Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sydtogla
No offence to Edinburgh types. But the biggest BA (not just *A) loyal following outside of the south of England is EDI. But yes, QR appeals to OW faithful.
I'm flying to HKG after booking as soon as the route was announced and when making a booking the EK site was keener to funnel me via LHR. Finding the EDI flight was a bit of a trek, especially if you're not clued up on routes
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:24 am

As I understand, the reduced service in Edinburgh is a result of runway renovations and restrictions at Dubai airport. Once completed, the service is to resume 7 days a week. As for the experience at the two airports, this is all down to the significantly fewer number of passengers at Glasgow. Edinburgh is clearly the premier airport in Scotland.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Katfras
As I understand, the reduced service in Edinburgh is a result of runway renovations and restrictions at Dubai airport. Once completed, the service is to resume 7 days a week. As for the experience at the two airports, this is all down to the significantly fewer number of passengers at Glasgow. Edinburgh is clearly the premier airport in Scotland.
Source?

Unless there's some other work going on, the runway restrictions don't kick in until April 2019, and the service adjustments (including Glasgow reducing to one daily) were announced a while back.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Except for its lack of EK lounge. Or any actually passable J/F lounge beyond the BA offering for that reason. Also, not that is a competition, but isn't EK bring the F product to EDI for the first time in years? QR and EY only ever flew 2 class.
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:34 am

My husband works for Edinburgh Airport!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

My husband works for Edinburgh Airport!
Hardly a definitive answer. As mentioned, the runway enhancements don't start until April 2019, so I'd say your husband had duff info .
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:48 am

He works very close to the operations department.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
He works very close to the operations department.
Does a baggage handler fall under operations?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Any word from EDI operations on when they can get their security organisation out of the third world?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:28 am

A dummy booking is giving confusing results and it looks like it might be reduced further during the runway closure, but does indeed show it back to daily afterwards. Can't even get it to price some dates so maybe still WIP.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Bagpipe send off from Dubai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obOhGCoUxtU

Inaugural
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:03 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Bagpipe send off from Dubai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obOhGCoUxtU

Inaugural
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3jtEHn6Bcg
I see nor hear any bagpipes. And that must rate amongst the 10 most boring video’s ever! Come on, you Scots can do a lot better than that!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh

I see nor hear any bagpipes. And that must rate amongst the 10 most boring video’s ever! Come on, you Scots can do a lot better than that!
It's the first link in the post, FT only converted the 2nd one to an embedded video:

DYKWIA, thijsseh and sydtogla like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:31 am

Plane, pilot crunch to hit new Emirates service to Edinburgh

Dubai airline says flights to Scottish capital that began Monday will be cut to five a week from the end of this month through next May

https://amp.arabianbusiness.com/amp/...-to-edinburgh?
Bouncingsouls likes this.

Last edited by yanny baba; Oct 3, 2018 at 11:37 am Reason: Adding proper link
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Just checked in for my flight at Edinburgh and enquired at check in about how this new sector is doing and was told October was really good and that November has seen a slight dip.

The agent at check in also confirmed the daily service will be resuming from next month (December).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.