Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to F, chances of companion OPUP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver

Hey just wondering if anyone has any experience of flying in F with a travel companion in Y and whether they got an op up into J or even F? I have experienced this a couple of times with CX.

I'm trying to put the finishing touches to an itinerary but I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of trying to find upgrade availability from J to F with miles. My logic is that rather then using X amount of miles to upgrade both us us to J, I could just buy a J saver and upgrade that with the hope that EK will upgrade my companion to J, thus saving half the miles. If they don't oblige then I would just use the remaining miles to upgrade at check in.

Current plans are either ICN or HKG to UK inbound by 2/3 of May. I'll still be a silver member but my companion is only a blue.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Very little chance of that happening. The upgrades are automatically generated based on ticket type and status, so unless you have a Y Flex Plus or Y Flex, your friend will be near end of any upgrade queue.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Not happening
steff_29 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Companion OPUP? Sorry, computer says 'no'. Zero chance, also given your respective FF status.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, EK Silver
Well I guess I don't have to clutch that straw anymore then. Glad to hear that there is a hierarchy of OP UPs being enforced although can anyone say for certain if it goes by membership status or ticket type? The lowest fare we'll be on is Y flex when in economy.

Looking back I now appreciate how well CX look after their F passengers, so much so that they move their companions up closer to the front so they don't have to wait too long for them to disembark.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by milehighmike
Well I guess I don't have to clutch that straw anymore then. Glad to hear that there is a hierarchy of OP UPs being enforced although can anyone say for certain if it goes by membership status or ticket type? The lowest fare we'll be on is Y flex when in economy.

Looking back I now appreciate how well CX look after their F passengers, so much so that they move their companions up closer to the front so they don't have to wait too long for them to disembark.
I/o and plat first (no matter ticket type) then fare type in order of status so Gold flex plus would be next.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Bear in mind that a PNR will only contain pax with the same fare basis. So in your scenario would end up with effectively two separate bookings anyway. At least with EK the companion would not be recognized as such for this alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.