Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Skywards silver
According to Edinburgh evening news today, emirates has cut these flights down to 5 weekly instead of daily because of poor sales, reinstating daily only over the festive period.
Makes sense now that they were offering special fares in economy and triple miles bonus for EDI flights. Shame that this has happened before the first flight had even taken off.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:38 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls
According to Edinburgh evening news today, emirates has cut these flights down to 5 weekly instead of daily because of poor sales, reinstating daily only over the festive period.
Makes sense now that they were offering special fares in economy and triple miles bonus for EDI flights. Shame that this has happened before the first flight had even taken off.
The Edinburgh Evening News is a rag so I wasn't going to believe it at first. I just changed to EK23 on 19/11 because of Z availability. I hope it doesn't get chopped!!
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla
The Edinburgh Evening News is a rag so I wasn't going to believe it at first. I just changed to EK23 on 19/11 because of Z availability. I hope it doesn't get chopped!!
You should be OK. It looks like Tuesday and Wednesday flights are the ones getting the chop.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ft101
You should be OK. It looks like Tuesday and Wednesday flights are the ones getting the chop.
Makes sense, always a quiet time of the week. I reckon the local EDI market are much more wed to taking awful *A flights to LHR for connections rather than using the ME3.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Makes sense, always a quiet time of the week. I reckon the local EDI market are much more wed to taking awful *A flights to LHR for connections rather than using the ME3.
You mean OneWorld?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You mean OneWorld?
No offence to Edinburgh types. But the biggest BA (not just *A) loyal following outside of the south of England is EDI. But yes, QR appeals to OW faithful.

Last edited by sydtogla; Sep 26, 2018 at 4:00 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
No offence to Edinburgh types. But the biggest *A loyal following outside of the south of England is EDI. But yes, QR appeals to OW faithful.
which *A airlines fly EDI-LHR, though?
sydtogla likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:34 am

Both Qatar and Etihad had very cheap deals when they started in Edinburgh, Managed to get Edinburgh to Bangkok around the Ł330 price, Emirates was over Ł500.

Most likely Emirates started the service to drive its competitors out of Scotland
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:42 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Their lounge offering compared to GLA EK lounge will be pathetic. Until that changes I will still use GLA as a departure point.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Their lounge offering compared to GLA EK lounge will be pathetic. Until that changes I will still use GLA as a departure point.
A triple points (77,000) Y flex + flight to aus is quite tempting, is it worth the extra effort of getting to instead of MAN or LHR though..
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Will08
A triple points (77,000) Y flex + flight to aus is quite tempting, is it worth the extra effort of getting to instead of MAN or LHR though..
I'd sell my 2h in the lounge for those miles, no questions asked!
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
I opted for the triple miles offer which was due to end on the 15th of September (according to the fine print and email promotional text). However as I was traveling on the 15th, when I spoke with EK support staff via live chat, according to their system the deadline was the 30th of September so alarm bells did indeed start to ring in terms of not enough people booking up on the EDI route.

I will be booking a fare from EDI shortly, but only because I want the triple miles promo. I prefer Glasgow as its a) 20 mins closer b) its a nicer airport (in my opinion) c) better/quicker onwards connections to Shanghai and d) EK lounge is available at GLA.

I remember when Etihad pulled out of EDI, a lot of people thought EK would fill the gap nicely but as the reports show, its failed from the get-go. GLA is a success for EK as they have a monopoly there whereas in EDI you have Qatar and Turkish airlines giving each other a run for their dosh.

Emirates did not mention APD when announcing its frequency reduction. The big three Persian Gulf carriers – Emirates, Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways – have hit turbulence in recent years due to regional instability, lower oil prices and the emergence of low-cost long-haul business models. But cannibalization of demand for Emirates’ existing twice-daily service to Glasgow is likely to have been the main factor in its Edinburgh revision. Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/martinr.../#43d00e813fd2

This is interesting though as the chances of GLA getting a 3rd are most probably out the window and the rumoured A380 possibly delayed or won't happen.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:20 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
I opted for the triple miles offer which was due to end on the 15th of September (according to the fine print and email promotional text). However as I was traveling on the 15th, when I spoke with EK support staff via live chat, according to their system the deadline was the 30th of September so alarm bells did indeed start to ring in terms of not enough people booking up on the EDI route.

I will be booking a fare from EDI shortly, but only because I want the triple miles promo. I prefer Glasgow as its a) 20 mins closer b) its a nicer airport (in my opinion) c) better/quicker onwards connections to Shanghai and d) EK lounge is available at GLA.

I remember when Etihad pulled out of EDI, a lot of people thought EK would fill the gap nicely but as the reports show, its failed from the get-go. GLA is a success for EK as they have a monopoly there whereas in EDI you have Qatar and Turkish airlines giving each other a run for their dosh.

Emirates did not mention APD when announcing its frequency reduction. The big three Persian Gulf carriers – Emirates, Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways – have hit turbulence in recent years due to regional instability, lower oil prices and the emergence of low-cost long-haul business models. But cannibalization of demand for Emirates’ existing twice-daily service to Glasgow is likely to have been the main factor in its Edinburgh revision. Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/martinr.../#43d00e813fd2

This is interesting though as the chances of GLA getting a 3rd are most probably out the window and the rumoured A380 possibly delayed or won't happen.
A388 is bigger than Glasgow Airport buildings, would require a whole new terminal!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
A388 is bigger than Glasgow Airport buildings, would require a whole new terminal!
There was talk earlier (poss different thread) about working being carried out on the GLA runway to make it A380 compatible.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja& uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjH-ceU59rdAhWLDewKHSj4DGYQFjAKegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2 F%2Fwww.businesstraveller.com%2Fairlines%2F2016%2F 08%2F11%2Femirates-a380-serve-glasgow%2F&usg=AOvVaw3ee_0THIbarnsTZkXIUp6I
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:18 am
IHG Contributor Badge

EK flew a 388 to gLA once. I think the problem is one of capacity and air bridges. And demand obviously!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.