Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stansted Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, did it at the weekend. There is a sign directing EK F/J/status passengers to use the crew lane, which was empty when I arrived and avoided a relatively long queue in the regular immigration lane. EK are using some very nice new check-in desks in a separate area. Fast track security is available for departures and they have the same section of the Escape Lounge at the back reserved for EK customers. Overall it's a pretty good set-up, really, just need EK to decide to invest in a lounge in the empty satellite terminal space. Arriving at STN as an EK customer is actually better than arriving at LHR to me.
That's fantastic to hear - thank you very much for the feedback. I just booked myself on DXB-STN in F so looking forward to a great experience.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
they have the same section of the Escape Lounge at the back reserved for EK customers. Overall it's a pretty good set-up, really.
I flew STN-HKG-STN via DXB the weekend before lockdown in F for a dining engagement. This sounds like the same setup as then.

Frankly I found STN to be a mediocre experience to say the least.

On the outbound, the main Escape lounge area was crammed, and there was a line of hopefuls to navigate past in order to gain entry. There were no loos in the lounge, so I was directed to the main departure area where the loos were reminiscent of a carpark stairwell. The F&B on offer is lacklustre to say the least. I gave up with the lounge after ten minutes, and parked myself up at Not Always Caviar for some, well, caviar: I think I may have been one of the last, I don't think that outlet is operating any more. Having taken the train to the satellite following the boarding announcement, I then found myself sitting around within the general malaise for half an hour waiting to board, but at least boarding was controlled, but I had managed to find a seat very close to the gate area.

On board was fine, I shared the cabin with one other person, who was in 2K. As I was in 1A, I didn't even realise anyone else was in the cabin until we met each other on the throne bus at DXB: he turned out to be an accountancy student whose father was generously repatriating him by way of first class.

On the inbound, having enjoyed the entire cabin to myself on this occasion, almost all of the benefit of getting off the plane first is lost as you fight to get onto the train to the main terminal. I am sure regulars of STN will know where to stand for expedited egress, I did not. Thankfully immigration was quick and finding my driver was simple, although the journey back to home in SW3 was quite a drag compared to a trip from LHR.

FWIW, I didn't find the game changer seat to be that great for sleeping in. I found one of the other of my legs would fall off the side. I prefer the old suites for sleeping TBH.

My final conclusion was that as exclusive and private as the game changer seat is, I prefer the A380 out of LHR over the 777 game changer out of STN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.