Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9 hour layover in DXB

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

9 hour layover in DXB

Flying in J and will shower and eat and walk the mall, but wondering what else exists to help pass the time other than my iPad and the champagne bar. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
At what time are you transiting DXB. Nice as it is, 9 hours is a bit too long to sit in the lounge especially at night .

​​​​​i made the mistake of doing this once at night . Big mistake. :-(
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

This will be from 2300-0900. I may be better off just checking into one of the hotels in the airport.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by Herrick
This will be from 2300-0900. I may be better off just checking into one of the hotels in the airport.
Absolutely. That's the way to go. I once tried to rough it but ended up as a wreck.:-(

​​​​
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that’s what I was wary of.
I’ve never used the airport hotels, will do some research
Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Absolutely. That's the way to go. I once tried to rough it but ended up as a wreck.:-(

​​​​
I "rough" it 2-4 nights a month in EK lounge DXB and still not wreck. IMO it's quite good for that. A lounge is much quieter for that , compared to B/C.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I "rough" it 2-4 nights a month in EK lounge DXB and still not wreck. IMO it's quite good for that. A lounge is much quieter for that , compared to B/C.
Yeah I have done that a few times now. When there is a 7 or 8 hour gap between arriving and departing, there isn't enough time to leave the airport or book into the airport hotel. I find the F lounge is a reasonable alternative for that sort of duration.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
There are many business lounges in Dubai and in my opinion the lounge in terminal 3 which I think is the A lounge (the one upstairs with separate access to the A380 for business and first class) is probably one of the best in the world with a great selection of food. However despite this i would with a long wait still opt for a hotel
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by amnicoll
There are many business lounges in Dubai and in my opinion the lounge in terminal 3 which I think is the A lounge (the one upstairs with separate access to the A380 for business and first class) is probably one of the best in the world with a great selection of food. However despite this i would with a long wait still opt for a hotel
Just a clarification, terminal 3 is more accurate to refer to the landside check-in and arrivals areas, and airside comprises of 3 concourses, A, B and C, which are all considered part of T3 .

The concourse A lounge is the one you refer to and I agree it is probably the best, in terms of space and quietness, though the B lounge has the Champagne Bar, Costa and smoking area (if that's your thing) going for it. Recently I've started minding the B lounge less. The newest C lounge at the far end of C (I think around C8 or so) is also not bad though not as big and with fewer amenities, but the best views of all the lounges with a direct apron view.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Originally Posted by Herrick
Thanks, that’s what I was wary of.
I’ve never used the airport hotels, will do some research
I always use
https://www.dubaiintlhotels.com/
great beds and bathrooms for a good nights sleep-book online for discouts
SS
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:28 am

Only saw the C8 and A lounge. The C one was fine but nothing to write home about but the A lounge was a revelation as I walked around and found each food station seemed to have something different. There is a smoking area also in the lounge and its sheer size made it easy to find somewhere quiet

A word of warning for first time visitors if your flight is leaving from a different part of the terminal from the lounge you chose make sure you know how long it will take to the gate because it can be a very long walk
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:35 am

Only saw the C8 and A lounge. The C one was fine but nothing to write home about but the A lounge was a revelation as I walked around and found each food station seemed to have something different. There is a smoking area also in the lounge and its sheer size made it easy to find somewhere quiet

A word of warning for first time visitors if your flight is leaving from a different part of the terminal from the lounge you chose make sure you know how long it will take to the gate because it can be a very long walk
Try the champagne bar at B next time also Costa is good for a morning coffee in a to-go cup as you head to your flight
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:33 am

When I went through and my flight was from C the lounge/bar in B was full so could not use it.

I am boycotting Costa these days as can not obtain the reassurance I have asked for about the Costa Foundation that funding/guarantees are in place to ensure that teachers and equipment are included in the money being donated to build schools in Columbia

Unfortunately MAS gave me some very good prices for my next two trips to Asia so much as I enjoyed the Emirates experience (my first I should add) then no short term plans to fly with them again
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:16 am

Thumbs up

I am boycotting Costa these days...
^^ I'm all for boycotting a company that thinks it's ok to charge £3+ for a coffee (I know your reasons are different, but still I'm happy one more person is boycotting a coffee chain)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
^^ I'm all for boycotting a company that thinks it's ok to charge £3+ for a coffee (I know your reasons are different, but still I'm happy one more person is boycotting a coffee chain)
Absolutely, but it's free in the lounge. Not a fan of their coffee by any stretch but it beats the automated machines and they have to-go cups and can make a flat white. These chain establishments suck in general, never understood the appeal of Starbucks for instance
thijsseh and ps107 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.