Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Price Hike

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 3:37 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
IMO QR will really only really compete to and from AU when the Q suites become a regular feature on the 77W. If you're a regular flyer, 15h on those 8 year old 77Ws they are flying at the moment will knock it out of you. Possibly the driest cabin I've flown as far as humidity goes.

I'd overlook the noise, humidity and higher cabin altitude for one of those suites though
Old May 15, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ sydtogla - well, in fairness you did say “IMO” !

I have a rather different perspective on QR.

You do not have to endure 15 hours in a 777. I did one sector in a very pleasant 787. And then down to Perth, yes, it was a 777. But I experienced absolutely none of the things you describe. Just a very comfortable flight, and extremely well-looked after by CC ; indeed, as good as any crew I have experienced with EK (even when travelling in F for my past EK trips to Australia and NZ).
No onboard showers of course. But at £1500 return to Oz in J ...... I can live with that 😊
daisymay2 likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:33 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by subject2load
@ sydtogla - well, in fairness you did say “IMO” !

I have a rather different perspective on QR.

You do not have to endure 15 hours in a 777. I did one sector in a very pleasant 787. And then down to Perth, yes, it was a 777. But I experienced absolutely none of the things you describe. Just a very comfortable flight, and extremely well-looked after by CC ; indeed, as good as any crew I have experienced with EK (even when travelling in F for my past EK trips to Australia and NZ).
No onboard showers of course. But at £1500 return to Oz in J ...... I can live with that 😊
Yep my opinions are by no means universal! Here's some more thoughts.

I flew SYD-EDI in Y and then in J on the return leg. I much preferred their A380 to any other frame, although I thought that the (empty) F cabin felt a bit like a more basic AF 'La Premiere'. I particularly enjoyed the QR bar It was modern, sleek and spacious. I also like that there are PJs in J. that said, I dislike the lower quality wine however I thought food was on par with EK, and the dine on demand is particularly good. In J on the 787 I was at the rear of the cabin and could hear the bassinet dwellers behind me going wild for the whole flight. I didn't like that design, but you could have something similar on a EK 77W if you're unfortunate enough to be sat there. I paid GBP1100pp to move from Y-J on the return, which I thought was very good value.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:36 pm

Thanks for coming back sydtogla, with your more detailed thoughts ........... interesting stuff !

A key point I omitted to mention is that QR have just upgraded their DOH-PER route and it is now served by an A380 rather than the B777 (in fact I missed the change by just 2 days ..... I flew back April 29, and the 380 began May 01).

They have also announced - much to the bemusement of Brisbane residents, who still don’t have a direct QR link, unlike several other AU cities, inc. even little Adelaide - a new service to Canberra.

Old May 16, 2018, 12:07 am
IHG Contributor Badge

The CBR-SYD-DOH 77W flight will be a daily guaranteed Q suite from June 8th or there about. But there are now 4 EK daily flights from SYD and so I'm not planning on going anywhere other than EK. 6 more AU-EU flights on EK this year.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stanontour
i have also noticed a substantial price increase from UK to BKK / KL. 2350 to 2400 for flights which were 2200 a couple of weeks ago.
As much as i do like EK i cant justify 2400 for a business class flight to BKK in a couple of weeks.

So now looking at Malaysia for 1800, Eva for 1900, Swiss for 1500 - with an extra 300 for the throne seats.

Possibly Qatar for 2100 which would also get me Gold status with Qatar
uk to Bkk have been £1,950 for the past 3 months although stopped recently ( i know, ive been watching closely) but i was holding out for the melbourne prices to come down. I should have just bought the BKK fare and worked out separate flights BKK - MEL - BKK.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla
The CBR-SYD-DOH 77W flight will be a daily guaranteed Q suite from June 8th or there about......................
Hi again sydtogla : can you confirm (I guess you wouldn’t have said it, if not true !) that this definitely will be the case ??

I ask, because I am keen to attend the AO tennis (yet again !) in 2019. And although January is some way off, I’m seeing some attractive fares to CBR (and which may not be quite so attractive as the months go by). If I can be sure of a Q suite, that would be a further incentive to book up well ahead.

Will also look at EK options. EK have hardly ever let me down (once actually onboard, that is) in all my history of using them ; but I’d be surprised if they can currently match QR - at least not in terms of J class pricing.

Old May 17, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Out from CGK to Europe (MXP in my case) EK is now far expensive in comparison to QR, EY and sometime TK, especially for J saver fares. Since last February QR and EY are offering fare deals almost on weekly basis and prices going down continuously even comparing one year ago. In 2017 you could grab a good deal around 1800 Euro in J during 2-3 campaign offer per year, last March I grabbed a ticket with QR at 1400 Euro and yesterday QR Ramadan special offer, the same ticket dropped to 19.5 mio IDR (1200 Euro) something I never seen before as I constantly check J deals since last two years. It seems QR and EY now desperately looking for premium customers thus EK is now 40 to 50% expensive in comparison, cannot find a J ticket from CGK to Italy below 2300 Euro, too much for me.

I used to be a happy EK customers since early 2000 to and from SE Asia and Europe till 2013, but then fare difference (and EK program devaluation) forced me to find alternatives.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:23 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by subject2load

Hi again sydtogla : can you confirm (I guess you wouldn’t have said it, if not true !) that this definitely will be the case ??
Qatar flights SYD/CBR Q Suites
Old May 18, 2018, 1:15 am

Thanks sydtogla.

Am a keen follower of ausbt but must have missed that one.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
not to mention that EK has started playing the low cost carrier game of flying from regional airports such as Stansted which makes prices go higher at the "premium" airports

when i was comparing a standard LON-DXB ticket the fare that used to be from LHR/LGW is now coming up via STN what a shame
Old May 18, 2018, 2:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by salehir
not to mention that EK has started playing the low cost carrier game of flying from regional airports such as Stansted which makes prices go higher at the "premium" airports

when i was comparing a standard LON-DXB ticket the fare that used to be from LHR/LGW is now coming up via STN what a shame
Eh?

It's not as if EK have stopped flying from LHR/LGW. Just put either one of those as your starting point rather than the generic LON.

I'm my experience, some of the regional airports are often more expensive than the London airports.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Eh?

It's not as if EK have stopped flying from LHR/LGW. Just put either one of those as your starting point rather than the generic LON.

I'm my experience, some of the regional airports are often more expensive than the London airports.
man is always more expensive than LGW
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 3:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by m3red

man is always more expensive than LGW
And GLA is always more expensive than LHR MAN NCL and BHX despite, in real terms, not being that much more expensive to run.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
point of my post was that they have started flying from STN and charging what they used to at LHR/LGW in the meanwhile increasing the fares from LHR/LGW ... lower taxes and costs at STN should have decreased fares but doesnt seem to be the case

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.