Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading from J to F - New Member Question

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 3:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyer_sam

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the cigar room in the F class provides free cigars or do you have to bring your own?
Cigars are very modestly priced. The Romeo Y Juiletta Churchill is around $20, if memory serves me right. Also the Cigar lounge in concourse A is by far the best. Don't bother with the B concourse as the smoking area is just an empty canteen area under the baking hot sun. (still indoors, regulars will know what I mean).
Old May 27, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Please just book F - you do have more space and privacy, also, J can be quite hot at times compared to F. Crew really are fantastic more often than not - they really look after you and are very caring. I'm sure J cabin staff are equally as caring - the just have so many pax to care for. The F lounge in DXB is much more peaceful too! You will feel more cared for all round - plus, there is almost never a queue for the loo!
Old May 27, 2018, 5:22 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hi flyer_sam and welcome onboard the EK forum. I would like to add my welcome and it’s good to see you here.

GO FOR IT....Flights of that length will be well worth it. The F service on board will be either as much or as little as you want it to be. The seat will be appreciated in itself and surprisingly, no one has mentioned yet, you can have dine on demand. Eat as much as you want (within reason) and drink as much or as little. The crew will look after you in that way without any issues.

Most other things have been covered so go book it, enjoy the ride and make sure you come back and let us know how it was.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old May 28, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: Skywards silver
If I can jump on this thread with my question.
Been looking to pay cash to upgrade our J flights to F this summer LHR-SIN, late July return mid August.
been using the iPhone app and iPad app and also manage my booking on computer, to periodically check what the cash costs are, hoping for a drop.
Since last week manage my booking will now not return any prices for my upgrade enquiries, just saying “Flights or seats are unavailable on flights for the dates you have selected” the flights aren’t until end of July, and expert flyer shows F wide open on all flights, and also F is Bookatable still on EK on all flights.
i have made no changes to the booking.
Any ideas why I cannot get prices anymore?
many thanks
Old May 28, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
If I can jump on this thread with my question.
Been looking to pay cash to upgrade our J flights to F this summer LHR-SIN, late July return mid August.
been using the iPhone app and iPad app and also manage my booking on computer, to periodically check what the cash costs are, hoping for a drop.
Since last week manage my booking will now not return any prices for my upgrade enquiries, just saying “Flights or seats are unavailable on flights for the dates you have selected” the flights aren’t until end of July, and expert flyer shows F wide open on all flights, and also F is Bookatable still on EK on all flights.
i have made no changes to the booking.
Any ideas why I cannot get prices anymore?
many thanks
All channels return the error? EK's IT is a bit glitchy when it comes to changing your bookings, and is notorious for returning errors when it shouldn't. Best is to just call in and ask. However generally you can work it out yourself if you just look at what the current lowest F fare for sale on the website is, deduct what you paid originally and that's your upgrade price. No change fee for class of service upgrade. How many of you are there, F availability goes up to 4 only, if there are 5 of you there might only be 4 available (i.e. the highest availability ever shown is F4 as in 4 or more, so it could be 4 exactly), though I'm guessing it's more likely it's just two or three of you.

EK call centres are pretty good so don't be afraid to call, it'll likely take you much less time than you think.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:54 am

This is probably a really basic question but I'm curious to know if booking J and then cash upgrading to F is cheaper than buying a first saver ticket?
That's I guess if you're not bothered by flying J if you can't get an upgrade.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Skywards silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
All channels return the error? EK's IT is a bit glitchy when it comes to changing your bookings, and is notorious for returning errors when it shouldn't. Best is to just call in and ask. However generally you can work it out yourself if you just look at what the current lowest F fare for sale on the website is, deduct what you paid originally and that's your upgrade price. No change fee for class of service upgrade. How many of you are there, F availability goes up to 4 only, if there are 5 of you there might only be 4 available (i.e. the highest availability ever shown is F4 as in 4 or more, so it could be 4 exactly), though I'm guessing it's more likely it's just two or three of you.

EK call centres are pretty good so don't be afraid to call, it'll likely take you much less time than you think.
thanks for your reply.
yes all the online channels are returning the same error, I thought it was strange after enquiries had always worked before.
there are only 2 of us travelling, so I don’t think it’s a space issue.
i will try and work out the pricing myself. And also maybe phone EK.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by dsched
This is probably a really basic question but I'm curious to know if booking J and then cash upgrading to F is cheaper than buying a first saver ticket?
No, it would be the same price. You're just paying the difference.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls

thanks for your reply.
yes all the online channels are returning the same error, I thought it was strange after enquiries had always worked before.
there are only 2 of us travelling, so I don’t think it’s a space issue.
i will try and work out the pricing myself. And also maybe phone EK.
work it out yourself, then call EK to check if your number is correct, then going forward you can just continue working it out yourself, with relative confidence that it's accurate. always check for 2 pax though, as there might be 1 seat at a lower price and the 2nd at a higher so if you check just for 1 it may be inaccurate.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the tips and advice. I went ahead and made the upgrade! When I checked online, 2K, 3A, and 3K were all available so I chose 2K. Would anyone recommend another seat or would you say this is one of the best ones?
Stephenk82 likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:58 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I went ahead and made the upgrade! When I checked online, 2K, 3A, and 3K were all available so I chose 2K. Would anyone recommend another seat or would you say this is one of the best ones?
2A and 2K are my favourite seats (on the A380 as well as the 773). So perfect choice!
Enjoy and let us know what you thought about the experience!
Old May 29, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
I always choose either 2A or 2K on the A380, depending on time of day and route (i.e. I like watching sunrises and sunsets). Have fun!!!
sydtogla likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:42 pm

Hey.
Sorry i'm bit lost trying to figure out how to make a new post thread.
But thought this is similar.

Wanted to upgrade one sector of my flight form Y to J. There are two legs. When I check during booking it says flex ticket upgrade will cost 55,250 miles.
However, at the moment only one sector is available. And if i check if i upgrade the two separately its costing 35,100 one section and 39,000 other section so separately its costing 74,100. So now sure why it said it would cost 55,250? Unless both sectors have to available together?
And if i get the separately at different times can i get the refund of the difference?

Thanks.

Please move to right thread if there one.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:38 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by imran_d60
Hey.
Sorry i'm bit lost trying to figure out how to make a new post thread.
But thought this is similar.

Wanted to upgrade one sector of my flight form Y to J. There are two legs. When I check during booking it says flex ticket upgrade will cost 55,250 miles.
However, at the moment only one sector is available. And if i check if i upgrade the two separately its costing 35,100 one section and 39,000 other section so separately its costing 74,100. So now sure why it said it would cost 55,250? Unless both sectors have to available together?
And if i get the separately at different times can i get the refund of the difference?

Thanks.

Please move to right thread if there one.
Hi,

Yes, you can upgrade the single leg now. If the other leg becomes available later, you can phone EK and they'll combine the 2 legs for the normal upgrade amount.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

Once again, thank you for all the responses and help! I was considering to upgrade my first leg as well from J to F, however the J class I purchased was on a business saver price. First saver is still available, but the Emirates agent over the phone told me to try at the check-in counter because it might be cheaper. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.