Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Thinking about throwing away my F ticket

Thinking about throwing away my F ticket

Old Sep 12, 18, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bashing people with special needs shall not be tollerated.
Angry Thinking about throwing away my F ticket

Hello all,

I’m travelling with my elderly dad and we are booked in on the following route: CAI-DXB-ADL/SYD-SIN-DXB-FCO, all in F. We just landed in DXB and Im seriously thinking about throwing away the EK tickets and buy CX, LH or EY for the route. I just spent 1 hour checking out availablity and prices, and even if it bloody expensive, even if I will for sure not get my money back from EK I'm considering it. It is not about money anymore, but about the overall F experience.Expectations are high, as is the price is (departing in CAI makes it somehow cheaper but still expensive).

To make justice… the EK stuff onboard the 777 were perfect, skilled, friendly… and the food was wow. Thank you EK!

Still the disappointment is huge…
I have booked for my dad a wheelchair service. He is fit to fly bot he has major problems when walking short distances. He is also very limited when its about moving around.

Today we landed at DXB in the C area of T3. The wheelchair was waiting in front of the door. Perfect! Suddenly he stopped telling me he must wait until ALL wheelchair passengers are there, also those in J… in order to assign the passengers to the wheelchairs. I complained.. My dad really was very tired and as a F passenger, sorry, I expect a F wheelchair service…. I know.. you will say something like this does not exist… still, I just want the best for my dad…. And at the homebase of EK I think I can have high expectations. Waiting 30 minutes until the last wheelchair passengers is out? No! Thank you!

The wheelchair guy agreed and left with me and my dad. Thumbs up. BUT… here it comes… he had a wheelchair while his collegues were literally sleeping on the electric trolleys. I had to run with handluggages for both of us the very long long way. My father did also feel very uncomfortable on the rather bad wheelchair. I’m not the youngest and healthiest, and having to run behind the wheelchair with 4 peaces of small handluggage was really difficult…. And yes, I totally understand that J passengers have to do the same. Mostly seeing all the electric trolleys around, and all the service employee hangig around bored got me upset!! How can EK tolerate that airport stuff literally sleeps on the e-trollyes?? Does the F experience end at the aircrafts door for wheelchair passengers? I am sure I'm not the first one buying F mostly in order to avoid stress for elderly.

Side note: a few days ago I was thinking to book the VIP service in DXB, as I did in CAI. I read so many negative reviews for DXB, that I decided not to do it.

Last disappointment… EK advertises that F passengers are being transported with a Benz S or a BMW 7. At home we drive an S and I was hoping that my dad had an easy access in and out, as he has back home. But no… it was a basic E class. Again, it was difficult for him. If they showed up with a 20 years old SUV would have been better. It is really not about ego.... but about comfort.Right now I am really considering to throw away the tickets.
I overestimated EK.
What do you think?
Is a EK rep reading this?
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
There are no EK reps on this forum. You would throw away the F ticket which will take you in a single flight to your destination to ADL and rather book a CX ticket, departing DXB, thus receiving the same wheel chair service, from the same staff (they don't work for EK, they work for Dubai Airports), fly the wrong direction for 8 or 9 hours, to transit another airport, and fly another 8 hours or so to ADL?

I suggest you contact EK and ask them to provide vans for the remainder of your CD bookings if that is your preference.

The F experience with EK ends at the aircraft door in DXB, the golf carts aren't part of the ground experience for F pax. Did you ask any of the staff about possibility of using one? At concourse C the walkway from aircraft to the security checkpoint is narrow and on an upper level, I don't think golf carts can drive there.
glennhaak likes this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:33 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold| EY Gold|IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond|SPG Plat
EK does not advertise S class or 7 series anywhere for their ChauChauf drive service. The S class is exclusively for use of IO passengers only.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:56 am

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Zol View Post
EK does not advertise S class or 7 series anywhere for their ChauChauf drive service. The S class is exclusively for use of IO passengers only.
I have had an S class (with Maybach interior) in AMS. Twice. Flying J.
But you are right, it is not advertised.

As far as throwing away the F ticket is concerned. That seems a bit over the top. It has been reported here many times that the EK F service ends at the aircraft door (or rather the terminal entrance as there are dedicated F buses for bus gates). Of course the F lounge is also an exception to this ‘rule’.
Old Sep 12, 18, 12:12 pm

Good thing is that CX and LH (DXB-ADL via Germany?) Offer complimentary S class chauffeur drive guaranteed. I'd throw away the EK ticket just for that
Old Sep 12, 18, 2:27 pm

As others have said it looks like Dubai Airport issue rather than strictly Emirates issue.

But Emirates could work with Dubai Airport and ensure their First class passengers' experience doesn't end when they step off the airline and include transiting through airport as part of the service.

Emirates is always looking at standing out, so this would definitely be a good suggestion to their customer service.

You should also provide feedback to Dubai airport regarding your experience. Stick to facts, leave emotions out of it and suggest on how it could have been better
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I understand a few answers have a certain undertone... so I just hope you will never have a wheelchair passenger (beloved dad) for which you feel responsible and really take care, having the minimum expectation not to have to carry luggages around for 15/20 minutes on a F ticket, having your loved one in a crappy wheelchair, while others are sleeping. Yes I had requested for assistance, or a porter, it was declined with a smile. I would have payed or tipped for this service. I have contacted EK and I do not expect any feedback. We have a few days in DXB and tonight I talked to my dad about this. It seems we will not proceed our journey, at least not with EK. The only strategy would be requesting a wheelchair for myself, therefore avoiding that something like this repeats. But since I am not a cheater, and not in the mood of playing games like this, I prefer to throw away the ticket and find alternative carriers and eventually a different routing, since we have enough time. This is not the F soft product I expect.

Imagine if my dad was travelling alone, he would have had to wait for all the eco passengers, having his hand luggage packed on his lap... Come on. Do not tell me this is normal. Ive had better experiences in different continents.... in Y, in J and in F.

P.S. we have 4 small carry ons (stackable 2 and 2) and no checked in luggage exactly because I can not handle bigger luggages, plus dad, plus handluggage. My dad can walk very short distances and I have prebooked electric wchairs rentals everywhere.

P.S.S. Im really quite sure I read somewhere that all F passengers get a S class on a European EK site. Perhaps Im mixing it up...

Last edited by tortellini; Sep 12, 18 at 3:32 pm
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:29 pm

This is what you need: https://www.marhabaservices.com/
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

skywardhunter.... I read quite a lot of the reviews about this service 2 weeks ago and and I did NOT book it because of the average bad reviews.
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by tortellini View Post
skywardhunter.... I read quite a lot of the reviews about this service 2 weeks ago and and I did NOT book it because of the average bad reviews.
Where were these reviews? Posters here have generally spoken highly of them as I recall.

Post #5 here indicates specifically that they'd carry your hand luggage. As mentioned already when you leave DXB the other airlines (operating out of the lesser nice T1 and Concourse D at DXB) will rely on the same wheelchair service that you encountered upon your arrival:

Marhaba transfer at DXB for transit passengers
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

skywardhunter, just google for it as I did, see Tripadvisor... I was planing to book it until I read the bad reviews. If an airline works in a crap airport, it is up to them to provide a good escrow service. Example? Fly F with LH from JFK to FRA. You get an escrow to the aircraft even if you are not a wheelchair passenger, and in FRA there is motivated staff around helping F passengers, and uberhelping wheelchair passengers. Same experience with Garuda in CGK. Just to mention two.... Anyway, I accept you are defending EK (I do not know why and can not share it). Please, accept my overall disappointment. To be clear... I fly F quite often, with my dad, without my dad. An experience like today is something totally new.
Old Sep 12, 18, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by tortellini View Post
Anyway, I accept you are defending EK (I do not know why and can not share it).
I may appear to be defending EK, but I am sure all of us on this forum, including myself, would love for EK to improve the F ground handling service. This is a forum where people share their observations, questions, opinions, generally in expectation of a response with other view points, information, clarifications or agreement. It seems to me that you only seek agreement, or perhaps no response at all, in which case perhaps sharing your experience on Tripadvisor may have been a better idea.

For those of us here that are familiar with EK, DXB and the ground handling the experience you had seems rather ordinary, and EK do not anywhere advertise anything to the contrary, nor would you likely find a trip report purporting there to be a complimentary extended ground service for F pax at DXB. Again, we'd all love to see something like what LH or AF offer, but right now that is not the reality, nor is it advertised as such. To reiterate, you're throwing away a ticket, and you indicate you actually enjoyed the onboard experience, because of your experience with a third party service provider, and the fact EK don't provide something they never claimed they do.
gezza48 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 18, 4:37 pm

Sounds like the problem is with DXB... not EK.
Old Sep 12, 18, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The notion that one would remotely consider putting another person through the type of journey which OP contemplates, let alone someone one purports to love because the wheelchair was rickety and he would have been required to mingle with the subhumans in J makes me doubt just how serious this is.

Wheelchairs are for people who need wheelchairs. Rich, well-off, and poor alike. In this instance, it would appear that in order to provide some form of expedited service to OP's father, some number of J passengers who required assistance were left to fend for themselves.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Do it.

Throw away the ticket and buy one on Cathay.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: