Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Incident with female crew member at EBB

Old Mar 15, 18, 11:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

Since this is picking up in the F pyjamas thread and is likely to be discussed figured I'd start a thread.

A female cabin crew member fell/jumped from a 77W at EBB (Entebbe, Uganda) and is seriously injured, some reports say deceased. Witnesses indicate it may have been a suicide attempt.

https://m.news24.com/Africa/News/emirates-air-hostess-falls-off-from-plane-in-uganda-reports-20180315

I suggest/request that we respect the dignity and privacy of the person involved, however I realize there will definitely be discussion of it. If anyone has more details please do share them, without infringing on the person and their family involved, but rather to shed light on this incident from an operational perspective and whether EK work environment may have impacted on this occuring.
Old Mar 15, 18, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Twitter sources indicate the died (other tweets not just in that article), also that crew was still required to operate the flight. Is this a turnaround for crew or is there a layover? What about the psychological impact on crew? Some reports that it was a cabin supervisor.
Old Mar 15, 18, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
I am most certain that EBB is a layover destination.

I am on side of it was a suicide attempt, there was a report that she fell/jumped with a glass bottle positioned by her neck and reports indicate she had severe cuts on her body which makes the glass bottle story plausible. I have never seen a crew member open any door while holding any object, so opening a door with a glass bottle in your hand then to "fall out" seems to check out with a suicide attempt that sadly resulted in her possible death upon arrival in hospital ( about a 8 min drive from EBB). I saw photos online, she clearly had major traumatic injuries to her legs, face/head and i also reckon she had shattered her rib cage puncturing her lungs from the way she was faced down, not to mention the heavy amount of blood loss. I am sure more will come to light, thinking of the crew member that was involved and my thoughts are with all involved including the family.

* Updated due to conflicting reports if the crew member is alive or dead as per post #4 .

Last edited by Flame3601; Mar 15, 18 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 15, 18, 12:53 pm

Ugandan CAA says she is alive?

Old Mar 15, 18, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
That's from yesterday, so reports today that she died perhaps the more up to date
Old Mar 15, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Deleted ( I will keep to my original post, but will make mention to conflicting reports on status of the patient.)
Old Mar 15, 18, 2:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Such a tragedy. Someone's daughter, friend, colleague. Having hectic travel schedules surely doesn't help someone who is having struggles that would lead to suicide.
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:15 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Very sad.
Such pain and guilt feeling for those close to her ... (even if it is not a suicide)

As this happened at the work place, EK responsibility will be checked.
Old Mar 15, 18, 4:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm Club, AS MVP, EK Skywards Blue, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold Elite
Very sad.
Old Mar 15, 18, 10:51 pm

It’s not difficult to find many photos of this incident which are of course graphic. According to reports she’s a Bulgarian National called Elena.

What strikes me is the ground staff standing around gawping, gesturing at the other crew member who seems to close the aft door and of course the person who manages to take a number of photos.

No one crouches over her, no one is photographed helping her. It seems reasonable to assume no one thought it had any purpose to try to administer any life saving first aid while the first responders arrive. It’s truly shocking.

When you visit these places it’s always worth remembering that no matter the incident, you just can’t expect the standard of care you would get in more developed parts of the world.

Last edited by hugolover; Mar 15, 18 at 11:00 pm
Old Mar 15, 18, 11:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Itís not difficult to find many photos of this incident which are of course graphic. According to reports sheís a Bulgarian National called Elena.

What strikes me is the ground staff standing around gawping, gesturing at the other crew member who seems to close the aft door and of course the person who manages to take a number of photos.

No one crouches over her, no one is photographed helping her. It seems reasonable to assume no one thought it had any purpose to try to administer any life saving first aid while the first responders arrive. Itís truly shocking.

When you visit these places itís always worth remembering that no matter the incident, you just canít expect the standard of care you would get in more developed parts of the world.
​​​​​​
I don't think we can determine at what point the photos were taken, how much time had had elapsed, and whether those pictures standing nearby are trained in administering first aid. They may have been in shock and lacked confidence in providing assistance.

Sure, standard of care on average may not be comparable, but there are facilities of high quality. available in these countries as well and I am sure that is the type of facility to which she would have been taken.

Let's not publish any further personal data about the person involved and not begin a discussion on the quality of care in African countries as this is the wrong part of FT for that
Old Mar 16, 18, 12:51 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Mental health and stress can take its toll , I feel bad for the survivors as they will carry guilt
Old Mar 16, 18, 1:12 am

I didn't want to post this sad incident due to the immoral way it was covered, and presented on social media.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Mar 16, 18, 1:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOIR View Post
I didn't want to post this sad incident due to the immoral way it was covered, and presented on social media.
​​​​​​Yes I, too, was hesitant, but as explained due to the conversation already taking place in other threads where it was off-topic chose to start this thread. Really sad to see pictures and names published so callously
Old Mar 16, 18, 1:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

No one crouches over her, no one is photographed helping her. It seems reasonable to assume no one thought it had any purpose to try to administer any life saving first aid while the first responders arrive. Itís truly shocking.
Isn't the idea that you don't touch anybody until professionals arrive? If they'd turned her over, a broken rib could have pierced her heart. That's what I recall being told years ago.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: