Wiki Posts
Search

Best seat for itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver
Best seat for itinerary

Hello folks, made a last minute booking from BHX to BKK, then on to HKG 2 days later before returning to STN another 2 days later all in Y Flex

I've already upgraded the BHX-DXB leg using soon to be expiring miles, annoyingly I was a few 1000 miles short of being able to upgrade both legs all the way to BKK. Have transferred some Amex points over but the delay in receiving could result in availability being taken so went with the first leg.

They've put me in 6K for the J upgrade on BHX-DXB subject to no baby on board, and I've selected 18A for the 777 going to BKK.

Anyone care to offer advice on best Y seat on the big bus to HKG from BKK? My demotion has resulted in charges being applied so want to make the right choice if I'm paying for it.

Also will be upgrading the DXB-STN flight so any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
On the A380 forget the preferred seats. On a 3-class mid-way between two galleys/lavs is best, but not in the first mini-cabin, the further back you are the better your chance of an empty seat next to you. Front section of seats has excessive noise, foot traffic and light from forward lavs. On a 2-class upper deck every time.

Also, if you're on a 77W in 18A (not sure, but that sounds like a 77W Y seat) I'd go for row 19, one more row away from crying babies, and I like the way the window aligns, better to lean against the wall. I virtually always sit in 19K unless I shuffle around to try game an empty seat or row, subject to flight loads. More than 3 days out I'm in 19K 99% of the time.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
On the A380 forget the preferred seats. On a 3-class mid-way between two galleys/lavs is best, but not in the first mini-cabin, the further back you are the better your chance of an empty seat next to you. Front section of seats has excessive noise, foot traffic and light from forward lavs. On a 2-class upper deck every time.

Also, if you're on a 77W in 18A (not sure, but that sounds like a 77W Y seat) I'd go for row 19, one more row away from crying babies, and I like the way the window aligns, better to lean against the wall. I virtually always sit in 19K unless I shuffle around to try game an empty seat or row, subject to flight loads. More than 3 days out I'm in 19K 99% of the time.
Interesting regarding the wall alignment in 19k. I've already done the online check in for that flight and the system won't allow me to change the seat anymore.

The BKK to HKG route is on a 2 class A380 but truth is I'm not that fussed about it as it's only 3 hours long. Short enough to make Y bearable, not long enough to enjoy F

On the 3 class A380 do you mean somewhere in the middle of the Y cabin as a whole? I've only been in the front of the a380 Y cabin due to having status before so not too familiar with the layout in the bottom deck. I'll be taking the 2 class from HKG to DXB via a brief stopover in BKK so perhaps it would be worth paying to be in the upper deck seeing as it's an extra long flight. Do you have to stay on the plane while it's in BKK?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by milehighmike
Interesting regarding the wall alignment in 19k. I've already done the online check in for that flight and the system won't allow me to change the seat anymore.

The BKK to HKG route is on a 2 class A380 but truth is I'm not that fussed about it as it's only 3 hours long. Short enough to make Y bearable, not long enough to enjoy F

On the 3 class A380 do you mean somewhere in the middle of the Y cabin as a whole? I've only been in the front of the a380 Y cabin due to having status before so not too familiar with the layout in the bottom deck. I'll be taking the 2 class from HKG to DXB via a brief stopover in BKK so perhaps it would be worth paying to be in the upper deck seeing as it's an extra long flight. Do you have to stay on the plane while it's in BKK?
Yes upper deck worth it for long return flight. Don't know exact numbers as I'm generally on 77Ws but either around row 55 or around row 70, so about mid-way between the galleys/lavs in the aft-most Y sub-section or the second to back
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
They've put me in 6K for the J upgrade on BHX-DXB subject to no baby on board,
May i ask how did you get this assigned? Ive often tried to request row 6 on the 777 but have always been told it can only be assigned at airport by checkin staff.

Also regarding your few thousand miles shortage, EK are running a 20% discount on purchased miles until the end of Sept, so this may be a cheap option to get the required miles.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
May i ask how did you get this assigned? Ive often tried to request row 6 on the 777 but have always been told it can only be assigned at airport by checkin staff.

Also regarding your few thousand miles shortage, EK are running a 20% discount on purchased miles until the end of Sept, so this may be a cheap option to get the required miles.
Last week I upgraded a flight with miles where there were no available seats in J remaining. Around T-24 I received an e-mail and SMS that "you have been accepted on EKxxx" and was assigned 6A. It seems the EK algo does it when there are no other options
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
If you have already upgraded one leg and the other leg becomes available then do not do the upgrade online .

Miles needed for upgrading XXX---YYY--- ZZZ in one go. is lesser than upgrading each sector individually.

If it becomes available call EK and ask an agent to do it via phone. They should be able be process it as a single upgrade from XXX--- ZZZ
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum

Did you try to change the seat ( after online check) in on the website or the app?

I had the same issue for my flight yesterday. Couldn't do it on the app but was possible to do it on the desktop version of the EK.website..

​​​​​another weird thing is that for a trip from MAN-DXB-DEL return for me and Mrs ukdoctor with a 3 hour stop over at DXB there were 16 cars available for chauffeur drive booking !!

EK was willing to give me chauffeur drive at DXB even during a 3 hr stopover. :-)

We have 8 cars available to book for our trip back to MAN

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 11, 2018 at 5:08 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

The telephone agent just gave it to me when I request an A/K seat as it was the only window seat available, she did explain the baby rule so wasn't guaranteed but better then nothing. This was T-minus 48 hours though.

I was quoted about Ł140 IIRC for about 4000 points which worked out terribly by my points hobby estimates so decided to go with the Amex transfer. I want to upgrade the last leg of the return so I have chauffeur drive back home but I'm wondering if I should gamble by waiting for the 4k or so miles from the outbound to post so that way I could upgrade all the legs.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
The telephone agent just gave it to me when I request an A/K seat as it was the only window seat available, she did explain the baby rule so wasn't guaranteed but better then nothing. This was T-minus 48 hours though.

I was quoted about Ł140 IIRC for about 4000 points which worked out terribly by my points hobby estimates so decided to go with the Amex transfer. I want to upgrade the last leg of the return so I have chauffeur drive back home but I'm wondering if I should gamble by waiting for the 4k or so miles from the outbound to post so that way I could upgrade all the legs.
Ł140 for 4000 seems wrong? In the current sale 4,000 EK miles should cost Ł77.47 which i consider worthwhile if it means you get upgraded on all legs.

If you are waiting on the miles to credit from the outbound, ive always found that they credit extremely quickly. Most times they post the day after the flight lands.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:04 am

Ł140 for 4000 seems wrong? In the current sale 4,000 EK miles should cost Ł77.47 which i consider worthwhile if it means you get upgraded on all legs.

If you are waiting on the miles to credit from the outbound, ive always found that they credit extremely quickly. Most times they post the day after the flight lands.
I've had miles post before I've left the airport on arrival. One aspect of the IT that EK has obviously got right
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Well just completed the outbound and just wanted to say that it was just as well that I didn't upgrade the DXB-BKK leg as ek38 out of BHX was delayed by over an hour.

Just as the plane was getting ready for take off I got a text message notifiying me of the need for operational changes as they believed I would miss the connection. This would be the case if I had checked luggage but I only had carry on and accoring to the pilot ek38 would have arrived just as ek372 announced boarding. Therefore I wanted to contact emirates to ask them not to bump me off ek372 as I needed to get to BKK by the original schedule. Unfortunately the live chat was not working and I had no way to contact them in time before landing.

upon landing at DXB I approached the staff at the arrivals and told them of my predicament. Unfortunately the walkie talkie supervisor decided to intervene without getting the full picture. He radioed to the ek372 gate and checked with them if they had spare seats. He confirmed it would be ok for me to go straight to the gate so off I set off. I made it to the gate as final call was announced but the supervisor at the gate wouldn't let me on board because my name wasn't on the list.

Had walkie talkie supervisor not intervened, I would have gone to the transfer desk and got them to put me back on 372. As it were I ended up arguing with the gate agent for a good 10 minutes as there was no way I had time to go to the transfer desk before that bird flew off.

Anyway I end up on ek370 but that arrived to late for a client meeting so I have to reschedule my whole itenerary potentially pushing everything back by a day.

I purchesed these Y Flex tickets via Amex online travel, with the journey starting off from BHX. Can anyone confirm if I have to pay for each changes or can I make multiple changes and incur just one charge. Also is there grounds for compensation even though I ended up making my way to the destination albeit significantly later?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:32 am

Well just completed the outbound and just wanted to say that it was just as well that I didn't upgrade the DXB-BKK leg as ek38 out of BHX was delayed by over an hour.

Just as the plane was getting ready for take off I got a text message notifiying me of the need for operational changes as they believed I would miss the connection. This would be the case if I had checked luggage but I only had carry on and accoring to the pilot ek38 would have arrived just as ek372 announced boarding. Therefore I wanted to contact emirates to ask them not to bump me off ek372 as I needed to get to BKK by the original schedule. Unfortunately the live chat was not working and I had no way to contact them in time before landing.

upon landing at DXB I approached the staff at the arrivals and told them of my predicament. Unfortunately the walkie talkie supervisor decided to intervene without getting the full picture. He radioed to the ek372 gate and checked with them if they had spare seats. He confirmed it would be ok for me to go straight to the gate so off I set off. I made it to the gate as final call was announced but the supervisor at the gate wouldn't let me on board because my name wasn't on the list.

Had walkie talkie supervisor not intervened, I would have gone to the transfer desk and got them to put me back on 372. As it were I ended up arguing with the gate agent for a good 10 minutes as there was no way I had time to go to the transfer desk before that bird flew off.

Anyway I end up on ek370 but that arrived to late for a client meeting so I have to reschedule my whole itenerary potentially pushing everything back by a day.

I purchesed these Y Flex tickets via Amex online travel, with the journey starting off from BHX. Can anyone confirm if I have to pay for each changes or can I make multiple changes and incur just one charge. Also is there grounds for compensation even though I ended up making my way to the destination albeit significantly later?
Unfortunately with air travel sometimes it's risky to rely on flights being ecavtle on time. BHX is a heavy leisure station and the flight can be a bit of a zoo, based on the one time I've taken it. EC261 applies to this flight as it originated in the EU, you can claim based on delay in BKK even if connecting flight is outside the EU
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:32 am

Also is there grounds for compensation even though I ended up making my way to the destination albeit significantly later?

If the flight numbers you've quoted are correct, it looks like you arrived at your destination 2 hours later than original arrival time. In which case, EC 261 doesn't apply.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
If the flight numbers you've quoted are correct, it looks like you arrived at your destination 2 hours later than original arrival time. In which case, EC 261 doesn't apply.
That is typical, I bet if ek370 left 3 hours later instead of 2 they would have done everything in their power to get me on ek372 to avoid paying any compensation. As it were I've had to push back my BBK-HKG flight by a day, paid the Ł75 change fee. Is there any recourse I m have for claiming that back or am I just going to have to lump it and move on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.