Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Renewal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Platinum Renewal

My platinum has just renews for another year and i was directed to the website with some links in the email I received and I noticed
  • Free lounge access for you and your guests in all Emirates Business Class lounges in Dubai and worldwide
I am sure this used to say First Lounge in Dubai and I went to https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...-benefits.aspx
and this seems to be totally different.

In fact when you drill into it, it now states
Platinum members enjoy complimentary access for themselves, one adult guest and two guests* under the age of 17 at any Emirates Lounge in Dubai and at lounges throughout the Emirates network.

If First Lounge in Dubai is gone then there is little point in gaining EK Platinum any more.

When you think the following have gone
- priority baggage
- rewards flights from the UK are near invisible
- massive airline charges on redemptions
- opening doors has gone and the other similar program which was due to be replaced...
- the annual free gift......now gone
- special member offers and travel packages by tier has so far been elusive

I am kind of at that point where Emirates offers very little else to other airlines, the product with a good FFP was always worth considering but i am truly out of love with it all now after 18 years of flying with them.
Not saying everything is bad, but I just feel that i get slapped with downgrades on their FFP all the time.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, SAA Voyager blue!
I wonder if that is a typo? In my email (also received today) it states:

"Check in at our First Class counters and relax with a guest in our First Class Lounge in Dubai and lounges worldwide."

Another 'benefit':

Stay up to date with your complimentary digital membership of The Wall Street Journal, valid until 30 Apr 2018.

Seems the proof reader is on holiday.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Seaforth
I wonder if that is a typo? In my email (also received today) it states:

Stay up to date with your complimentary digital membership of The Wall Street Journal, valid until 30 Apr 2018.

Seems the proof reader is on holiday.
I haveStay up to date with your complimentary digital membership of The Wall Street Journal, valid until 31 May 2018.
There is also no mention of lounges on the email but it says Explore other Platinum ........ and I clicked where I found the wording has suddenly changed.

I have never used this benefit, so no idea where the date came from , but I would love something useful.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, SAA Voyager blue!
I agree not many real benefits to Platinum over gold. Extra miles which are hard to spend. But the Gold Partner Nomination is much appreciated by my nominee !

Under 'Memebership Benefits' on the EK website it (currently) shows:
Platinum members enjoy complimentary access for themselves, one adult guest and two guests* under the age of 17 at any Emirates Lounge in Dubai and at lounges throughout the Emirates network.

I will check back on that page to see if the wording changes.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Seat54
any Emirates Lounge in Dubai
There's really nothing newsworthy here. It's pretty explicit that you can still use the F lounge. (Bolding mine)
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
There's really nothing newsworthy here. It's pretty explicit that you can still use the F lounge. (Bolding mine)
It is more about the subtle change of wording in some places.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:31 am

It is more about the subtle change of wording in some places.
We've had queries before where F pax have asked whether they can also use the J lounge. Perhaps EK was getting a lot of such queries so they're adjusting the wording in reapores. We might also just be reading too much into it.

While a devaluation may come in terms of earn and burn I doubt they'd take away from lounge for plats.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: EK Plat
Used F lounge this morning as Plat traveling J. So no change.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
...I am kind of at that point where Emirates offers very little else to other airlines, the product with a good FFP was always worth considering but i am truly out of love with it all now after 18 years of flying with them.
Not saying everything is bad, but I just feel that i get slapped with downgrades on their FFP all the time.
19 years for me and I definitely feel the same.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by EKplat
19 years for me and I definitely feel the same.
What's annoying to me is that EK definitely has the best route network and schedule for me, independent of FFP consideration. Yet one gets caught up on the FFP and feels like one is choosing EK because of the status when other airlines might be cheaper but often also inferior in terms of timing. The other two ME3 carriers generally have a super long transit in one direction for me, and just 1 daily flight to my regular airports. It's silly because objectively not even considering the FFP EK makes sense even for a bit extra, but because the status renewal hangs over my head I also feel kind of jailed to EK. The opportunity cost to try an alternative seems quite high
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
What's annoying to me is that EK definitely has the best route network and schedule for me, independent of FFP consideration. Yet one gets caught up on the FFP and feels like one is choosing EK because of the status when other airlines might be cheaper but often also inferior in terms of timing. The other two ME3 carriers generally have a super long transit in one direction for me, and just 1 daily flight to my regular airports. It's silly because objectively not even considering the FFP EK makes sense even for a bit extra, but because the status renewal hangs over my head I also feel kind of jailed to EK. The opportunity cost to try an alternative seems quite high
Yes, I think that's exactly the trap, and it's why so many of us hang on. Better the devil we know.....
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
The longer we are part of FFPs, the more likely we are to see changes. But then again, we might see some enhancements or maybe even discover benefits that we didn't know that status provided us. Swings and roundabouts.

Even from Australia, EK makes most sense for me because the other 2 ME3 have long stopovers and actually just not as comfortable...older frames, things that irritate me in their soft product etc. If I was based near LHR in my UK dealings, I'd seriously consider switching to QF (via SIN, no way am I keen for their new PER-LHR route). Also, EK fly directly to DUB, GLA, MAN etc. Much more convenient.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
I have made Platinum most years, but not all as it has no influence on my selection of EK. Drivers for me are schedule and price, not EK FFP, since I regard the extra benefits immaterial over Gold, and absurd given that you need 3x the miles: only practical perk in my case is using F lounges DXB when flying C, and that most certainly doesn‘t impact my choice of carrier...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wtravel
I have made Platinum most years, but not all as it has no influence on my selection of EK. Drivers for me are schedule and price, not EK FFP, since I regard the extra benefits immaterial over Gold, and absurd given that you need 3x the miles: only practical perk in my case is using F lounges DXB when flying C, and that most certainly doesn‘t impact my choice of carrier...
Take that back right now Mr Wtravel, EK's F lounge is amongst the best!

- Fellow only J/C traveller availing the same benefit.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by EYrevanchist
Take that back right now Mr Wtravel, EK's F lounge is amongst the best!

- Fellow only J/C traveller availing the same benefit.
yes it’s nice but is it worth 3 x gold? Cheaper to pay the $105 each time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.