Emirates Price Hike

Old May 14, 18, 6:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 20
Emirates Price Hike

Just wondered if anyone has been experiencing the same problem as i have - Emirates price hikes?

For the past 10 years i have always booked the same journey, at the same time of the year. LHR - MEL return in Business class. For the past few years i have always paid the same price between £3,000 - £3,250.

I have been looking at the fares for the past 5 months and the prices are almost at £4,000

So i have either the option of finding a cheaper carrier or waiting for Emirates to bring out one of the 'special fares'....trouble is i've been waiting for so long now i'm almost running out of time.

Is anyone else in the same boat. Maybe its just me! lol
qprjames is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 6:51 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
GBP depreciation + inflation, prices should be going up a couple % every year just for inflation alone.... never know if there'll be a special fare..
skywardhunter is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 7:42 pm
  #3  
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sydney
Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Posts: 917
You could pay it this time and use the double miles offer to make it a bit more palatable? IME I wouldn't want to fly that route with many other carriers, either because of their product in the air or the product on the ground. I think EK still hits both of those things in the sweet spot.
sydtogla is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 7:57 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 40,577
I would look around at other carriers - there are some good price optiosn available - especially if prepared to start outside UK ; e.g. FRA-SYD r/t for GBP1850 with CI

I do like Emirates, but wouldn't pay > GBP3000 for a business class r/t to Australia .
Dave Noble is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 8:14 pm
  #5  
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sydney
Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I would look around at other carriers - there are some good price optiosn available - especially if prepared to start outside UK ; e.g. FRA-SYD r/t for GBP1850 with CI

I do like Emirates, but wouldn't pay > GBP3000 for a business class r/t to Australia .
Always run that risk of your plane breaking up in mid air with CI though
sydtogla is offline  
Old May 14, 18, 10:05 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SAN/SFO/LAX/HYD/DXB depending on the day
Programs: Bonvoyed Platinum, AS MVPG. EK Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR
Posts: 804
Let's hope the revenue management people don't get too addicted to having all these planes parked and having their yields climb...

I regularly got US West Coast-HYD Business Saver for $3,600-3,900 and now I'm lucky to get under $5k these days.
Metanoia is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 4:01 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
You could pay it this time and use the double miles offer to make it a bit more palatable? IME I wouldn't want to fly that route with many other carriers, either because of their product in the air or the product on the ground. I think EK still hits both of those things in the sweet spot.
Double Miles?? The is their lowest saver price - so i dont think there are any double miles on offer?

Plus skywards miles are so much harder to use these days, its really not worth the extra loyalty
qprjames is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 5:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Dubai and Brisbane
Programs: EY Gold
Posts: 65
I suspect it's because of higher oil prices, depreciation of the pound and since the blockade a lot more people are flying Emirates so I think that might be a factor too.
danial21 is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 7:12 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by danial21 View Post
I suspect it's because of higher oil prices, depreciation of the pound and since the blockade a lot more people are flying Emirates so I think that might be a factor too.
the blockade?
qprjames is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 7:15 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Economy, mostly :(
Programs: Skywards Gold
Posts: 7,766
Originally Posted by qprjames View Post
the blockade?
Qatar blockade
skywardhunter is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 8:30 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Posts: 222
I have no idea why you would pay that amount to fly Emirates which has a terrible FF programme.. I'd switch airlines and either go with QR, EY, GA, CX
ElJudioErrante likes this.

Last edited by salehir; May 15, 18 at 8:33 am Reason: Adding airlines
salehir is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 11:03 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: HFA
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by qprjames View Post
For the past 10 years i have always booked the same journey, at the same time of the year. LHR - MEL return in Business class. For the past few years i have always paid the same price between £3,000 - £3,250.
This is the price range of Emirates CAI-MEL in first. Perhaps you'd consider a repositioning flight to CAI and starting there?

Shuly
shuly is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 11:28 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 329
i have also noticed a substantial price increase from UK to BKK / KL. 2350 to 2400 for flights which were 2200 a couple of weeks ago.
As much as i do like EK i cant justify 2400 for a business class flight to BKK in a couple of weeks.

So now looking at Malaysia for 1800, Eva for 1900, Swiss for 1500 - with an extra 300 for the throne seats.

Possibly Qatar for 2100 which would also get me Gold status with Qatar
stanontour is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 3:43 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,275
Another big fan of EK here (ever since their birth back in the mid-eighties) but not so big that I don’t look at other women .....oops, sorry, I mean carriers.

Just back from Oz, flew with QR + QF domestic, OSL-BNE (via PER), all on one ticket in J class throughout, including lie-flats on the very good A330 config used by QF. Price ?? £1492 during one of QR’s flash sales. Nice deal ! Great onboard service, and top class food (even got PJ’s + slippers in biz).
subject2load is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 3:50 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,275
Originally Posted by shuly View Post
This is the price range of Emirates CAI-MEL in first. Perhaps you'd consider a repositioning flight to CAI and starting there?

Shuly
Is that really a worthwhile plan ......

I doubt you’d get anything from London to Cairo return for much less than around £1K in biz.
subject2load is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: