Fifth Freedom Routes Left

Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Fifth Freedom Routes Left

Now that EK axed its AKL-Australia routes, Im just left wondering what fifth freedom routes do they have left in that area of the world?

There is still BNE/MEL-SIN (never understood why no SYD), SYD-BKK, SIN-CMB, HKG-BKK, CMB-MLE.

Am I missing any?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Now that EK axed its AKL-Australia routes, Im just left wondering what fifth freedom routes do they have left in that area of the world?

There is still BNE/MEL-SIN (never understood why no SYD), SYD-BKK, SIN-CMB, HKG-BKK, CMB-MLE.

Am I missing any?
Sydney Christchurch. Auckland Bali.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=NWplatinum;29589516]Now that EK axed its AKL-Australia routes, Im just left wondering what fifth freedom routes do they have left in that area of the world?

Am I missing any?

LCA/MLA, GIG/EZE , HRE/LUN and I think there's 5th freedom route in W Afr but I can't remember it.
I wouldn't be surprised if EK will,announce more in near future.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:29 pm

Don't forget the most controversial: MXP-JFK, ATH-EWR. ACC-ABJ, CKY-DSS, and RGN-PNH.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
What about CRK-CEB?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
What about CRK-CEB?
No traffic rights.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
No traffic rights.
being domestic I thought as much but that limitation wasn't specified in the OP. Presumably one can fly the route as part of a connecting itinerary to DXB
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:25 am

[QUOTE=skywardhunter;29596729]

being domestic I thought as much but that limitation wasn't specified in the OP. Presumably one can fly the route as part of a connecting itinerary to DXB

...presumably !
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Am I missing any?
GRU/SCL starting 6 July
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
isn't BCN-MEX happening soon??
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by CALMSP
isn't BCN-MEX happening soon??
Supposedly.
I notice that on EK res page that Mexican,Central Am and other new lat am dests have been recently loaded in menu...however not able to reserve, so maybe some kind of code share agreement or similar coming.Point to point BCN/MEX pax traffic is next to negligible, so feeder needs to be at both ends.It will be interesting to see which carrier will feed from European dests into BCN .Any ideas ?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:09 am

It will be interesting to see which carrier will feed from European dests into BCN .Any ideas ?
Air Europa, Ryanair, Vueling and easyJet could all contribute.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Supposedly.
I notice that on EK res page that Mexican,Central Am and other new lat am dests have been recently loaded in menu...however not able to reserve, so maybe some kind of code share agreement or similar coming.Point to point BCN/MEX pax traffic is next to negligible, so feeder needs to be at both ends.It will be interesting to see which carrier will feed from European dests into BCN .Any ideas ?
I'm assuming (Sl)EasyJet will be a given considering they already have a Skywards partnership.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Air Europa, Ryanair, Vueling and easyJet could all contribute.
Yes they could all contribute.so if BCN route does open up,it will be interesting situation. Vueling unlikely as same group as BA/IB. Air Europa has its own lat am network.
Ryanair will be a considerable (involuntary)feeder for the STN EK service when that starts. It won't escape the attention of many people from EEurope/Scandinavia that they can combine a cheap flight to STN on FR and then fly EK to OZ/NZ at cheap ex UK fares this saving a decent amount even if they're limited to a few kgs on FR.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
.......................... It won't escape the attention of many people from EEurope/Scandinavia that they can combine a cheap flight to STN on FR and then fly EK to OZ/NZ at cheap ex UK fares this saving a decent amount even if they're limited to a few kgs on FR.

I’m really not sure I share your views here.

The UK is certainly a very high demand air travel market ; and hugely ‘competitive’ in terms of choice of carriers & frequencies.

That does not, however, necessarily translate into low fares when comparing ex-UK departures versus ex-mainland Europe (and also Republic of Ireland) where almost all airports have fewer frequencies overall than London but where the lower level of demand can lead to significant fare savings - depending, in part, on exchange rates at any given time of course.

I once saved around 1500 GBP on an EK routing in J to Australia, simply by departing from Dublin rather than from London (whether LGW or LHR). Savings can also be had (admittedly, not always) from some Scandinavian countries versus UK.

It remains to be seen whether the STN tariffs really would encourage sizeable numbers of folk based in Europe to come over to the UK if they already have convenient, direct, EK options closer to their home. I have my doubts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.