Emirates Price Hike

Old May 14, 18, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Emirates Price Hike

Just wondered if anyone has been experiencing the same problem as i have - Emirates price hikes?

For the past 10 years i have always booked the same journey, at the same time of the year. LHR - MEL return in Business class. For the past few years i have always paid the same price between £3,000 - £3,250.

I have been looking at the fares for the past 5 months and the prices are almost at £4,000

So i have either the option of finding a cheaper carrier or waiting for Emirates to bring out one of the 'special fares'....trouble is i've been waiting for so long now i'm almost running out of time.

Is anyone else in the same boat. Maybe its just me! lol
Old May 14, 18, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
GBP depreciation + inflation, prices should be going up a couple % every year just for inflation alone.... never know if there'll be a special fare..
Old May 14, 18, 7:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
You could pay it this time and use the double miles offer to make it a bit more palatable? IME I wouldn't want to fly that route with many other carriers, either because of their product in the air or the product on the ground. I think EK still hits both of those things in the sweet spot.
Old May 14, 18, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would look around at other carriers - there are some good price optiosn available - especially if prepared to start outside UK ; e.g. FRA-SYD r/t for GBP1850 with CI

I do like Emirates, but wouldn't pay > GBP3000 for a business class r/t to Australia .
Old May 14, 18, 8:14 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I would look around at other carriers - there are some good price optiosn available - especially if prepared to start outside UK ; e.g. FRA-SYD r/t for GBP1850 with CI

I do like Emirates, but wouldn't pay > GBP3000 for a business class r/t to Australia .
Always run that risk of your plane breaking up in mid air with CI though
Old May 14, 18, 10:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoyed Platinum, AS MVPG. EK Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR
Let's hope the revenue management people don't get too addicted to having all these planes parked and having their yields climb...

I regularly got US West Coast-HYD Business Saver for $3,600-3,900 and now I'm lucky to get under $5k these days.
Old May 15, 18, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
You could pay it this time and use the double miles offer to make it a bit more palatable? IME I wouldn't want to fly that route with many other carriers, either because of their product in the air or the product on the ground. I think EK still hits both of those things in the sweet spot.
Double Miles?? The is their lowest saver price - so i dont think there are any double miles on offer?

Plus skywards miles are so much harder to use these days, its really not worth the extra loyalty
Old May 15, 18, 5:47 am

Programs: EY Gold
I suspect it's because of higher oil prices, depreciation of the pound and since the blockade a lot more people are flying Emirates so I think that might be a factor too.
Old May 15, 18, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danial21 View Post
I suspect it's because of higher oil prices, depreciation of the pound and since the blockade a lot more people are flying Emirates so I think that might be a factor too.
the blockade?
Old May 15, 18, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by qprjames View Post
the blockade?
Qatar blockade
Old May 15, 18, 8:30 am

I have no idea why you would pay that amount to fly Emirates which has a terrible FF programme.. I'd switch airlines and either go with QR, EY, GA, CX
ElJudioErrante likes this.

Last edited by salehir; May 15, 18 at 8:33 am Reason: Adding airlines
Old May 15, 18, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by qprjames View Post
For the past 10 years i have always booked the same journey, at the same time of the year. LHR - MEL return in Business class. For the past few years i have always paid the same price between £3,000 - £3,250.
This is the price range of Emirates CAI-MEL in first. Perhaps you'd consider a repositioning flight to CAI and starting there?

Shuly
Old May 15, 18, 11:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i have also noticed a substantial price increase from UK to BKK / KL. 2350 to 2400 for flights which were 2200 a couple of weeks ago.
As much as i do like EK i cant justify 2400 for a business class flight to BKK in a couple of weeks.

So now looking at Malaysia for 1800, Eva for 1900, Swiss for 1500 - with an extra 300 for the throne seats.

Possibly Qatar for 2100 which would also get me Gold status with Qatar
Old May 15, 18, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Another big fan of EK here (ever since their birth back in the mid-eighties) but not so big that I don’t look at other women .....oops, sorry, I mean carriers.

Just back from Oz, flew with QR + QF domestic, OSL-BNE (via PER), all on one ticket in J class throughout, including lie-flats on the very good A330 config used by QF. Price ?? £1492 during one of QR’s flash sales. Nice deal ! Great onboard service, and top class food (even got PJ’s + slippers in biz).
Old May 15, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by shuly View Post
This is the price range of Emirates CAI-MEL in first. Perhaps you'd consider a repositioning flight to CAI and starting there?

Shuly
Is that really a worthwhile plan ......

I doubt you’d get anything from London to Cairo return for much less than around £1K in biz.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: