Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The ultimate EK J class experience - you will not believe this :confused:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate EK J class experience - you will not believe this :confused:

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I thought this would be a decent route for the crew, there is a great coffee shop just outside the airport. They do a great reese's milkshake, this alone is worth the flight...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by murtaza12
KBL has had attacks on its airports in the past, and while I'm not sure if this is true or not, apparently a passenger on a FZ flight from DXB-KBL tried to enter the cockpit while threatening the crew with a knife.

PEW has also been attacked, and an aircraft from a local airline was shot at from the ground right before landing, after which EK, EY and QR temporarily suspended flights to PEW.
Those are much more security incidents than safety ones.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Originally Posted by extramileage
Indeed.

At least cabin crew recruiting has been ramped up again with a lot of international open days.

Btw, I believe ULH destinations like US West Coast (15-16h flights) get 48hr layovers, though East Coast (e.g. JFK) gets only 24h. JFK is known to be a brutal work flight.
Most US destinations are 24hrs. As are Australia layovers. It's ridiculous - ask any cabin crew on the planet outside the ME3 to fly anything over 9-10hrs with a 24hr layover and there would be mutiny.... Remember other airlines get much much more rest in-flight.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:18 pm

Eco crew do not work in biz class without being trained to do so (responding to post above)

Last edited by SimpleDXB; Aug 9, 2018 at 3:21 pm Reason: Quick reply doesn't work properly
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
Eco crew do not work in biz class without being trained to do so (responding to post above)
I tend to believe an EK purser (who you were responding to). You've been called out before on stating "facts" that turned out to be false.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I tend to believe an EK purser (who you were responding to). You've been called out before on stating "facts" that turned out to be false.
I suggest your "purser" source re-read the crew manual and service procedure updates

Last edited by Saltire74; Aug 10, 2018 at 11:24 pm Reason: Removal of abusive comment/personal attack in violation of rule12.2
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
What facts were they exactly...?

So much for encouraging diversity of posts again...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
...EK is literally the only airline that deploys crew on ULH routes with barely 24-hour layovers. Cathay for example gives their crew a minimum of 3-days layover on ULR routes. EK gives 24-hours on ULR routes which works out less factoring in transfer times to/from aircraft and hotels.
It's ridiculous - ask any cabin crew on the planet outside the ME3 to fly anything over 9-10hrs with a 24hr layover and there would be mutiny.... Remember other airlines get much much more rest in-flight.
Mate, I agree with your sympathy and stance against cutting crews. But I'm quite intimate with Cathay's rostering, and this information you're posting and doubling down on isn't correct. I will only address that part from the perspective of Cathay and explain some of the basics of CX ULH/LH patterns:

1.) Cabin crew: most Cathay ULH/LH patterns (approx 2/3) utilize a 48 hour layover for cabin crew. Give or take a few hours. The typical pattern would be one of Cathay's myriad HKG-Europe midnight departures, 7am arrival to Europe, ~noon departure 2 days later so approx 53 hours for this situation. Given you'll meet up about 3 hours before flight departure, and you have approx 50 hours of rest between duty. To North America a common timing is depart daytime from HKG, arrive N.A. daytime, depart ~50 hours later arrive Hong Kong evening of the 4th day inclusive. I hope this makes sense.
2.) Cockpit crew: This is slightly more complicated for a few operational and base reasons, but the similar Cathay ULH/LH patterns as #1 above whereby a Hong Kong-based cockpit crew are rostered above utilize a 24 hour layover for cockpit crew. Give or take a few hours. Bottom line is they get shorter rest on ULH/LH than the cabin crew. They are on a completely different contract.
3.) Cabin crew: 24 hour layover patterns exist on Cathay for ULH/LH routes. They are not well-received, but they've existed on Cathay for years and continue to exist today. This occurs most often when Cathay has non-daily flights to destinations, and some days are back to back. Current examples include MAD, BCN, CDG daytime flight, one of the YVR frequencies, the upcoming IAD launch (which will be the longest flight in the CX system), among others. BOS, prior to going daily and nearly as long as IAD previously had a 24 hour pattern. And since the hotel is ~40 minutes from the airport, and you must meet a few hours before the flight the next day, crews were really only getting 18-20 hours of rest on the backs of 16 hour flights. IAD will be similar for one of the patterns.
4.) 3 day patterns are infrequent, they also have to do with non-daily flights, usually when a 3 day break exists before the next flight and also for a few other odd reasons. They do exist....but the bottom line is 3 day resting patterns are very uncommon!
5.) Anything above 3 days is virtually unheard of on CX. There are one or two off situations where it's possible, usually relating to delivery flights or first flights, but that's it.

Lest folks get up in arms about #2 , Cathay rosters 4 pilots on all Europe and N.A. flights. They did a trial to LHR with 3 pilots, offering incentives to pilots who signed up for the program, and decided they couldn't make it work.

Anyhow, I hope this clarifies things. The rest of the world may not be so rosy. Although I bet EK crews do work more overall. I completely sympathize with crew rest and am no fan of hearing crews are getting cut fwiw.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
I suggest your "purser" source re-read the crew manual and service procedure updates
Cool your jets guys. This isn't advancing the discussion. Leave your anger out of this forum
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Saltire74; Aug 11, 2018 at 2:08 am Reason: Removal of part of quoted post that was in contravention of FT Rule 12.2
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:38 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Mod hat on.

A reminder of the rules folks. Keep the discussion civil

Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content

• Link to this topic

12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

Unhelpful posts, such as "Do a search" or those that merely comment on the worthiness of others' posts or threads are neither friendly nor welcoming and will not be allowed. If you can't be helpful or contribute substantive content to a thread, please refrain from posting
  • 12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

FlyerTalk is a diverse, multi-cultural community. Expressions of prejudice or discrimination in any form are not permitted (such as those concerning race, nationality, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc).

If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle. Please also see Rule 22 — When you believe someone has violated the rules.

Saltire74/ Moderator Emirates
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:39 pm

The prime responsibility of cabin crew is safety. As long as all the door positions are crewed, then the flight can depart. If on the day, all GR1 crew reported sick and they had none on standby then schedulers will use the resource pool of first/economy class crew to ensure the flight does not get cancelled. Service training is not a factor. Just ask any first/Business class crew who have been rostered for a full month as economy class crew prior to the current recruitment drive when numbers are down. While it’s certainly easier for the crew to work “down” than “up” it happens a lot more than you might think.
DYKWIA and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum
Sitting in J front seat... unbelievable what is saw

Bi all,

was sitting on a full J Class in row 1 in the 2 class config 773. It was the first time I saw how 4 crew members serving the J Class were running the 3 hours of the flight. Unbelievable! They needed to work very quickly to keep up and get everything done. They didn’t have 1 min break. It was very hectic. Before I had respect for what they do. But now I saw how hard their job really is. Exhausting... so full respect for you all out there.
skywardhunter and AnaTravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.