Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Do stewardess know if you got a free upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do stewardess know if you got a free upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by NoY
As if “Stewardess" is derogatory for f.... ....
LOL - just one of so many terms in aviation that have a naval/maritime origin.
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
Is it air-hostess then ?
Nope - Trolly Dolly! back in those days.
NoY and gforce00 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by jackiedada
They will know. There will be an "Involuntary Upgrade" printed next to your name in the manifest which is sometimes stuck in the galley. The purser always knows on his/ her tablet.
Do they care? Not really. I have never experienced any difference in service when I was op-ed up to when I was a fare paying pax.
Should you care? Absolutely not - just enjoy the service in your upgraded class
they always seem to pin the flight manifest in the galley so you can always see the invol U/G PAX an d where they are seated.

i received an U/G from J to F a couple of years ago from BKK to DXB (me and 14 yr old son ) only for son to then downgraded back to J.. ( this was to enable 3 EK staff who were U/G from Y to J to sit in F and Cabin crew spent a heap of time fussing over these non rev pax..which made me wish I’d not got the U/G)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN

they always seem to pin the flight manifest in the galley so you can always see the invol U/G PAX an d where they are seated.

i received an U/G from J to F a couple of years ago from BKK to DXB (me and 14 yr old son ) only for son to then downgraded back to J.. ( this was to enable 3 EK staff who were U/G from Y to J to sit in F and Cabin crew spent a heap of time fussing over these non rev pax..which made me wish I’d not got the U/G)
That's outrageous.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:03 am

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm working as an FA on a first or business cabin(which BTW I don't work as) why would i go out of my way to memorise where 1 or 2 pax sit, then give them a different service to everyone else i serve? It doesn't make sense. It would be creating extra work for them. Much easier to give a uniform good service to everyone.
I just don't believe they're out to get you.
XXTSGR likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by dsched
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm working as an FA on a first or business cabin(which BTW I don't work as) why would i go out of my way to memorise where 1 or 2 pax sit, then give them a different service to everyone else i serve? It doesn't make sense. It would be creating extra work for them. Much easier to give a uniform good service to everyone.
I just don't believe they're out to get you.
That's assuming the FAs don't actually know the EK staff who were non-rev pax. If they did, there would be a tendency to engage with them more, simply because they know them - a few known faces when most faces are unknown to them.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
I call BS on this. This is not allowed and has never been allowed at EK. If this did happen then all crew (incl. flight deck) associated with this would have been dismissed - and everyone knows that which is why it doesn't happen.

If this did indeed happen (i.e. your son was downgraded), then I suspect your son was downgraded as EK tend not to upgrade those under 18 into the F cabin.

FWIW, staff do travel on (space permitting) upgradeable tickets but it's only Y-J or J-F. Not Y-F. Very limited numbers of EK staff are entitled to F travel (i.e. senior members of staff and Captains). Again - this story is implausible - and mud slinging like this only makes the hard life of crew harder.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
I call BS on this. This is not allowed and has never been allowed at EK. If this did happen then all crew (incl. flight deck) associated with this would have been dismissed - and everyone knows that which is why it doesn't happen.

If this did indeed happen (i.e. your son was downgraded), then I suspect your son was downgraded as EK tend not to upgrade those under 18 into the F cabin.

FWIW, staff do travel on (space permitting) upgradeable tickets but it's only Y-J or J-F. Not Y-F. Very limited numbers of EK staff are entitled to F travel (i.e. senior members of staff and Captains). Again - this story is implausible - and mud slinging like this only makes the hard life of crew harder.
FACT. We were both upgraded in the lounge at BKK and given seats 1B and 1J on a 12 seat 777 with 2-2-2 configuration. My son was then downgraded approx 30 mins before boarding and reason given was a late arrivng/connecting F passenger(i was also offered the chance to take a seat in J with my son but he insisted I keep the upgrade as he just wanted to sleep anyway. My 1J was then changed to 1K and I was seated next to the three said EK staff in 1J 1D 1G. The cabin crew made remarks to the 3 pax about how lucky they were to get from Y to J and then F and asked about there work in DXB..

FWIW even at check in at BKK volunteers were being sought as the flight was heavily oversold

FWIW this was an equipment change as there was no F class on the scheduled aircraft so the connecting/late arriving passenger certainly wasn’t traveling in F class on our flight.

FWIW I am merely responding to a question about what cabin crew know about pax upgrades

FWIW i am not slinging any mud, merely reporting my experience.

FWIW I was EK silver occasional gold for many years and a big fan
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All you know is that there were 3 EK members of staff in the 1st class cabin and that your seat assignment was moved from 1J to 1K

If , as you say, there was no 1st class scheduled on the flight, then there was no downgrade, just a moving of seats within those seats designated as being for business class passengers
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*

FACT. We were both upgraded in the lounge at BKK and given seats 1B and 1J on a 12 seat 777 with 2-2-2 configuration. My son was then downgraded approx 30 mins before boarding and reason given was a late arrivng/connecting F passenger(i was also offered the chance to take a seat in J with my son but he insisted I keep the upgrade as he just wanted to sleep anyway. My 1J was then changed to 1K and I was seated next to the three said EK staff in 1J 1D 1G. The cabin crew made remarks to the 3 pax about how lucky they were to get from Y to J and then F and asked about there work in DXB..

FWIW even at check in at BKK volunteers were being sought as the flight was heavily oversold

FWIW this was an equipment change as there was no F class on the scheduled aircraft so the connecting/late arriving passenger certainly wasn’t traveling in F class on our flight.

FWIW I am merely responding to a question about what cabin crew know about pax upgrades

FWIW i am not slinging any mud, merely reporting my experience.

FWIW I was EK silver occasional gold for many years and a big fan
If staff were flying on staff tickets (i.e. ID tickets) on a "heavily oversold" flight (as you say) then they would be the first to be offloaded - in fact they wouldn't get on the flight at all. Staff tickets are standby tickets and if the flight is full they don't get on (and certainly do not get upgraded from Y to F - this just does not happen at Emirates).

If they did indeed get on the flight then this suggests they were then on REVENUE tickets - or some other CONFIRMED tickets - i.e. they are treated as paying customers like everyone else - so the fact they are EK crew is irrelevant.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
If staff were flying on staff tickets (i.e. ID tickets) on a "heavily oversold" flight (as you say) then they would be the first to be offloaded - in fact they wouldn't get on the flight at all. Staff tickets are standby tickets and if the flight is full they don't get on (and certainly do not get upgraded from Y to F - this just does not happen at Emirates).

If they did indeed get on the flight then this suggests they were then on REVENUE tickets - or some other CONFIRMED tickets - i.e. they are treated as paying customers like everyone else - so the fact they are EK crew is irrelevant.
Could've been annual leave tickets or deadheading crew, though these are confirmed J upgradable to F subject to space, for captains etc, and confirmed y upgradable to J for regular cabin crew and FOs, not sure where such tickets fall in the pecking order for an oversold flight but I'd guess they get the seat before an op-up
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The poster did state "FWIW this was an equipment change as there was no F class on the scheduled aircraft so the connecting/late arriving passenger certainly wasn’t traveling in F class on our flight." , so it reads to me that there was no first class sold on that service, just that there were 1st class seats being used for passengers travelling business class.

In this case, there was not economy to 1st class upgrade for staff members, nor was the poster's son downgraded - he was simply reallocated to another seat within business class
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
There hasn't been a stewardess for 35 years. So, no.
Apparently you've never flown SQ.
Not every country is as PC as the snowflake-infested USA.
DYKWIA, NoY, gpeso8 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.