Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK confirms launch of Premium Economy in 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK confirms launch of Premium Economy in 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by stargold
EK1/2 also has PE currently.

The list of routes/flights seem to have shifted a lot - does anyone have access to an updated list by any chance?
Yes noticed this, got 4 flights coming up and was pleasantly surprised. In PE for all of them.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:34 pm

EK1/2 also has PE currently.

The list of routes/flights seem to have shifted a lot - does anyone have access to an updated list by any chance?
Apologies, I've been slacking on the job...

From April 1st through June 30th:
LHR EK1
LHR EK3
CDG EK75
JFK EK201

From July 1st:
SYD 412 will replace JFK EK201

There's always the chance that this plan changes. The route that sees the most often 'upgrade' to a premium economy A380 is IST EK123. Usually these are confirmed just a few days in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:21 am

Thanks very much, CaptainEKAirbus. Hopefully they will be retrofitted to existing a/c soon too.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
Why is EK not strting to upgrade existing aircraft with PE? Weren't there also plans to bring PE to part of the 77W's including a new 1-2-1 Business Class and possibly Game Changer F?
Old May 1, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Based on the current schedule, EK201/202 has premium economy scheduled consistently through to at least March 27th.
Following up on this. EK 201/202 from JFK-DXB & DXB-JFK does not show PE seating option anymore for July. So has EK removed the PE flights from JFK ?
Old May 2, 2022, 4:29 am
Krz

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by LXA350
Why is EK not strting to upgrade existing aircraft with PE? Weren't there also plans to bring PE to part of the 77W's including a new 1-2-1 Business Class and possibly Game Changer F?
I'm not the fan of this direction of changes. What I would like is creating cheaper cabin with flat or almost flat beds. Currently it looks like 1-2-1 Business Class which could be even more expensive then now (while Emirates already has expensive business class product) and PE also without something like angled flat beds (so useless).
On positive note Economy class is still good product, with usually good prices.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by LXA350
Easy answer is that the owner had to inject 2 billion USD in the other year, and unlike regional neighbours, they aren’t made of money, so it may be that the view of “cut costs, no investment for later” is dominant now, which would be sad but understandable.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by deltheking
Following up on this. EK 201/202 from JFK-DXB & DXB-JFK does not show PE seating option anymore for July. So has EK removed the PE flights from JFK ?
Correct, those planes will be allocated to SYD EK412 from July 1 onwards.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:35 pm

Hi everyone. I'm booked in economy on EK201 from DXB to JFK on 13 June. I can see from the seat map that there is a premium economy cabin. When I booked my ticket, there was no option to book premium economy and there doesn't seem to be an option to upgrade to PE. So - who gets these PE seats?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by rbbjhb
Hi everyone. I'm booked in economy on EK201 from DXB to JFK on 13 June. I can see from the seat map that there is a premium economy cabin. When I booked my ticket, there was no option to book premium economy and there doesn't seem to be an option to upgrade to PE. So - who gets these PE seats?
For flights departing until 31 July 2022 (i.e. in your case), you can pay extra to assign a seat in PE - just go to Manage My Booking -> Seat Selection. However, for flights departing 1 August 2022 or later, you need to actually book a ticket in Premium Economy (or upgrade an existing ticket into Premium Economy)

Speaking of tickets in Premium Economy, today is the go-live date for PE fares. It seems that EK has designated the W and E classes to PE.

Based on a small sample, it's not going to be a cheap product - they have only filed two fares for DXB-LHR, and the cheaper of the two works out ~7000AED (USD 1900) roundtrip, which is a lot more than BA's 4500AED, and not that far off a J ticket on AF. To fly PE to SYD, the lowest fare is 12000AED (USD 3300).

So if you've been curious to try the PE product, I recommend that you try to do so before these fares kick in on 1 August - until then, you can pay e.g. 1000AED to LHR (or 1500AED ex-LHR due to APD) to pick a PE seat from any Y ticket, including redemptions.

Award seats are not offered yet in PE so it's not clear how many miles will be required.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:38 pm

For flights departing until 31 July 2022 (i.e. in your case), you can pay extra to assign a seat in PE - just go to Manage My Booking -> Seat Selection. However, for flights departing 1 August 2022 or later, you need to actually book a ticket in Premium Economy (or upgrade an existing ticket into Premium Economy)
Hmmmm, I don't get the option to pay for these seats. They're just greyed out completely. Could this have something to do with the fact that I didn't book directly with Emirates, but used a third-party booking site? If I select "upgrade with cash" on the booking, I get: "Sorry, this ticket has been issued by a travel agency and cannot be changed online before you start your travel. Please contact your travel agency.
[ErrorCode: 66169524]".

I wonder what they'll do with seat allocation on the day if some PE seats have not been bought. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:01 pm

224% more for a premium economy seat? no thanks
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:27 am
Krz

Indeed paying for PE similar to J in another airline would be stupid.
Now, I hope that Emirates is not going to do:
1. reduce quality of service in economy (to make people to buy PE)
2. increase fares in business to force some people to buy PE instead (and then it would be easier to create 1-2-1 layout in business...)
3. eliminate first??

after such changes we would have:
a. economy more in-line with other, cheaper, airlines
b. premium economy will be old business class (when business class was without beds).
c. business class will be old first class.

I hope Emirates will not go this way...

Last edited by Krz; Jun 4, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:33 am
Krz

Originally Posted by rbbjhb
I wonder what they'll do with seat allocation on the day if some PE seats have not been bought. Any thoughts?
Standard upgrade policy?
So actually it is based on fare paid? So people who paid for Flex Plus in economy would get upgrade. Maybe people with high Skywards status also.

I assume that if there is PE then upgrade to business is from PE.
This is another reason I do NOT like PE and actually it could be sometimes better to fly airlines which do not have PE.

Also, could it be that maintaining four class product is more expensive, so tickets in all classes must be more expensive if airline has PE?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Krz
Standard upgrade policy?
Maybe people with high Skywards status also.
As a plat, I can select a PE seat regardless of economy seat purchased (this may soon be about to change). Having tried different seats on 4 occasions I now stick to economy over this product unless the two seats I want in economy are already taken.

In my experience, LHR outbound and inbound PE is always full - a combination of Status pax, paid pax and 'op-ups' from economy. I had high hopes for this product but sadly it isn't great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.