FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Do stewardess know if you got a free upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1919017-do-stewardess-know-if-you-got-free-upgrade.html)

zentravelbuddy Jul 9, 2018 12:01 pm

Do stewardess know if you got a free upgrade?

When you book a business class seat either on full price, discounted, miles upgrade or free upgrade do the stewardess on board know if you payed full price or got it for free? Has anyone ever noticed a difference in treatment?

Just wondering.

m3red Jul 9, 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by zentravelbuddy (Post 29954877)
When you book a business class seat either on full price, discounted, miles upgrade or free upgrade do the stewardess on board know if you payed full price or got it for free? Has anyone ever noticed a difference in treatment?

Just wondering.

operational op ups the purser will know, aside from that miles upgrades before they won’t know (they may suspect looking at loads). Treatment isn’t different but I’ve been on the receiving end of being full fare plat in f getting less well treated than passengers who have been upgraded which sucked.

skywardhunter Jul 9, 2018 12:18 pm

Certain types of mainfest printout indicate this, but generally no they can't. As m3red says, the purser can see

SimpleDXB Jul 9, 2018 3:41 pm

Short answer is yes - the crew are aware of who has been op-upped - plus the crew will know via KIS devices etc that you are not eligible to upgrade onboard (either paid or with miles - i.e. you can't be op-upped Y to J then upgrade onboard from J to F).

Miles upgrade (pre-flight) will also show (or they crew will be able to tell you are not on a Rev ticket) as it will show you are not eligible for further upgrade onboard (paid or miles).

Crew will also know (if they choose to look) which kind of a ticket you're on (Flex v Saver etc) as it will again show how many miles / cash you need for onboard upgrade.

Often1 Jul 9, 2018 4:05 pm

There hasn't been a stewardess for 35 years. So, no.

Denizz Jul 10, 2018 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29955948)

You only had stewards on your flights all this time? The EK flights I have been on have been 80%+ stewardesses for me. :P

M.dA.R. Jul 10, 2018 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29955948)

Almost the same time we haven’t had Christmas...

JamesKidd Jul 10, 2018 8:32 am

Is it air-hostess then ? :p

ioto1902 Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am

It's easy to guess when the carry-on baggage flashes a business class tag, and when the pax pass fifteen minutes taking selfies :-) :-)

This said, IMHO, full rev, half rev, cash upgrade or miles upgrade should have the same treatment, as they somehow "paid" for it.

jackiedada Jul 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by zentravelbuddy (Post 29954877)

Just wondering.

They will know. There will be an "Involuntary Upgrade" printed next to your name in the manifest which is sometimes stuck in the galley. The purser always knows on his/ her tablet.
Do they care? Not really. I have never experienced any difference in service when I was op-ed up to when I was a fare paying pax.
Should you care? Absolutely not - just enjoy the service in your upgraded class ;)

thijsseh Jul 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by JamesKidd (Post 29958249)
Is it air-hostess then ? :p

No, they have been called ‘flight attendants’ for quite a long time now.

Descending Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Up until recently Emirates still used the term Senior Flight Steward/ess before changing to Cabin Supervisor.

DYKWIA Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29959761)

Maybe where you live...

Still known as stewards and stewardesses in the UK. Or cabin crew at a push. Never flight attendants.

BadgerBoi Jul 10, 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 29959761)

My most recent Emirates flight (last week) I noticed that the FA's ID tag used the word "Stewardess". I was quite surprised, but there you go.

NoY Jul 10, 2018 9:40 pm

As if “Stewardess" is derogatory for f.... .... :rolleyes: