Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded but Confused

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold
Downgraded but Confused

Anyone know why I have been downgraded from first to biz? Seems odd as I am still on an A380. Also what compensation can I expect?
Thanks

Last edited by chelseastu; Feb 13, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Might be a swap to a 2 class aircraft. This aircraft type is pretty usual on the BKK route
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kq747
Might be a swap to a 2 class aircraft. This aircraft type is pretty usual on the BKK route
I can understand that but it clearly says A380-800 which as I understand it are all 3 class aircraft.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
No, there are many two-class A380s now, in fact most recent deliveries are two-class, and especially the BKK route sees these swapped in frequently.

You can ask to be switched to another flight with three-class service if there is one that works for you (possible switching your initial flight, too), or you will receive the fare difference back, in the way EK calculates it, which is probably going to be much less than you'd like
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Well I learnt something new today. So am I in my right to get a full refund and book with someone else
gametitans likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu
Thanks. Well I learnt something new today. So am I in my right to get a full refund and book with someone else
I'm not sure EK will agree to that, they will refund you the fare difference or they will rebook you another flight that has F. But I think there is probably a decent chance you'll be able to get a full refund, yes. Why not just rebook on one of the many other EK flights our of BKK, many are two-class but one or two will still have F.

(Just had a look on EF and the only flight that day with F is EK419 which departs at 3:30am and is a 77W, you'd have a 4 hour connection to EK31 to LHR which is obviously still an A380)

The flight on the 28th (same flights) still has F (and A380), the day before (26th) also has F, both have availability.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mr. Skywardhunter. I chose the initial flight because I need to get back into the office but I might take the 3.30am flight if necessary. In all the years I have been flying with Emirates this has never happened to me. I suppose I've just been lucky.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:37 pm

Thanks Mr. Skywardhunter. I chose the initial flight because I need to get back into the office but I might take the 3.30am flight if necessary. In all the years I have been flying with Emirates this has never happened to me. I suppose I've just been lucky.
Most of the time EK is a relatively safe airline in regards to schedule changes, unfortunately some routes are a little riskier, and BKK especially has become quite prone to it, primarily because it is a very leisure-heavy route, so Y is often overbooked. The 2-class A380 replaces the F cabin with an additional Y cabin which adds a lot of additional seats, which is generally the reason for the swap. LHR for example is not prone to such swaps at all due to high premium demand for F.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:03 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Happened to me 3 times last year either a downgrade or equipment stop. April is when the runway works are happening so EK will want to maximise flight loads due to drop in frequency.

You can get a full refund if you want, free date change or accept and fly as is. Note that as mentioned, you will not get the real fare difference but a measly amount of couple hundred bucks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Zol
Happened to me 3 times last year either a downgrade or equipment stop. April is when the runway works are happening so EK will want to maximise flight loads due to drop in frequency.

You can get a full refund if you want, free date change or accept and fly as is. Note that as mentioned, you will not get the real fare difference but a measly amount of couple hundred bucks.
If you take the downgrade they’ll put you in the highest j fare and you won’t get anything back (I got 300 aed from a phukhet flight when then difference was 6k)

my advice is to move to a flight with F that works - luckily for you there are a few options
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.I'm going to take the 03.30am aircraft I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.