Search

7hrs in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
7hrs in BKK

Hi All,

I have a 7hrs layover in BKK (between EK376 and EK418), both flights in J. I'm thinking of heading out of the airport then getting back in time for a shower prior to boarding 418.

Is it possible to get an Express Pass for inbound immigration if technically transiting BKK (I'm guessing you just ask)? ... What about the return outbound - I'm thinking we will already have BPs for the 418 issued at BHX (actual itin is BHX-DXB-BKK-SYD-MEL) or DXB and won't need to check-in when arriving back at BKK but would like to avoid security/emmigration queues if possible.

Finally, has anyone done this in the afternoon - what would you recommend to do outside of the airport?

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:16 pm

Most obvious idea would be to get a good, long massage done for cheap (even at decent places, a 2hrs massage will only set you back around 800-1200 THB.

Food / drinks, you'll probably be stuffed anyway already (and will receive further stuffings ) so as great as Thai food is, I personally would pass.

The one thing to notice is that you will be required to pay airport tax when you want to enter landside on your layover (they'll most probably note when you head back airside) - I think it's approx 800 THB, but might have increased.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The one thing to notice is that you will be required to pay airport tax when you want to enter landside on your layover (they'll most probably note when you head back airside) - I think it's approx 800 THB, but might have increased.
Thanks for the heads-up YuropFlyer - hadn't even thought of that.

Regards,

BD
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I am trying to remember if the entry and exit premium Chanel passes are the same and I believe they are so in theory getting two should not be a problem

As far as I know airport tax remains at 800baht

Your best option is to go somewhere connected to the airport express line and not get stuck in Bangkok's traffic especially on way back to the airport or take a punt and wander around Lat Krabang where no problem in getting back to airport
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:50 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Strongly recommend using BFS for Meet & Assist then you can be in and out of the airport in 10 mins flat.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:02 am

To be honest the premium channel at Bangkok has never been a problem for me rarely had to wait more than one or two people in front and I would not bother with the meet and assist (unless they meet you with a buggy and save the long walk from plane to immigration)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:28 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by amnicoll
To be honest the premium channel at Bangkok has never been a problem for me rarely had to wait more than one or two people in front and I would not bother with the meet and assist (unless they meet you with a buggy and save the long walk from plane to immigration)
There is a buggy.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
There's been some public transit problems lately, I'd personally be cautious about relying on public transit until the fix has been in place and proven good for a little while:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...ed-for-weekend
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...ment-installed
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
There is a buggy.
At an extra cost (although they often turn up with one even when not booked - they don't like the long walk either).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
800 THB? I don't remember having to pay when I was there earlier this year. Which type of passengers are subject to this assessment?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
800 THB? I don't remember having to pay when I was there earlier this year. Which type of passengers are subject to this assessment?
If BKK is your departure/final destination, then the 800 THB are automatically priced into your ticket.

If BKK is merely transit, you're not subject to the 800 THB departure/airport fee. However, if you go landside (which you're not supposed to) the fee will be payable.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If BKK is your departure/final destination, then the 800 THB are automatically priced into your ticket.

If BKK is merely transit, you're not subject to the 800 THB departure/airport fee. However, if you go landside (which you're not supposed to) the fee will be payable.
Actually I don't think there is any problem going landside as long as visa/entry requirements are met from an official point of view and you simply have to pay the tax on return. Main thing is you get back to the airport in time
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
Actually I don't think there is any problem going landside as long as visa/entry requirements are met from an official point of view and you simply have to pay the tax on return. Main thing is you get back to the airport in time
There is no problem getting landside at all. BUT, there are enough reviews online about people who went to Bangkok downtown for a few hours on similar layovers, then headed back to the airport relatively tight on time and without the money in hand straight away, where it caused them serious trouble since they first had to organize THB, that I would advise to have the money ready and plan a bit of extra time, too.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:47 am

that why I made the point about getting back to the airport and allowing time to spare although was more thinking about those who don't appreciate what Bangkok traffic can be like at that time of day

fortunately there are plenty of FX bureau ( bad rates at most apart from the ones by the airport express) but I am not sure about ATMs
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses - forewarned is forearmed and the beauty of these types of forums is that we can all learn from those who have gone before.

My journey through BKK is not until September so I'm hopeful any issues with Skytrain will be resolved (and will have not recurred!) - so no traffic issues. Does anyone have experience of Suan Pakkad Palace: worth a visit?

A long walk won't be an issue after being confined on two flights prior to BKK, I am thinking of possibly using BFS for the return to expedite landside to airside.

Once again, thank you all for the great contributions,

Regards,

BD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.