Search

500 Tier Miles to Renew Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
500 Tier Miles to Renew Gold

Hi everyone

As per the title, anyone know the most effective way of renewing? My renewal date is 31st August 2018 and I dont have any plans this month but do have plans next month to travel with EK.

Whats the best way to get this 500 to renew?

Thank you
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:26 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Hi everyone

As per the title, anyone know the most effective way of renewing? My renewal date is 31st August 2018 and I dont have any plans this month but do have plans next month to travel with EK.

Whats the best way to get this 500 to renew?

Thank you
As far as I am aware, the only way to get tier miles is to fly. Cant buy or transfer them.

There has been talk about EK being a bit lenient when you are very close to the required number of miles and maybe 500 is close enough.
And when I was just short of renewing Silver some time ago, they offered me an extra 2 months to collect those miles (was much more than in your case, over 3000 miles). So there are instances where 'just short' could be sufficient, but they are not 'official'.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
500 is usually close enough for them to be lenient
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: EK - Silver
if you're only 500 miles short, they will renew. I was 900 short for Silver and they renewed no problem.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Thanks everyone, rang Skywards and the guy on the phone couldn't promise anything but has passed it onto the 'relevant team' and they will get in-touch with me.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
if you're only 500 miles short, they will renew. I was 900 short for Silver and they renewed no problem.
I will be 300 short to renew Silver so that's good to hear!
Did you phone them or did they do it automatically?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Does the status still last 2 months beyond the renewal date. I have lost gold status and I am only a blue now as i have not flown EK for a long time , but since renewals were 12 months and status moves were 13 months rolling . ( not sure if this has changed ) I always managed to carry on as gold in the past till the time EK decided to be very generous.

​​​​​​

Ie. even if you do not qualify at the end of 12 months it was not a problem as long as you fly the next month and your 13 month total was above 50k.
You virtually become silver at the 12 month mark till your next flight but that does not happen in real life as status carries on for an extra 2 months anyway.

Sometimes at the time of renewal they just renew if they can see flights that you have booked for the next month. This created problems for me as I had a bunch of flights booked for later on in the year and wanted to lose gold and then move up later on in the year . They ignored the 1100 miles shortfall and kept me as gold. I was not flying for the next 5 months and this meant that I had to re-qualify with miles earned from 7 months and lost gold.

NB: Been away from EK for a whole but starting all over again now. Please cross check my info.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Aug 1, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Does the status still last 2 months beyond the renewal date. I have lost gold status and I am only a blue now as i have not flown EK for a long time , but since renewals were 12 months and status moves were 13 months rolling . ( not sure if this has changed ) I always managed to carry on as gold in the past till the time EK decided to be very generous.

​​​​​​

Ie. even if you do not qualify at the end of 12 months it was not a problem as long as you fly the next month and your 13 month total was above 50k.
You virtually become silver at the 12 month mark till your next flight but that does not happen in real life as status carries on for an extra 2 months anyway.

Sometimes at the time of renewal they just renew if they can see flights that you have booked for the next month. This created problems for me as I had a bunch of flights booked for later on in the year and wanted to lose gold and then move up later on in the year . They ignored the 1100 miles shortfall and kept me as gold. I was not flying for the next 5 months and this meant that I had to re-qualify with miles earned from 7 months and lost gold.

NB: Been away from EK for a whole but starting all over again now. Please cross check my info.
Short version: all still the same as it has been
Matt.Edwards likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: EK - Silver
Originally Posted by daisymay2
I will be 300 short to renew Silver so that's good to hear!
Did you phone them or did they do it automatically?
On the occasion of 900 short, they did it automatically, last year I was around 500 short and they gave me a qualifying extension due to the fact I had a J ticket booked within 30 days. You can call, but as the OP stated, they may not give you an answer via Customer Services.
daisymay2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.