Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK 409 Departing MEL - early check in / bag drop ...flying F

Old Apr 17, 18, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Hey Y'all!

Small question for a flight departing on the 20th. I have myself and my wife booked in F on EK 409 with a 05:00 departure. We will have a few bags to check and was hoping to get that done on the 19th at some point. EK has 3 flights that I know of departing MEL. A 05:00 , 18:00 and a 21:25.

Would I be able to talk to the F check in agents during the check in for the 18:00 flight and get my bags dropped and get my boarding pass? I know this might not be regular process, but I figure with an F ticket they could work this out. I'd be checking my bags basically 11 hours early?
Old Apr 17, 18, 5:56 am

Why would you make two trips to Tulla?
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, SPG gold, QF Silver, Shangri-La GC Jade, KLM FB
So EK generally follow the QF policy on check in at MEL and SYD which is all day check in and bag drop, all day lounge access. The complexity here is that MEL airport closes to international flights overnight. For that reason, I don't think they would let you drop the previous day.
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
So EK generally follow the QF policy on check in at MEL and SYD which is all day check in and bag drop, all day lounge access. The complexity here is that MEL airport closes to international flights overnight. For that reason, I don't think they would let you drop the previous day.
Thought the MEL international terminal was open 24hrs?

Any idea if there are luggage storage we could use at the airport for several hours then, if my plan doesn't work?
Old Apr 17, 18, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stratheden View Post
Why would you make two trips to Tulla?
Not actually trying to make two trips. Just trying to get checked in early, so we can enjoy the lounges that would be available. Flight leaves at 5am, means I've got to get there by 2ish, wich means I'd have to wake up around 12-1 in the morning, not my idea of a good night. So we plan on overnight in at the airport, if we can get in and use the lounges that we've paid for.
Old Apr 17, 18, 6:57 pm

If the airport closes as sydtolga says, then I would think it should be much simpler to just online check in the day before and have the chauffeur service transport you and your checked bags together, as opposed to using luggage storage, as you have to wake up at 12-1 anyway.
Old Apr 17, 18, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MT_Switch View Post
If the airport closes as sydtolga says, then I would think it should be much simpler to just online check in the day before and have the chauffeur service transport you and your checked bags together, as opposed to using luggage storage, as you have to wake up at 12-1 anyway.
That would be wonderful, however we are traveling on an award ticket and I believe there is no chauffeur service with award tickets.
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
That would be wonderful, however we are traveling on an award ticket and I believe there is no chauffeur service with award tickets.
There is if it's an EK Award.

If the flight is at 5 you only need to be there at 4. I'd never show up 3 hours early for a 5am flight unless I was transiting from an earlier connection. Check in and bag drop generally close 60 mins before departure and I very frequently only arrive at the airport 60-90 mins before.
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not actually trying to make two trips. Just trying to get checked in early, so we can enjoy the lounges that would be available. Flight leaves at 5am, means I've got to get there by 2ish, which means I'd have to wake up around 12-1 in the morning, not my idea of a good night. So we plan on overnight in at the airport, if we can get in and use the lounges that we've paid for.
You will need to check lounge opening times, if you plan to camp overnight in an airside lounge. My understanding is they are not open 24hrs. There are few(~none) international arrivals/departures 01:00 to 04:00, but unlike SYD & ADL their is no curfew.

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...ities-services

EK
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...worldwide.aspx
Could not find opening hours

QF
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...unge/global/en
05:15 to 23:30 Mon, Wed
03:45 to 23:30 Tue, Thu-Sun
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
There is if it's an EK Award.

If the flight is at 5 you only need to be there at 4. I'd never show up 3 hours early for a 5am flight unless I was transiting from an earlier connection. Check in and bag drop generally close 60 mins before departure and I very frequently only arrive at the airport 60-90 mins before.
Well I could see how that might work for some, but this is more like a once in a lifetime type of travel itinerary. I'd really like to be able to show up to the airport to expirience everything , including doing some lounge hopping, free massages, drinks, dining the whole nine yards if you will.

We booked the award using JAL mileage bank, but it's is EK ticketed. Not sure if that counts or is what you mean by EK award?
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Well I could see how that might work for some, but this is more like a once in a lifetime type of travel itinerary. I'd really like to be able to show up to the airport to expirience everything , including doing some lounge hopping, free massages, drinks, dining the whole nine yards if you will.

