Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Old May 31, 2018, 3:19 pm

Thank for the clarification!
Old May 31, 2018, 4:06 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by flyer_sam
Hi All,

Once again, thank you for all the responses and help! I was considering to upgrade my first leg as well from J to F, however the J class I purchased was on a business saver price. First saver is still available, but the Emirates agent over the phone told me to try at the check-in counter because it might be cheaper. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?
Miles or cash? Bit of a gamble for both if you ask me because others may take advantage before hand and could be full at time of check in.

Cash upgrades at check in are fare difference I think. Miles upgrades...not too sure. If youve got the cash or miles to do it now, then personally I would.

Sorry if that doesnt make it any clearer.

S
Old May 31, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by imran_d60
Hey.
Sorry i'm bit lost trying to figure out how to make a new post thread.
But thought this is similar.

Wanted to upgrade one sector of my flight form Y to J. There are two legs. When I check during booking it says flex ticket upgrade will cost 55,250 miles.
However, at the moment only one sector is available. And if i check if i upgrade the two separately its costing 35,100 one section and 39,000 other section so separately its costing 74,100. So now sure why it said it would cost 55,250? Unless both sectors have to available together?
And if i get the separately at different times can i get the refund of the difference?

Thanks.

Please move to right thread if there one.
I had the exact same question, and after talking to three representatives on the phone and one through web chat, I was promised that you will be refunded the initial miles spent and given the new rate once the second leg opens up, regardless of if the first leg is still available or not after you have redeemed the first leg. I was not sure if they would honor the pricing for booking both leg at once if you book individually, especially if the first leg becomes unavailable when the second availability opens up. (was that so hard to understand? I guess it was for three people, I spent almost an hour on the phone a day ago for this)

It does make me wonder however, since the ability to redeem the much cheaper rates ultimately hinges on your ability to get upgrade the seats for the second leg as soon as availability opens up, I do not want to take chances and park my points in my Skywards account to allow for auto-upgrade just in case, as it will save me a lot of points in the long run. I hope I won't run into any snags with the auto-upgrade and giving me back my points to honor the cheaper rate.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by aqwayne
I hope I won't run into any snags with the auto-upgrade and giving me back my points to honor the cheaper rate.
I'm pretty sure you will.

I don't think there's been any reports on here of auto upgrade ever working, and there has definitely been reports of it not working. Also, if you want to get the mileage advantage of redeeming for two legs, this has always had to be done by phone. It's reported above that people have had no problem getting the first leg refunded and the combined upgrade processed, but I've also read (older) reports that this method has failed so make sure whoever you speak to commits to it before you pull the trigger. HUACA may be required.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It can be an issue if the agent thinks the first leg will be lost as they need to undo and redo the upgrade. Never understood why they couldn't just apply the upgrade to the 2nd leg and manually reprice it to the lower difference in miles, but oh well..
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It can be an issue if the agent thinks the first leg will be lost as they need to undo and redo the upgrade. Never understood why they couldn't just apply the upgrade to the 2nd leg and manually reprice it to the lower difference in miles, but oh well..
That is what I was trying to confirm with three people for over and hour and I was assured that would not be the case, but we shall see... Fingers crossed
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I'm pretty sure you will.

I don't think there's been any reports on here of auto upgrade ever working, and there has definitely been reports of it not working. Also, if you want to get the mileage advantage of redeeming for two legs, this has always had to be done by phone. It's reported above that people have had no problem getting the first leg refunded and the combined upgrade processed, but I've also read (older) reports that this method has failed so make sure whoever you speak to commits to it before you pull the trigger. HUACA may be required.
Oh no... Thats what I was afraid of, Thank you for the update. I guess I'll just have to play seat roulette and keep checking back. I just don't want to pay for expert flyer pro, perhaps I should for the fastest update ( I hear it alerts you faster than the ek alerts by a couple hours)

Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:45 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by aqwayne

Oh no... Thats what I was afraid of, Thank you for the update. I guess I'll just have to play seat roulette and keep checking back. I just don't want to pay for expert flyer pro, perhaps I should for the fastest update ( I hear it alerts you faster than the ek alerts by a couple hours)

Remember that you can pay the $9.99 for EF for one month only or for as many months as you need it for and then pause it. A small amount for the benefit of the improved chance of getting your upgrade, I would think.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh

Remember that you can pay the $9.99 for EF for one month only or for as many months as you need it for and then pause it. A small amount for the benefit of the improved chance of getting your upgrade, I would think.
Our resident EF salesman to the rescue All correct of course, just felt the need to chime in that I was expecting to be reading this post from you when I saw the one prior by aqwayne, I get tired of repeating this mantra so appreciate you doing so
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Our resident EF salesman to the rescue All correct of course, just felt the need to chime in that I was expecting to be reading this post from you when I saw the one prior by aqwayne, I get tired of repeating this mantra so appreciate you doing so
I know I know guys, I'll stop cheaping out, you just start to nickel and dime when the Europe trip expenses add up so fast (7K for two business tickets, my parents better take as many showers and drink as many glasses of Dom and Paradis as humanly possible without getting kicked off the plane ) thanks for all the advice.
thijsseh and skywardhunter like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I don't think there's been any reports on here of auto upgrade ever working
Worked fine for me very recently. J to F upgraded automatically 18 days before flight departure
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by wcel
Worked fine for me very recently. J to F upgraded automatically 18 days before flight departure
They've had a month to fix it since my post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.