Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Gold extended when I didn't want it to be. Can anyone advise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold extended when I didn't want it to be. Can anyone advise?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Actually, you are wrong. Platinum trumps everybody these days. This changed about 6 months ago.
That is certainly how I (and I think most of the 'regulars' here) understand it to work. But on the other hand EK have changed the rules around op ups every now and then and (as these rules are not published) we don't get told about these changes.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
That is certainly how I (and I think most of the 'regulars' here) understand it to work. But on the other hand EK have changed the rules around op ups every now and then and (as these rules are not published) we don't get told about these changes.
Indeed, the Plat above all, then fare types sub-divided by status is the common accepted method discussed on here, however having been part of the discussion that formed that collective opinion on here I'd like to point out that it is all based on hearsay and there has been zero official confirmation of procedure or policy, and as you say, it may have changed again.

Either way, I still get a handful of free upgrades every year, and as there is no such published benefit I still see it as a bonus. The fact that I might get 4 instead of 6 might be annoying but honestly can't blame EK for changing something they've never promised you.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Indeed, the Plat above all, then fare types sub-divided by status is the common accepted method discussed on here, however having been part of the discussion that formed that collective opinion on here I'd like to point out that it is all based on hearsay and there has been zero official confirmation of procedure or policy, and as you say, it may have changed again.
The closest I've seen to confirmation was the screenshot that @eternaltransit posted showing an upgrade list with the plats at the top, and then the fares / status following these.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:45 am

Either way, I still get a handful of free upgrades every year, and as there is no such published benefit I still see it as a bonus. The fact that I might get 4 instead of 6 might be annoying but honestly can't blame EK for changing something they've never promised you.
I questioned this guy so as carefully to get the info out of him.He was plain about it ...we give preference to status plat,gold,silver for the op ups,fare basis has nothing to do with it...khalas.
This was about 6 weeks ago.And a busy station.
Me too I've travelled ..fairy recently on lowest Y fares and as gold have been upped to J when the Y was full.Never order the SPML !
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I questioned this guy so as carefully to get the info out of him.He was plain about it ...we give preference to status plat,gold,silver for the op ups,fare basis has nothing to do with it...khalas.
This was about 6 weeks ago.And a busy station.
Me too I've travelled ..fairy recently on lowest Y fares and as gold have been upped to J when the Y was full.Never order the SPML !
Oh yeah I've learnt the SPML lesson!

DYKWIA makes a good point, there was a screenshot confirming op-up order. It is computer-generated, not sure how much they'd know at the station, I've certainly not been upgraded when I've been on oversold flights, even ex India where there are supposedly fewer status pax and 10+ op-ups were handed out.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:45 am

Oh yeah I've learnt the SPML lesson!

DYKWIA makes a good point, there was a screenshot confirming op-up order. It is computer-generated, not sure how much they'd know at the station, I've certainly not been upgraded when I've been on oversold flights, even ex India where there are supposedly fewer status pax and 10+ op-ups were handed out.
Yeah,we all learn from out mistakes !
I 'll try to look into the screenshot op up order.
I fly EK regularly so I get to be familiar with a few of the check in staff.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
Yeah,we all learn from out mistakes !
I 'll try to look into the screenshot op up order.
I fly EK regularly so I get to be familiar with a few of the check in staff.
​​​​​​
Here's the post by @eternaltransit

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28645272-post114.html

I wonder if SimpleDXB ever apologised...
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:36 pm

And prior to that, when it had gone from status to fare type (without the Platinum exception) it was widely discussed and several EK staff confirmed it. I know when I talked to them about it they weren't very impressed and felt there would be a lot of complaints.
Alisonnoonan likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Two weird things:

1) If OP ran into this problem a year ago, why did they get so close to the cutoff AND book a long Emirates flight the day after the qualification period?
2) If OP is booking flex fares, how is he missing out on revenue upgrades?
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:29 am

Indeed.....a lot if these systems are just not built for people trying to play on the margins.

And for everyone who complains that the airline did do what the OP says, you will get someone else complaining that they didn't.

I'd say its a case of suck it up and move on.
ElJudioErrante and XXTSGR like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Originally Posted by simons1
Indeed.....a lot if these systems are just not built for people trying to play on the margins.

And for everyone who complains that the airline did do what the OP says, you will get someone else complaining that they didn't.

I'd say its a case of suck it up and move on.
But if the skywards member asks for their account to be treated according to their published rules it should be done quickly and without stress for them.
Of course there are cases where customers falling less than 100 miles short would appreciate what they have done, but I deliberately booked flights landing home on 1st April when I could have landed 31st March because I wanted to have my status review date reset to April.
They should treat cases individually. I don't think I'm asking too much.
Anyway my platinum Turkish card is about to get some usage over the next few months.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
But if the skywards member asks for their account to be treated according to their published rules it should be done quickly and without stress for them.
Of course there are cases where customers falling less than 100 miles short would appreciate what they have done, but I deliberately booked flights landing home on 1st April when I could have landed 31st March because I wanted to have my status review date reset to April.
Anyway my platinum Turkish card is about to get some usage over the next few months.
I understand how you feel.
With 20 million members , skywards can not treat cases individually !
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Alisonnoonan
Well there are thousands of Skywards members who have queries to sort out, but I agree we should all stand back whilst they attend to you. I realise 1st April was a long time ago and honestly they should have had it cleared up by now.

Good luck on Turkish. I'm sure Emirates are panicking and Sheikh Ahmed has been advised, I hope there won't be a financial meltdown before my reservation on Tuesday.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Here's the post by @eternaltransit

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28645272-post114.html

I wonder if SimpleDXB ever apologised...
What for, no one is ever wrong on the internet

As far as I’ve bothered to enquire, that’s still the system.

ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
Originally Posted by simons1
Well there are thousands of Skywards members who have queries to sort out, but I agree we should all stand back whilst they attend to you. I realise 1st April was a long time ago and honestly they should have had it cleared up by now.

Good luck on Turkish. I'm sure Emirates are panicking and Sheikh Ahmed has been advised, I hope there won't be a financial meltdown before my reservation on Tuesday.
lol!!! Yeah thats exactly what I said.
They have sorted it now. Renewal date set to April. Thanks everyone who waited in queue behind me which I hadn't even realised I had asked for.
Also they didn't mention going bust in my email so you should be safe to fly today.
I've never had any problems with Turkish personally. The inflight entertainment isn't as good, but I find the inflight food and the lounge in Istanbul are vastly superior.

Last edited by Alisonnoonan; Apr 10, 2018 at 2:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.