FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates' reconfigured 777-200LR is awesome (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1911824-emirates-reconfigured-777-200lr-awesome.html)

BabyBearNewYork May 30, 2018 11:06 am

Emirates' reconfigured 777-200LR is awesome

We just completed a multi city itinerary - BOM/DXB/ZAG and MUC/DXB/BOM in J. Two of the four legs were on the A380. However, the flight we enjoyed the most was DXB-ZAG which was on the reconfigured 777-200LR. I'll highlight what we liked:

1) J has got a 2-2-2 config which is super spacious. The aisles felt much broader than on the A380 and one design decision they have made is to take out the overhead bins in the middle section. In fairness, Emirates has nicely designed bins and they don't feel intrusive on the A380, but taking them out here just made the cabin feel very airy and spacious. You just had the sensation of space all around you. By comparison, the A380 felt more coffin-ey. I do wonder though if the lack of middle overhead space might be an issue when J is full. Our flight had only 40% seats taken in J, so it wasn't a problem, clearly.

2) The new seats are AWESOME! They are nice and broad at about 22.5 inches, and it's funny that just a few inches should so greatly add to your comfort. The seats are firm and nicely padded and the new diamond quilt stitching is very good looking. On the A380, I have always felt the seats are good if you are a back sleeper and don't move much, but if you're a side/tummy sleeper who turns a lot, these seats are perfect. I honestly slept the best on this flight that I can remember. The screens are massive and sharper than the A380. The wood veneer used is darker than the blond wood veneer on the A380 and looks very classy.

3) These seats are the best for families. In previous Emirates flights, I was flying solo and I guess I had appreciated the privacy on the A380. But when you're with your family, it's hard. On the first A380 flight, my mom and I had single seats behind each other and it was impossible to communicate without one of us getting up. On the second A380 leg, we switched to one of the middle 2's, but didnt find it much better. On the 777-200LR leg, we just had to lean forward a bit to chat (for solo travelers, you can pull forward the large privacy screen, no issues).

In conclusion, I think Emirates did a great job with the reconfigured aircraft. Kinda wish all their aircraft were similarly outfitted! BTW, I peeked into Y, and that looked pretty good too.

skywardhunter May 30, 2018 11:57 am

Really hoping I am able to upgrade to J on my 77L flight to FLL in August... :( no luck so far.

BabyBearNewYork May 30, 2018 1:08 pm

I hope you can. You will love the experience! I'll be frank, after trying the 777-200LR, the A380 actually felt like a bit of a letdown and I never thought I'd say that.

Metanoia May 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Has anyone figured out the economics of this move?

ft101 May 31, 2018 12:00 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29809857)
Really hoping I am able to upgrade to J on my 77L flight to FLL in August... :( no luck so far.

Will they all be reconfigured by then?

verond May 31, 2018 12:05 am

Great write up, i'll be unfortunately flying on the old layout in late June.

skywardhunter May 31, 2018 12:54 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 29811909)
Will they all be reconfigured by then?

No idea but J seat map has been 2-2-2 since I booked. And it was the launch route for new config

ZRHMD11 May 31, 2018 1:43 am

Strange that only one aircraft has been reconfigured so far.....EK said last year that all 10 B777/200LR would be reconfigured till December 2018!!

They are very strong behind the schedule.... :-(

amnicoll May 31, 2018 4:45 am

having had the misfortune to find the 777 - 300 on one of my legs (Dubai - Manchester) with 2-3-2 I vowed to ensure I never booked one again and given a choice would always book 1-2-1 over 2-2-2

Airlines often make a song and dance about enhancement and the first plane forgetting that many customers will be disappointed finding the old for years in some cases

Marc Liljeqvist May 31, 2018 3:59 pm

The lack of overhead bins over the middle section is something I remember from my flights on the russian Il-96 and Il-86. It DOES make the cabin seem less claustrophobic. I am happy to hear that Emirates have "seen the light".

skywardhunter May 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist (Post 29814861)
The lack of overhead bins over the middle section is something I remember from my flights on the russian Il-96 and Il-86. It DOES make the cabin seem less claustrophobic. I am happy to hear that Emirates have "seen the light".

I think this has already been the case in the two-class 77W in J for some time, or am I misremembering?

Seat54 Jun 1, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 29810622)
Has anyone figured out the economics of this move?

I do believe that they have already been increasing fares to accomodate this move. :rolleyes:
I am seeng a average 6.8% Yr on Yr increase to all my usual destinations.