Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Cost of overweight carry-on in Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of overweight carry-on in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: EK Platinum
Originally Posted by anFelipe
EK staff are often waiting right before the immigration to weigh the carry-ons. Sometimes they weigh and sometimes they don't, but assuming they will want me to pay to check the bag, how does that work?
If you are a Skywards Silver, Gold or Plat you can use the Business class check-in area. There is nobody weighting any luggage before immigration. Only in the Y-Class Zone.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards/Skymiles/SAA Voyager
Just an update. I tried to check my bags all the way through from DSS to my final destination but the person at the check-in counter in DSS couldn't figure out how to do it. So we decided to take skywardhunter's option 1 and just check them to Dubai and recheck them there. We left ourselves some weight in the bags and were able to add what we wanted in Dubai and still be under our allowance. As expected, the people at the check-in counter in Dubai were able to check them all the way through to our final destination without a problem. Just for good measure I did what AndreaSwil suggested and used the Business class check-in area. It was nice to see that indeed bags were not being weighed on that side. That is good to know for the next time I am in that situation (assuming I still qualify for Gold). When I have longer layover I like to go to the Dubai Mall and browse for interesting books at Kinokuniya bookstore, and they quickly add weight to my already full carry-ons. Next time I won't be as worried about their weight as I have been in the past.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.