, on the other side of the aisle can see your feet.

Power outlet :
150W seems enough. Small PC usually needs a 45W or 60W charger, while bigger PC needs 90W. Are you sure you don't use an overdimensioned charger ?

Food.
That's very strange. Never had issues with choices.
Moreover, people saying that food in F is mediocre are a little bit hard on their judgement. Food may not be stellar good, but not "mediocre", unless if you are comparing to three-star on-the-ground restaurants.

Shower
I can understand, having experienced the same. It is only a feeling. When the body is wet, the slightest breeze of air makes you feel cold.

WIFI
On my personal count, I had satisfactory WIFI on A380 less than 5% of the time. WIFI on B777 is much better.

Now, if I may, what is the point of doing such a "pros & cons" ? It is interresting only if you compare with another airline.

Anyway, I may add some pros :
+ Chauffeur drive with "higher class" sedan, though only E-class in DXB
+ Dine on demand
+ First class lounge at DXB and at some outstations (like HND)
+ Dedicated First class check-in counter (one or two persons in front of you gets me nervous )
+ Comfortable bedding (mattress and blanket)
+ CSA maintaining bathrooms
+ Bateel dates
+ Big TV screen
+ No carry-ons above the head
+ Snack basket
+ All the alcohols available at the FCL self-service bar
+ Complete amenity kit available on all flights (except the short ones)
+ Professionalism of the crew (most of the time)
+ Doors of the suite adding privacy

And some cons :
+ Useless minibar taking a lot of space
+ Not super comfortable seat. The leather is not soft. I understand that the new seat on B777 is far better.
+ Suites not designed for couples
+ The new Byredo travel-well kit is .. black, which is a cleaving colour for cosmetics. (I don't like it)
+ Cheap pen. The new black one is horrible.
+ Pajama always too large
+ Sometimes, some equipment is tired. Ex : overhead lamp coming out, seat not locked at take-off position, etc

Search this Thread
Search Engine: