Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A380 First class: Pros and Cons I haven't seen being talked about

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 First class: Pros and Cons I haven't seen being talked about

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ioto1902
And some cons :
+ Suites not designed for couples
This one is the biggest con for me, beside the minibar being totally useless...
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Power outlet :
150W seems enough. Small PC usually needs a 45W or 60W charger, while bigger PC needs 90W. Are you sure you don't use an overdimensioned charger ?

Food.
That's very strange. Never had issues with choices.
Moreover, people saying that food in F is mediocre are a little bit hard on their judgement. Food may not be stellar good, but not "mediocre", unless if you are comparing to three-star on-the-ground restaurants.
The watt measures you're talking about are the amount the transformer sends to the computer, not the one they pull from the wall. They can't be 100% efficient, so some of the energy they get supplied with is always lost, which is why those numbers are different.

By "mediocre" I mean it tasted like something from a cheap restaurant, very little flavour.

Last edited by dmlf1; Sep 15, 2018 at 8:09 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:23 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by dmlf1
By "mediocre" I mean it tasted like something from a cheap restaurant, very little flavour.
That's my biggest complaint regarding EK F. The food isn't great in my experience. I've had much better/tastier on QR J - although I believe that's been "enhanced" a bit lately.

I also thought the EK J food I got on a 2 class B777 was fantastic (to and from SGN) - much better than EK F for some reason.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's my biggest complaint regarding EK F. The food isn't great in my experience. I've had much better/tastier on QR J - although I believe that's been "enhanced" a bit lately.

I also thought the EK J food I got on a 2 class B777 was fantastic (to and from SGN) - much better than EK F for some reason.
It depends so much on the menu. Sometimes you get a great menu and the dishes are great, sometimes they're boring and uninspired unfortunately
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It depends so much on the menu. Sometimes you get a great menu and the dishes are great, sometimes they're boring and uninspired unfortunately
That's probably it. The flights to SGN were quite spicy and tasty. My last four F legs have been to or from AMS, so the menu would have probably been aimed more at the western European market.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
My last four F legs have been to or from AMS, so the menu would have probably been aimed more at the western European market.
Maybe EK procured the food from the same place that KL get theirs from...
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: EK Platinum
.Being able to have your legs fully stretched for the entire flight, even during takeoff and landing, by propping your feet up on the table in front of you. .
I am surprised to read this. If you put your feet on the table you dont belong there. The pax after you might put his headphone there or other stuff. Did you think about this? It’s disgusting how some people behave. Honestly! And Cornflakes they offer in F in EK for breakfast since many years.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Andreaswil
I am surprised to read this. If you put your feet on the table you dont belong there. The pax after you might put his headphone there or other stuff. Did you think about this? It’s disgusting how some people behave. Honestly! And Cornflakes they offer in F in EK for breakfast since many years.
Well, I am surprised that you never saw this. (Lucky you)
I'd say that it happens one flight out of five. Often, they don't put "on" the table, but they put the sole (of the foot) on the edge of the table. Usually in socks, sometimes in slippers, and rarely bare foot.
I agree that this is disgusting.

I often put one foot on the magazine rack.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:50 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Storage bin in F is at good arms length if you've got your preflight chicken nuggets to match the Dom.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
The only "con" I can think of is that the fuselage on the A380 feels a bit confining to me in the window suites (I've not noticed it at all on the 777s). The curvature is really pronounced upstairs. Often the flights between LAX and DXB aren't completely full (at least after the summer), so I can split my time between the middle section and 2K - the center section feels so much bigger, but I am reluctant to book a seat in the middle for fear that someone will be sitting next to me, which I really don't like. I've never had an issue with the food - it's predictable and quite nice, if one likes mezzes and the like (although I always have them switch out the heart-burn inducing muhummarah little bowl with an additional seafood delight). I do find the attendants positioned outside the spas/lavatories a little disconcerting sometimes - I understand their role, but it can feel like they're monitors. I've not really used the bar at the top of the stairs - instead, I ask the attendants to bring a bottle of Paradis back to the rear bar, where it is a lot more fun to sit and talk with other passengers. I think the showers are superb on the A380 - I ask the attendants to crank up the floor temperature and it is perfect. All in all, I find EK F a great way to fly from the US West Coast to the Arabian peninsula - nice service (always!), great movie selection, and good connections to JED (Jeddah), my ultimate destination.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

I am surprised to read this. If you put your feet on the table you dont belong there. The pax after you might put his headphone there or other stuff. Did you think about this? It’s disgusting how some people behave. Honestly!
I did think about that, but I would assume everything gets cleaned between flights, especially in first. Edit: Also, I did it with my shoes on, I didn't want to show off my bare feet to strangers.

Last edited by dmlf1; Sep 17, 2018 at 5:43 am Reason: Additional Information
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: EK Silver...just

I have seen an ex-footballer with his bare feet on the desk in 1K. Hairy feet too. Wont mention any names, but he doesn't get on too well with his brother these days.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I did think about that, but I would assume everything gets cleaned between flights, especially in first.
I still wipe down surfaces before handing back my welcome towel.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

Just one example on the web:
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:36 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by extramileage
Just one example on the web: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOmBq2Hge42/
One advantage when flying Y: unless the previous passenger was a really good contortionist, there is no way he could have done that....
Saltire74 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.