Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute miles upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold
Last minute miles upgrade

I'm in DXB lounge awaiting EK5. There's one seat left in F and I want it. They apparently have started a waiting list and once the check-in closes will decide who gets it, based on FF status I'm told. Fingers crossed yet again...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:50 am
Original Poster

I've been onto EK for the past few days, that one seat has remained unsold all the while but they won't release it until last moment. An interesting experience, never had it go to the wire like this before.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jonzboy
I've been onto EK for the past few days, that one seat has remained unsold all the while but they won't release it until last moment. An interesting experience, never had it go to the wire like this before.
very commn on busy flights these days - annoying if you do not have f lounge access and they give you the card at the gate
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
In my experience, it happens when J drops to 5 and F drops to 1.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Well, I managed to score at the end of extra time. Result 4-A, and a nice drop of P2 to celebrate. But M3RED is right, no F lounge even though I surrendered the same number of points, no priority bag, and no S Class on arrival at LHR. Will have to think again before repeating this process.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by jonzboy
Well, I managed to score at the end of extra time. Resuhult 4-A, and a nice drop of P2 to celebrate. But M3RED is right, no F lounge even though I surrendered the same number of points, no priority bag, and no S Class on arrival at LHR. Will have to think again before repeating this process.
yes it’s very common now ex dubai for this to happen even as platinum

s-class transfer isn’t a given though anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:28 am

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. Can blue skywards members upgrade with miles at the gate ? I know that blue cannot onboard, but I was unsure about the gate.

We are waiting on seats to open up on an almost empty F cabin. We fly out on the 23rd, and a representative told me to call back Thursday. However, it sounds like we don't have much chance of EK opening those seats up prior to arriving at the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Tamala Prickett
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. Can blue skywards members upgrade with miles at the gate ? I know that blue cannot onboard, but I was unsure about the gate.

We are waiting on seats to open up on an almost empty F cabin. We fly out on the 23rd, and a representative told me to call back Thursday. However, it sounds like we don't have much chance of EK opening those seats up prior to arriving at the airport.
Yes, you can try at check-in, as well as the gate (you could also try the lounge, assuming you're in J if upgrading to F)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:43 am

Thanks!!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:22 am

do it at check in
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:15 am

Can I upgrade at check-in if a seat is simply open/available ? Do I need to call ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Can I upgrade at check-in if a seat is simply open/available ? Do I need to call ?
Where are you flying from?

if it’s ex dubai they’ll make you wait til,the gate if it’s quite full if it’s anywhere else it’s space available at check in
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

Flying from Houston to Dubai to Bangkok.
then
Bangkok to Dubai to Houston.

All can be done at check-in ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:28 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flying from Houston to Dubai to Bangkok.
then
Bangkok to Dubai to Houston.

All can be done at check-in ?
IME each station can only upgrade the flight from that station for a miles upgrade.
So IAH can only upgrade you on the IAH-DXB. For DXB-BKK you’ll need to try at DXB.
My only experience with this is JFK and DXB. DXB they made us wait until check in closed to clear the upgrade in the lounge.
JFK they took the request at check in, and processed them and called my name to pick up new boarding pass in the lounge about 1.5 hrs before departure. Not sure how it’ll work at IAH since they don’t have their own lounge, might be same process though.

btw, has it always been procedure that blue members could upgrade at airport? I thought it was silver and above only?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:39 pm

I think he was talking about online check in (48 hours prior to departure), not the physical checkin at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.