Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage to Dubai Only

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Baggage to Dubai Only

I have a flight tomorrow from DAR to DXB and then 16 ours later to LGW. I want to get my baggage out at DXB so i can repack and pick up stuff i left in DXB. Im worried that they will put my bag all the way through to LGW and not tag it to DXB only. Can i request the bags to go only to go to DXB and then re-check in bags at DXB with my additional baggage? What about weight limits do i get fresh weight limits at DXB?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Peter Halford
I have a flight tomorrow from DAR to DXB and then 16 ours later to LGW. I want to get my baggage out at DXB so i can repack and pick up stuff i left in DXB. Im worried that they will put my bag all the way through to LGW and not tag it to DXB only. Can i request the bags to go only to go to DXB and then re-check in bags at DXB with my additional baggage? What about weight limits do i get fresh weight limits at DXB?
You should be fine with a connection of 16 hours. I've not done it myself, but I've heard of other people who've done that without issue.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
I tried this last month when I was flying out of ARN to BLR. Had a longish stopover in DXB so wanted my bag to be tagged up to DXB only. But the check in agent at ARN said she couldn't do it because of something to do with airport taxes at DXB not being included in my airfare (?).

Anyway, I took out some bare essentials out of my check in bag, got them into my carry on and let her check the bag all the way to my final destination.

For the last leg, I checked in my carry on at DXB and the agent accepted it without any issues, but he did check whether the total weight, including the first bag I checked in, would come in under the allowance.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:36 am

Yes you can ask check-in to not tag your bags all the way to LGW.

My parents had a 22 hour connection between their flight from LHR and then the next one to ISB, so they left the airport when they arrived at DXB so they could collect some things at home and re-pack.

As for the weight limits, I'm not sure about that, ask EK support on Twitter or give them a call.,
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:35 am

You should be fine, just need to ask at check in at DAR. I have done it many times, especially when I was provided Connect by Emirates or wanted a stop over on my own in Dxb.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mannimagus
I tried this last month when I was flying out of ARN to BLR. Had a longish stopover in DXB so wanted my bag to be tagged up to DXB only. But the check in agent at ARN said she couldn't do it because of something to do with airport taxes at DXB not being included in my airfare (?).

Anyway, I took out some bare essentials out of my check in bag, got them into my carry on and let her check the bag all the way to my final destination.

For the last leg, I checked in my carry on at DXB and the agent accepted it without any issues, but he did check whether the total weight, including the first bag I checked in, would come in under the allowance.
they lied to you 😂
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
I have done this many times in Dubai for the same reason on stopovers of a shorter duration than yours. I'm sure there will be no problem. Just make sure that at DAR checkin you specify that you're checking your bags through to DXB only and not your final destination.

Weight limits are determined by the route, your class of travel and your tier level with Emirates.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

The check-in lady was very nice and said she would check my booking as if the connection was too short it wouldn't be allowed, but as it was 16 hours it was fine. Phew! Now anyone know how to get a safe on a plane? is it best to get it wrapped or put in a suitcase?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Now anyone know how to get a safe on a plane? is it best to get it wrapped or put in a suitcase?
Not something many people tend to fly with.

As long as you're within size and particularly weight limits, you can check it in like any other piece of hold luggage. I'd always get it wrapped in layers of cardboard and then plastic.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:15 pm

And hope there isn't a "this was opened by security" note on the inside when you land.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:50 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I am almost certain that the new (2016) 35AED departure tax ex-DXB is automatically applied to all flights, including connections.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Originally Posted by m3red

they lied to you ��
Sure looks like they did. Strike 2 for the ARN EK staff. The previous trip from there in 2017 the check in agent almost tore up my passport (by mistake) while clearing some papers away from her terminal. And now misleading info.

Last edited by mannimagus; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:27 am Reason: Forgot to nclude the quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.