Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skywards or TAP?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Skywards or TAP?

Hello all, I bought a cheap ticket out of CAI, all legs in EK first class . I would get 50,000 Skywards with that booking... but since the redemptions are rather useless, I would prefer putting all the miles to TAP. But before I screw up I need to be sure with the booking class (which is not clearly shown).

Fare calculation
CAI EK DXB EK ADL1775.54AEAPPTN1 /-SYD EK BKK//SINEK X/DXB EK CAI1775.55AEAPPTN1 NUC3551. END ROE2.42742

Is this correct? Can you confirm that this is a A booking class which will give me 300% on TAP? If it is really 300% I will opt for TAP.

Thanks a lot. I really want to avoid bad surprises....
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Where are you based?

Do you have an existing mileage balance with TP? Are you aware of what how the TP award system works and if those miles would be useable?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tortellini
....is a A booking class which will give me 300% on TAP? If it is really 300% I will opt for TAP..
Frequent flyer miles are not (always) equal to earn or burn between ffp’s. They are not (always) 1:1.
10,000 frequent flyer miles in 1 ffp may get you a longer award flight than 15,000 frequent flyer miles in another ffp.

What ffp's are you a member of now?
https://www.wheretocredit.com/ek/a

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
In F i believe there are only two revenue fare buckets if I'm not mistaken: F and A. Then Z is for awards and upgrades.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
In F i believe there are only two revenue fare buckets if I'm not mistaken: F and A. Then Z is for awards and upgrades.
You are correct as far as fare buckets are concerned, but the anomaly is that there are three fares: Flex+, Flex and Saver. Saver almost seems like a ‘hidden’ fare. For instance when you look at the mileage calculator on the website it is not shown at all, yet (from experience) it earns the same miles as Flex. It books into ‘A’. I don’t know if there are therefore 2 F bucket ‘levels’ or 2 A bucket ‘levels’. All quite strange and unusual: in J and Y there are more buckets than ‘fare types’.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh

You are correct as far as fare buckets are concerned, but the anomaly is that there are three fares: Flex+, Flex and Saver. Saver almost seems like a ‘hidden’ fare. For instance when you look at the mileage calculator on the website it is not shown at all, yet (from experience) it earns the same miles as Flex. It books into ‘A’. I don’t know if there are therefore 2 F bucket ‘levels’ or 2 A bucket ‘levels’. All quite strange and unusual: in J and Y there are more buckets than ‘fare types’.
Yes but that's pretty much itreleirrewhen talking about partner earning I believe as they look purely at fare bucket. As such if it was a "cheap" ticket it's almost certainly an A fare.

300% means 300% of the great circle distance, rather than EK's region based chart which is close to the great circle distance but not exact.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:21 am

If my calculations are right you'd earn around 29k miles on TP
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Unless you are based in Portugal and have the misfortune of having to fly TAP regularly, I would not bank miles in Victoria. It is not a particularly good FFP - the fact that it does not have a dedicated forum on FT shows that it is not very appealing.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:26 am

It is an "A" class booking but it's not from the letter you highlighted but the preceding "A". The fourth letter from the right "P" shows it to be a Saver booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.