EK203 DXB-JFK Sick Passengers

Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
Any info on what the cause of the illness was? Have an Emirates flight coming up, and the lack of info on this is somewhat concerning.
Why is it concerning? 500 pax, 3 fell sick (rest were crew but ok if we include them let's say 10), so a 2% chance youdyfall sick if every flight had the same incident. Hundreds of Emirates flights have operated without incident since this however.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:03 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Any info on what the cause of the illness was? Have an Emirates flight coming up, and the lack of info on this is somewhat concerning.
Read an article earlier that said CDC & Port authorities deemed nothing more than flu. 19 pax treated and the 100 quoted was nothing more than the worried well.

Sorry cant link the article just now.

Link to report from Reuters https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ne...-idUKKCN1LL1YJ

The airline and the mayors office said 19 people were confirmed ill. Three passengers and seven crew members went to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center in Queens, and nine other passengers medically evaluated at the scene were released afterward, Dubai-based Emirates said.

CDC spokesman Benjamin Haynes later said 11 people were taken to the hospital, and that the nine others confirmed as sick declined further medical care.

The remainder of the passengers were allowed to leave and clear customs, the airline said. All were advised to call a doctor if they developed symptoms later.

Barbot said 106 people initially reported feeling sick during the flight but the vast majority were found to be free of any illness when screened. She said some probably fell into the category of what we call the worried well.
S

Last edited by Saltire74; Sep 8, 2018 at 4:27 am Reason: Added link to news report and quote from article
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:12 am

Thanks! Appreciate the update. Seems it was nothing more than a few people having the flu.

When you live in NYC (and have lived through things like 9/11) and an international flight gets quarantined immediately upon landing... you tend to be on your guard a bit.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Thanks! Appreciate the update. Seems it was nothing more than a few people having the flu.

When you live in NYC (and have lived through things like 9/11) and an international flight gets quarantined immediately upon landing... you tend to be on your guard a bit.
... all the more when the carrier is ME3.
Basic Pavlov reaction, I guess.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: MM, EK, AB/EY, HH, SPG, etc.
Health issues can also pop up well after a flight. Flew on EK85 end of August, and a few days back received an email from the Swiss health authorities. Surprisingly not a word from EK, although the authorities must obviously have received the pax contact details from EK) reporting that passengers with measles had been on board and advising on the symptoms, risk categories and what to do if infected (given the long incubation period for measles, others may have contracted it without yet realizing it yet, a good 2 weeks after the flight). I assume a number of pax must have fallen sick for the health authorities to have sent out their message. Luckily, had my shots as a kid!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.