Economy pre-meal drinks service

Old Jun 24, 18, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Economy pre-meal drinks service

Hello all,

Just took a return itinerary from DXB-MRU in economy. I noticed that on both legs, there was no pre-meal drinks service. Instead, drinks were served with the meal tray, with a follow-up drinks round while still eating.

Is this a change of procedure? In the past, I have generally experienced a drinks round before the meal, with some snacks offered. I can see the benefits to both approaches, although I generally enjoy a drink offered before eating.

Not a complaint as such - as always, EK cabin crew very pleased to offer drinks whenever requested.

Edit - just to make clear that both flights were very much during the day - 10.30am and 4.30pm respectively - so not the case of a rush to serve dinner and then lights out.

Thanks,

Last edited by jeh86; Jun 24, 18 at 5:16 am Reason: To provide extra information
Old Jun 24, 18, 5:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This has been the standard procedure for ages. Bit of a mixed bag, I sometimes want my drink first but then am annoyed when I've finished it before the meal arrives, but then generally I find EK Y service to be very slow, as I'm a fast eater. I finish my entire tray usually when they're still serving two rows behind me
Old Jun 24, 18, 6:18 am
Original Poster

My mind must be playing tricks on me - I thought I had received a pack of pretzels fairly recently...!

Another thing I noticed - and I am almost 100% sure this is a recent change - is that the wine miniature has been replaced by a (very generous) pour from an open bottle. The miniatures were of variable quality, but I had enjoyed a very decent old vines shiraz from Berry Bros of late.
Old Jun 24, 18, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by jeh86 View Post
My mind must be playing tricks on me - I thought I had received a pack of pretzels fairly recently...!

Another thing I noticed - and I am almost 100% sure this is a recent change - is that the wine miniature has been replaced by a (very generous) pour from an open bottle. The miniatures were of variable quality, but I had enjoyed a very decent old vines shiraz from Berry Bros of late.
Yes correct this is a change in the past month or so, I'm not sure I'm a fan as it seems to have resulted in a reduction of selection to 1 white and 1 red Vs 2 of each before.

Another change about a year ago which no one seems to have noticed but me (I've asked) is that the hot meal is now served on the left corner of the tray instead of the right, which is annoying for right handed people (majority) and I always have to switch it around. Even crew didn't notice it and couldn't tell me when or why it happened.
Old Jun 24, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Skywards silver Virgin Enrich Flying Blue Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
My last trip to Mauritius mid April we went out in Economy on the MAN-DXB leg but the rest were all in business and they were still serving the usual small bottles in economy.

Agree with skywardhunter, much preferred the small bottles.
Old Jun 24, 18, 12:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by daisymay2 View Post
My last trip to Mauritius mid April we went out in Economy on the MAN-DXB leg but the rest were all in business and they were still serving the usual small bottles in economy.

Agree with skywardhunter, much preferred the small bottles.
Is it because of the concern that passengers will carry it with them instead of drinking it ?
Not sure it it was in EK but on some airlines they used to remove the bottle caps of the miniature bottles before serving the wine.

EK has always been one of the most liberal airlines in the case of alcohol even in Y .

​​​​​​Some airlines insist that they will only serve one drink at a time . On most EK Y flights , I have seen passengers being served both wine and spirits at the same time.

Not sure if things are still the same.
Old Jun 24, 18, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Is it because of the concern that passengers will carry it with them instead of drinking it ?
Not sure it it was in EK but on some airlines they used to remove the bottle caps of the miniature bottles before serving the wine.

EK has always been one of the most liberal airlines in the case of alcohol even in Y .

​​​​​​Some airlines insist that they will only serve one drink at a time . On most EK Y flights , I have seen passengers being served both wine and spirits at the same time.

Not sure if things are still the same.
I am often offered (and see the same being offered to others) multiple of a drink, so they don't need to come back and serve more, e.g. two beers at a time, two or even three miniatures or two bottles (when they still had the minis) of wine. This is still the case, and they usually open it but when they serve multiples they don't always open all of them
ukdoctor, daisymay2 and thijsseh like this.
Old Jun 25, 18, 12:34 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I am often offered (and see the same being offered to others) multiple of a drink, so they don't need to come back and serve more, e.g. two beers at a time, two or even three miniatures or two bottles (when they still had the minis) of wine. This is still the case, and they usually open it but when they serve multiples they don't always open all of them
In the old days when I was still flying Y on SAA (must have been a long time ago.....), I was once left the big bottle so that I could top up my and my travel companion’s glass myself.
I guess that might not be EK’s policy now......
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Jun 25, 18, 12:58 am

Programs: EK platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Yes correct this is a change in the past month or so, I'm not sure I'm a fan as it seems to have resulted in a reduction of selection to 1 white and 1 red Vs 2 of each before.

Another change about a year ago which no one seems to have noticed but me (I've asked) is that the hot meal is now served on the left corner of the tray instead of the right, which is annoying for right handed people (majority) and I always have to switch it around. Even crew didn't notice it and couldn't tell me when or why it happened.
Turn the tray around by 180 deg. and rearrange if necessary?
Old Jun 25, 18, 1:00 am

I'm left handed, so for once I might be lucky having that affliction!
Old Jun 25, 18, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by EKplat View Post
Turn the tray around by 180 deg. and rearrange if necessary?
Now I'd have starter and dessert in front of me, main behind them, tea cup and water front left and the bread roll in the far corner, easier to just switch roll and hot meal without moving the tray. It's a definite change in setup
Old Jun 25, 18, 1:57 am

I know.....become ambidextrous! Most left handers have to be to some extent. As there are only around 14% of us in the population, we are rarely catered for and learn to adapt. Try using normal scissors with your left hand. I have always used them with my right hand.

Anyway, those little changes can be annoying, but we adapt. FWP really.
Old Jun 25, 18, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by EKplat View Post
I know.....become ambidextrous! Most left handers have to be to some extent. As there are only around 14% of us in the population, we are rarely catered for and learn to adapt. Try using normal scissors with your left hand. I have always used them with my right hand.

Anyway, those little changes can be annoying, but we adapt. FWP really.
I'm afraid my dinner would end up on my neighbour's lap the first 20 atttempts
Old Jun 25, 18, 2:01 am

Did I say "normal" to describe objects that function in the right hand?? May I be forgiven by all my fellow lefties out there
Old Jul 1, 18, 3:51 pm

Programs: EK Silver, BA Blue, MH Blue
On the subject of drinks and changes, after not having taken an EK flight for half a year, the post-meal coffee/tea round in Y last week was done from a trolley and using takeaway-style cardboard cups, rather than being poured into the little plastic cups that come on the meal tray itself. (Although this happened only on one of two legs - this was on a 777, but not on an A380).

I very much welcome this if it is a general new thing - allows for a decent amount of coffee (or its close approximation) to be consumed rather than the three gulps or so that the plastic cups allowed, and might even be a bit safer as the cardboard cups are taller and hot liquids are less likely to slosh out of the cup in the event of any bumps or turbulence.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: