No more wine bottles in Y.

Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
No more wine bottles in Y.

So I noticed this yesterday on EK229 to Seattle that Y pax are no longer being served red/ white wine in individual bottles any more. Instead, FAs have big bottles of red red and white wine and are pouring them out in plastic glasses and giving out to pax, just like they do for juices. Not sure if this is a one off or here to stay, but I assume this is a recent 'enhancement' as we definitely had bottles in my previous flight ex JFK last month.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
So I noticed this yesterday on EK229 to Seattle that Y pax are no longer being served red/ white wine in individual bottles any more. Instead, FAs have big bottles of red red and white wine and are pouring them out in plastic glasses and giving out to pax, just like they do for juices. Not sure if this is a one off or here to stay, but I assume this is a recent 'enhancement' as we definitely had bottles in my previous flight ex JFK last month.
It's been around about two months and was reported in another thread here (maybe the wine one?), I'm neutral as to whether it's better or worse
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

The serving size is definitely smaller in the plastic glass for one. And of course, there is that whole wine drinking 'experience' thing of pouring wine from a bottle and drinking it. I am sure most pax won't care as long as EK is not charging them for alcoholic beverages, but some like me will.
daisymay2 likes this.

Last edited by jackiedada; Jul 13, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:32 am

The serving size is definitely smaller in the plastic glass for one. And of course, there is that whole wine drinking 'experience' thing of pouring wine from a bottle and drinking it. I am sure most pax won't care as long as EK is not charging them for alcoholic beverages, but some like me will.
I was wondering if pouring from full size bottles might allow EK more flexibility and variety in what they serve in Y and maybe even lead to better quality. Could of course be the opposite, too. Agree that served as a single glass isn't as nice
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:23 am

On my flights last week, the F/A's served wine from the big bottles during meal services but if you requested a glass of wine seperate from the meal service, they still had the small bottles available.
daisymay2 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I was wondering if pouring from full size bottles might allow EK more flexibility and variety in what they serve in Y and maybe even lead to better quality.

I admire your optimism :-/
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I was wondering if pouring from full size bottles might allow EK more flexibility and variety in what they serve in Y and maybe even lead to better quality. Could of course be the opposite, too. Agree that served as a single glass isn't as nice
Red wine or white wine
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Isn't it related to weight ?
Drinking wine in a plastic cup ? Blasphemy !
thijsseh and daisymay2 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Isn't it related to weight ?
Drinking wine in a plastic cup ? Blasphemy !
Always been plastic cups
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Just an observation. Individual wine bottles were offered on EK506 yesterday but not on EK204. My guess is that EK is following a different strategy depending on the route. So, on routes where people do tend to order wine, opening a large wine bottle (and probably a higher quality wine) makes sense due to the high consumption. Whereas in routes to India where women rarely order alcoholic drinks and men tend to stick to Whiskey/ Beer, it makes sense to offer the smaller bottles for the occasional order because opening a large bottle and then dumping most of it before landing doesn't make sense. Purely hypothetical at this point, but my best guess on why EK might be following different strategies for different routes. We will see how it pans out in the next few months.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Just an observation. Individual wine bottles were offered on EK506 yesterday but not on EK204. My guess is that EK is following a different strategy depending on the route. So, on routes where people do tend to order wine, opening a large wine bottle (and probably a higher quality wine) makes sense due to the high consumption. Whereas in routes to India where women rarely order alcoholic drinks and men tend to stick to Whiskey/ Beer, it makes sense to offer the smaller bottles for the occasional order because opening a large bottle and then dumping most of it before landing doesn't make sense. Purely hypothetical at this point, but my best guess on why EK might be following different strategies for different routes. We will see how it pans out in the next few months.
I asked the crew on a recent flight with individual bottles (same flight had large bottles the week before), and one of them told me they're just finishing the stock of individuals... (you never know with EK)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
I may not have seen it, but nobody is speaking of the quality of the new offering in big bottles. I still remember once a Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc on Qatar...if they go big bottles and quality, I'm seduced!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
I may not have seen it, but nobody is speaking of the quality of the new offering in big bottles. I still remember once a Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc on Qatar...if they go big bottles and quality, I'm seduced!
if yonthink thats a quality wine then...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:26 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red

if yonthink thats a quality wine then...
......you are not flying EK F
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
On offer at Tesco at 6.50 !!!
SS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.