Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Poor First Class Experience With Emirates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor First Class Experience With Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Seeing your responses to anybody who posts anything critical about BA on the BA forum, forgive me for being a bit sceptical Mr Cruz
You can be cynical all you like, you'll forgive me for being bored of the 17million hilarious digs at Alex Cruz.

​​​
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink
You can be cynical all you like, you'll forgive me for being bored of the 17million hilarious digs at Alex Cruz.

​​​
I think it was a dig at you...
thijsseh likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Seeing your responses to anybody who posts anything critical about BA on the BA forum, forgive me for being a bit sceptical Mr Cruz

​​​
The only people who defend BA (probably the worst mainline carrier, with the worst services) are Brits which I don’t understand? Do they feel like BA is something personal to them?
mpkz likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
The only people who defend BA (probably the worst mainline carrier, with the worst services) are Brits which I don’t understand? Do they feel like BA is something personal to them?
Most don't, but the ones that do get very touchy and uptight about it.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
ive noticed that. Serious question is why do they feel the need to defend such a terrible airline. And why does it get so touchy feely for them? A bad airline is a bad airline.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I think it was a dig at you...
I understood exactly what it was.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I get bored by it. I know FTers who haven't flown BA for years but happily stick the boot in.

My experience of BA is generally good.

I will criticise BA when its necessary: why they can't get priority boarding correct is beyond me, but I've always been incredibly well looked after by them when on board.

But I think we are going off topic 😂
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:30 am

I'm pleased it's not just me disappointed by the oft lauded EK first.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I must say I disagree with the disappointment regarding EK's first. As someone whose rule in picking airlines is above all convenience of routing, I often find myself flying a diverse array of carriers, but when EK offers comparable routings in terms of travel time I am always delighted to fly them.

In Sealink's case, the post seems to imply that they were trying to get from GLA to SYD. The mere fact of being able to fly GLA-DXB-SYD instead of - say - GLA-LHR-SIN-SYN, thus avoiding one extra sector, is precisely why EK can be a great option, thanks to their superb network.

For the sake of the argument:

The worst food I've ever had in the air, and that's including Ryanair BOB. Almost inedible.
I agree that food on EK is bad, but personally I find it to be one step above - for example - BA or LH or TG. There is also generally more variety on EK (see the demise of the bistro items on BA). I can always find one thing on EK that I want to eat; I can't say the same of the three other carriers that I mentioned.

Chauffeur at Sydney asked me to share with two other pax, then got to the car and realised there wasn't enough room for our luggage, despite seeing our cases. And just told me to walk back to the terminal to 'see if I can get another car' then promptly drove off.
Totally unacceptable. Then again: what other airlines are providing chauffeur services these days? Also, in over 30 trips I have never come across an issue with EK's chauffeur drive service, so sadly this seems to be a case of an unlucky experience.

Mums GLA DXB flight downgraded to J with a refund far below the far difference, due to EKs Rouse of using full J fares vs Round Trip F ones to calculate a refund.
I have always found refunds in these instances to be abysmal, regardless of carrier. Also worth considering: are there other airlines flying first class directly to GLA (in other words, was there really an alternative with an equally convenient routing)?

I guess all I am trying to say is that I'd give them another chance. I find their first class product to be far superior that of several other airlines (including BA, which - for full disclosure - I also find pretty good, but one step below EK overall).
Sealink likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I must say I disagree with the disappointment regarding EK's first. As someone whose rule in picking airlines is above all convenience of routing, I often find myself flying a diverse array of carriers, but when EK offers comparable routings in terms of travel time I am always delighted to fly them.

In Sealink's case, the post seems to imply that they were trying to get from GLA to SYD. The mere fact of being able to fly GLA-DXB-SYD instead of - say - GLA-LHR-SIN-SYN, thus avoiding one extra sector, is precisely why EK can be a great option, thanks to their superb network.

For the sake of the argument:

I agree that food on EK is bad, but personally I find it to be one step above - for example - BA or LH or TG. There is also generally more variety on EK (see the demise of the bistro items on BA). I can always find one thing on EK that I want to eat; I can't say the same of the three other carriers that I mentioned.

Totally unacceptable. Then again: what other airlines are providing chauffeur services these days? Also, in over 30 trips I have never come across an issue with EK's chauffeur drive service, so sadly this seems to be a case of an unlucky experience.

I have always found refunds in these instances to be abysmal, regardless of carrier. Also worth considering: are there other airlines flying first class directly to GLA (in other words, was there really an alternative with an equally convenient routing)?

I guess all I am trying to say is that I'd give them another chance. I find their first class product to be far superior that of several other airlines (including BA, which - for full disclosure - I also find pretty good, but one step below EK overall).
In the interests of fairness - there was a lot to like about EK.
The staff were magnificent, to the point where when we travelled back together PER-DXB-GLA, when boarding DXB-GLA the crew already knew my dads favourite whisky, The first class seat was super, and having a shower at 36000ft is one of those 'tick box' things that was very enjoyable.

Reading through the posts I was also reminded of the little things: the toothpastes, toothbrushes etc. provided in the massive bathroom, the J class bar (which was much nicer than the F shelf!)

So yes, I was far too harsh in my initial criticism of EK.
skywardhunter and BadoRas like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by aceboy44
When first class is empty and it takes over 20 minutes (it took around 25 minutes) to prepare my breakfast that is utterly unacceptable. If I was sitting in an empty restaurant and the food took that much time to arrive I would cancel the order and look for another restaurant. EK first class left a bitter taste in my mouth.
I'm not really sure if I even believe that you are a real person (and not someone getting his rocks off by posting nonsense)... but this comment amuses me. Let's play this out:

Let's say you're in a restaurant, and at the 20 minute mark your food is not out yet... you're utterly fed up, you slam your napkin down on the table and announce that your order is cancelled and you're leaving. You get up, walk out the door, and find another restaurant... let's be generous and say that whole process takes about 15 minutes (time you walk out the door until the time you sit down in another restaurant). Then you review their menu and order (takes at least 3 minutes), and then they prepare your food - let's assume it is out in a reasonable time - 15 minutes. So you are already in for at least an extra 35 minutes of waiting (and that's being generous, most likely it will take longer)... what kind of sense does that make? You would rather spend 35 minutes ordering from another restaurant as opposed to waiting an extra 5 minutes for your food to come out? Please explain the logic here....
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:16 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
I'm not really sure if I even believe that you are a real person (and not someone getting his rocks off by posting nonsense)... but this comment amuses me. Let's play this out:

Let's say you're in a restaurant, and at the 20 minute mark your food is not out yet... you're utterly fed up, you slam your napkin down on the table and announce that your order is cancelled and you're leaving. You get up, walk out the door, and find another restaurant... let's be generous and say that whole process takes about 15 minutes (time you walk out the door until the time you sit down in another restaurant). Then you review their menu and order (takes at least 3 minutes), and then they prepare your food - let's assume it is out in a reasonable time - 15 minutes. So you are already in for at least an extra 35 minutes of waiting (and that's being generous, most likely it will take longer)... what kind of sense does that make? You would rather spend 35 minutes ordering from another restaurant as opposed to waiting an extra 5 minutes for your food to come out? Please explain the logic here....
Previous posts by this gentleman suggest that logic may not be his strongest suit.
Silverswimmer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Lived in the UK for 5 years. One thing I found is that the Brits just seem to have lower standards for almost everything than most other Western Europeans. Like the kind of lifestyle that passes for middle class (in the American sense of 25th-90th percentile of household income, not in the British "not royalty but not poor" sense) in Britain would be considered really bad in most other countries. Homes there are expensive and look like ...., lack double glazing, bathrooms have those weird two-tap sinks, transport is terrible and the really annoying thing is when something crap like LHR T5 gets touted as somehow being awesome. Lots of the things would be really easy to fix as well, like making bathrooms in airport lounges that have ceramic tiles instead of whatever that weird blue hospital-looking-thing is, organizing trash pickup in a way that doesn't incentivize people to leave trashbags on sidewalks for days, adding more ticket machines at train stations etc.. Anyway, enough about that rant, don't need to live there any more and luckily don't need to fly BA much at all I miss the restaurants and nightlife/other cultural events in the UK though, that's one thing the UK had going for them..
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
I don't post that often and I happen to like Emirates except for the fact they pulled the A380 from DFW. I find the 2-3-2 business seat configuration inferior to QR and AA.

Last edited by Saltire74; Sep 6, 2018 at 3:24 am Reason: Removal of political reference
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by aceboy44
Oh and did I mention that it's shameful that EK crew serves regular water to passengers in first class while QR serves Evian water in business?
Is OP for real??
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dfwrob
I don't post that often and I happen to like Emirates except for the fact they pulled the A380 from DFW. I find the 2-3-2 business seat configuration inferior to QR and AA.
You should sue

Last edited by Saltire74; Sep 6, 2018 at 3:26 am Reason: Qoute edited to remove political reference

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.