Last minute miles upgrade

Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by S.R

IME each station can only upgrade the flight from that station for a miles upgrade.
So IAH can only upgrade you on the IAH-DXB. For DXB-BKK you’ll need to try at DXB.
My only experience with this is JFK and DXB. DXB they made us wait until check in closed to clear the upgrade in the lounge.
JFK they took the request at check in, and processed them and called my name to pick up new boarding pass in the lounge about 1.5 hrs before departure. Not sure how it’ll work at IAH since they don’t have their own lounge, might be same process though.

btw, has it always been procedure that blue members could upgrade at airport? I thought it was silver and above only?
Only onboard is silver and above. No change

Originally Posted by Tamala Prickett
I think he was talking about online check in (48 hours prior to departure), not the physical checkin at the airport.
no, physical check-in
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the update. Last time we flew Emirates, we offered an upgrade at online checkin. Might have been a coincidence.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tamala Prickett
I think he was talking about online check in (48 hours prior to departure), not the physical checkin at the airport.
It’s not a given you will be able to upgrade at online check in given how many seats I’m guessing you need so you may have to wait until you are at the airport and then if you are in dxb they may not process it until you are at the gate
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:00 am

I only need 2 seats in F out of IAH, because we already booked the other 3 in F. It will be interesting to see if Emirates makes us wait till the gate in IAH. There are only 3 of 14 seats booked in F (our 3 seats). The phone rep seemed to think they would open them up prior to check-in. We can do an OLCI 3 days from now.

The Dubai to IAH flight has a totally empty F cabin right now, but thats another 3 weeks away.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by S.R
I thought it was silver and above only?
To upgrade on-board, you need to be Silver or above. At the airport, I believe anybody can upgrade.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Question

Flying JFK to JNB early August. Am upgraded to F for the second flight but anticipate, if there is space, not getting an upgrade till the last moment. My account has enough miles for the upgrade if given for the whole trip (ie 87,750 from business saver). My DXB - JNB leg 'cost' 46,800 miles. When upgrading on line I've got the total mileage has been correctly recalculated and wonder if this will also be the case if I can't upgrade until the day I fly or whether I'll have to submit more miles for two separate legs.

Last edited by dwugson; Jul 18, 2018 at 12:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
or whether I'll have to submit more miles for two separate legs.
sadly this was the case when i upgraded the second leg at DXB airport.. would have cost less if both flights were available to do upgrade online, but the second leg wasnt available until i arrived in DXB so i had to pay the price as if it were being done as 2 seperate flights.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

If done at the airport or on board it will only be for that leg and the higher mileage required.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Thanks for both your replies. Probably better saving the miles for the return when both flights seem wide open and I can hope to upgrade online before checking in. Still hope it'll come through in advance (looks promising at the moment) however not going to throw away miles!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:46 am

Having similar "issue" flying parents TPE-> DXB -> CDG, have first leg upgraded already from J to F, but would like to upgrade second leg as well (no current availability)
Is there any way to upgrade DXB-> CDG leg during check in at TPE? I am afraid my parents would have difficulty with the upgrading with points process themselves at DXB.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by aqwayne
Having similar "issue" flying parents TPE-> DXB -> CDG, have first leg upgraded already from J to F, but would like to upgrade second leg as well (no current availability)
Is there any way to upgrade DXB-> CDG leg during check in at TPE? I am afraid my parents would have difficulty with the upgrading with points process themselves at DXB.
No unfortunately not. But it's quite simple they can just ask at the lounge or go to the dedicated Skywards desk inside the lounge.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
To upgrade on-board, you need to be Silver or above. At the airport, I believe anybody can upgrade.
While you could upgrade anyone you want online , there used to be a higher requirement for upgrading someone else at the airport .

I think one of our members here (I think it was mrtdxb) was told that he could only upgrade someone else at the airport if you were also travelling on the same flight.

Not sure if the rules are still the same as this was around 2 years ago.

I will try to search for that thread and post.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Found the thread where mrtdxb had issues while trying to upgrade. It is 2.5 years old and therefore please check if rules have changed now..

Using miles to upgrade someone else at airport?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.