Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:38 am

Hope you have a good flight, Let us know how full the flight is. I have yet to book flights for BKK, So emirates is an option for Edinburgh which in my opinion is a great airport
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by malct
Hope you have a good flight, Let us know how full the flight is. I have yet to book flights for BKK, So emirates is an option for Edinburgh which in my opinion is a great airport
Thanks, contemplating doing a trip report but when I look at most reports they are business and im on economy lol.

So far, its been a smooth experience and as a gold skywards member, they've given access to No 1 lounge. Its no where near as good as the EK lounge in Glasgow but fine considering i've come like 4 hours early!!!!
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Thanks, contemplating doing a trip report but when I look at most reports they are business and im on economy lol.

So far, its been a smooth experience and as a gold skywards member, they've given access to No 1 lounge. Its no where near as good as the EK lounge in Glasgow but fine considering i've come like 4 hours early!!!!
Look forward to reading the Economy trip report. Not enough of them on FT

S
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Cannot seem to book chauffeur on this route to the airport on MMB....anyone else have the same problem? Glasgow flights etc still ok.

Cheers
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Cannot seem to book chauffeur on this route to the airport on MMB....anyone else have the same problem? Glasgow flights etc still ok.

Cheers
It is on the EK CD page so shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe an IT issue? Twitter or a call to the call centre should resolve it.

S
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:47 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Saltire74

It is on the EK CD page so shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe an IT issue? Twitter or a call to the call centre should resolve it.

S
I’ve managed to book mine next week no problems.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I flew DXB - EDI last Friday in J and business was totally full with a couple of suites in first still available. I can upload pics here if anyone's interested.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:18 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by u01sss3
I flew DXB - EDI last Friday in J and business was totally full with a couple of suites in first still available. I can upload pics here if anyone's interested.
You're free to post if you want. Is it to show the full cabin or what?

I am saddened to see that this route is largely being serviced by (nearly) the oldest 77Ws in the fleet at the moment. Also, EF shows my flight as nearly empty but the CSA told me that its at 70% in J. Not really keen for packed J on an old 77W tbh.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:59 pm

Hope you had a Great flight I used to be a Gold member, It was great, Free flights once a year, Free upgrades, I was doing 5 return flights from the UK to BKK every year, So i always booked Economy, But i got a good few upgrades,
The lounges are the best.
sydtogla likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Was check in open 4 hours before flight time?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Was check in open 4 hours before flight time?
yes, I arrived at 3:15 and all counters were open.

agree with the above post where they mention the fleet is old. It was indeed a very old air craft and will put me off from using this route, didn’t enjoy it one bit. Ice was a total shambles, touch wasn’t registering, screen was poor and just overall outdated interior.

Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:05 am
IHG Contributor Badge

GLA have had frames that are consistently 7-9 years younger since EDI launched.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sydtogla
GLA have had frames that are consistently 7-9 years younger since EDI launched.
​​​​​​Last week's was a really old one. I did appreciate the massage function in the seat though but the TV screen was really fuzzy.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Here's a short video / trip report:
[Broken link removed by Mod-see post 76 in the thread]

(first one so be nice!)

Just some additional tidbits:

Edinburgh Airport
Boy do I hate it. It feels out-dated and feels as if its over-capacity. I love GLA due to the natural light which is coming through the top of the check-in counters. GLA feels more open/wide/accommodating.

Checkin
Checkin was open from 3:15pm, this is when I arrived. All 6-8 check-in counters were open

I was over my luggage allowance, 3 pcs checked in (2 suitcases and 1 large box). I got lucky and wasn't told to put the box on the belt for weighing, instead was just told to apply the tag myself and go to the oversize counter. Thanks EK!

I was told at checkin that the new service by EK was a great success; October was really busy and November seen a dip in seats. They are launching a daily from December (according to the agent).

Security
What a mess. Luckily I won't be traveling from EDI again (unless GLA is proving to be difficult in terms of availability).

Lounge
Was actually decent, great selection of food (im a vegetarian so a few things were appealing). Is it as nice as the Emirates own one? No. There's not even any toilets inside, you have to go back in the terminal to use them.

Lounge access - I wasn't told at check-in about being given complimentary access to the 3rd party lounge. It was only when I sat down with my coffee from Costa (across the lounge) and decided to look at my boarding pass and it mentioned the lounge on it.

Boarding
The gate was not too far from the lounge (I would say less distance than the EK lounge in Glasgow to the normal gates at the end). 5 minute walk at max. Having gone through the boarding process, there were 2 sets of Police Scotland agents standing in the air bridge which was weird. Never experienced this at Glasgow - why not pull up folk just after security if you need to where you have a dedicated desk!

Will I be using this route again? No. Doesn't make sense especially from a Gold card holders POV - dedicated EK lounge in Glasgow and chauffeur service when flying business.

Last edited by Saltire74; Nov 21, 2018 at 3:07 am Reason: Broken link removed
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:48 am

Thanks for posting; link doesn't work (?) I got the message below. We're flying GLA-MEL in a few weeks, J first leg to DXB, F second leg to MEL after an upgrade. We could have travelled from EDI but GLA more suitable for 2 reasons - the superb GLA lounge and the earlier flight which gave better options for us of what flight from DXB and what time into MEL. Possibly a 3rd reason as we're right on the 70 miles as the crow flies for chaffeur drive to GLA, possible surcharges to EDI. (perhaps in time there will be a 'day' and a 'night' flight from EDI?

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Make sure you’ve typed the URL correctly, or try searching Vimeo. You could also watch one of the videos below instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.