We booked the award using JAL mileage bank, but it's is EK ticketed. Not sure if that counts or is what you mean by EK award?
No, an EK Award is one issued using Skywards miles.

I understand that it's a once in a lifetime trip, but as pointed out by others and given the timing of the flight lounges may be closed and shops in the airport might not be open either.

The trip is about the onboard experience primarily surely? You can experience the lounges on any J ticket, but the onboard experience in F ist much more unique, so if I were you I'd be thinking about how to be best prepared and in the best physical and mental state to fully experience and appreciate that. This might involve being there the evening before as you prefer currently, or arriving shortly before check in closes, that's a oreferepre youlyo have to choose.

But if you show up at 2 and have to sit outside the lounge for 2 hours waiting for it to open that'll probably be a pretty bad start so just double check the lounge opening hours if possible (you could try calling EK or tweeting to @EmiratesSupport)
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
You will need to check lounge opening times, if you plan to camp overnight in an airside lounge. My understanding is they are not open 24hrs. There are few(~none) international arrivals/departures 01:00 to 04:00, but unlike SYD & ADL their is no curfew.

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...ities-services

EK
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...worldwide.aspx
Could not find opening hours

QF
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...unge/global/en
Thanks for the links. Yeah, I figured we might get booted for a least a little while, but was hoping to enjoy the lounges for a while at least. I'll have to look for some hours on the Emirates lounge, but I would think since you can check in T-3 hours that they'd have it open by 2am for thier F & J passengers.
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
No, an EK Award is one issued using Skywards miles.

I understand that it's a once in a lifetime trip, but as pointed out by others and given the timing of the flight lounges may be closed and shops in the airport might not be open either.

The trip is about the onboard experience primarily surely? You can experience the lounges on any J ticket, but the onboard experience in F ist much more unique, so if I were you I'd be thinking about how to be best prepared and in the best physical and mental state to fully experience and appreciate that. This might involve being there the evening before as you prefer currently, or arriving shortly before check in closes, that's a oreferepre youlyo have to choose.

But if you show up at 2 and have to sit outside the lounge for 2 hours waiting for it to open that'll probably be a pretty bad start so just double check the lounge opening hours if possible (you could try calling EK or tweeting to @EmiratesSupport)
Very good point! We just finished a flight with TG from BKK-SYD in F on thier 747 and we were both exauhsted from traveling earlier. Still enjoyed the flight, but no doubt we would have enjoyed it more had we been rested.

And I'll try getting in touch with EK, I've had great success with there online chat as well.
Old Apr 17, 18, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. Yeah, I figured we might get booted for a least a little while, but was hoping to enjoy the lounges for a while at least. I'll have to look for some hours on the Emirates lounge, but I would think since you can check in T-3 hours that they'd have it open by 2am for their F & J passengers.
3hrs before departure is the best you could hope for. Aust emigration will not open if there are no departing flights. That may be 2hrs before (guess).
Once airside, where lounges are, no going back to landside.
https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...hts/Departures

There are several airport hotels from budget to high priced (for what you get)

IMHO you plan (overnight lounge camping) will not work.
Old Apr 18, 18, 1:58 am
formerly EKplat

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS, QF pleb
Thanks for the links. Yeah, I figured we might get booted for a least a little while, but was hoping to enjoy the lounges for a while at least. I'll have to look for some hours on the Emirates lounge, but I would think since you can check in T-3 hours that they'd have it open by 2am for thier F & J passengers.
I've flown 409 several times and have arrived at the lounge T-2.5 and it was well and truly open. I come from the southern Mornington Peninsula and always give myself plenty of time, especially with the interminable works that are still taking place on the Tullamarine Freeway in the early morning hours. I will be on 409 on the 30th April. Generally, there are not so many people taking the 409 due to the early morning departure and arriving too late to catch many early connections at DXB (it arrives at 1300). Consequently the lounge is not so crowded and very peaceful. Some of the services you're hoping for are not available in that lounge AFAIK. Never seen them, but not looking too hard as I have never tried to use them.

Search this Thread